• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Did Judaism Shape Japan?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Late to this thread..

Haven't read any posts, merely skimmed through some.

I am half Ashkenazi Jew, and half Korean, fwiw, and went to Jewish elementary school for seven years and took Japanese for four, in high school.

If we are talking genetics here, I would definitely posit that the Askenazi Jews and the Japanese are distinctly separate ethnicities.

As for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean races, I would theorize that Japan and Korea acted as founder populations of what was originally a Chinese-originated race. Though now, each race is distinctly different.

I may be wrong, but I do believe that kanji, one of the three forms of Japanese script is exactly the same or similar to Chinese kanji, this sharing of the same ideogramatic language might be indicative of a closer genetic correlation.

What is lol-worthy, is that someone could easily research this on the internet, right now, but I feel lazy, so I am not gonna do it. :p

I actually own a book called The Jews and the Japanese, but due to a lack of bookshelf space it got relegated to a box of books in my garage.

Once again, I did not yet look at the articles, or read the posts, but I would say there are certain cultural aspects that both races share.

But due to the politically correct environment we live in, I would be fearful to comment on these similarities I have observed.

:peepwall:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Ashkenazi Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In an ethnic sense, an Ashkenazi Jew is one whose ancestry can be traced to the Jews of Central and Eastern Europe. For roughly a thousand years, the Ashkenazim were a reproductively isolated population in Europe, despite living in many countries, with little inflow or outflow from migration, conversion, or intermarriage with other groups, including other Jews. Human geneticists have identified genetic variations that have high frequencies among Ashkenazi Jews, but not in the general European population. This is true for patrilineal markers (Y-chromosome haplotypes) as well as for matrilineal markers (mitochondrial haplotypes).[10]

Since the middle of the 20th century, many Ashkenazi Jews have intermarried, both with members of other Jewish communities and with people of other nations and faiths, while some Jews have also adopted children from other ethnic groups or parts of the world and raised them as Jews. Conversion to Judaism, rare for nearly 2,000 years, has become more common. Jewish women and families who choose artificial insemination often choose a biological father who is not Jewish, to avoid common autosomal recessive genetic diseases. Orthodox religious authorities actually encourage this, because of the danger that a Jewish donor could be a mamzer. Thus, the concept of Ashkenazi Jews as a distinct ethnic people, especially in ways that can be defined ancestrally and therefore traced genetically, has also blurred considerably.

A study by Michael Seldin, a geneticist at the University of California Davis School of Medicine, found Ashkenazi Jews to be a clear, relatively homogenous genetic subgroup. Strikingly, regardless of the place of origin, Ashkenazi Jews can be grouped in the same genetic cohort — that is, regardless of whether an Ashkenazi Jew's ancestors came from Poland, Russia, Hungary, Lithuania, or any other place with a historical Jewish population, they belong to the same ethnic group. The research demonstrates the endogamy of the Jewish population in Europe and lends further credence to the idea of Ashkenazi Jews as an ethnic group. Moreover, though intermarriage among Jews of Ashkenazi descent has become increasingly more common, many Ultra-Orthodox Jews, particularly members Hasidic or Hareidi sects, continue to marry exclusively fellow Ashkenazi Jews. This trend keeps Ashkenazi genes prevalent and will also help researchers further study the genes of Ashkenazi Jews with relative ease. It is also noteworthy that these Ultra-Orthodox Jews often have extremely large families too

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Either way, there were Chinese Jews.

And, I still believe this too.

Chinese Jews immigrating are the most likely explanation for why there seemed to be wide spread Jewish-like practices in almost every part of ancient Japanese life.

If you actually take the time to comb through the three long pages of evidence, you will see the pervasive presence on almost every single level. And that warrants it interesting enough to wonder how it came about.

I read many parts of it, it seems very interesting, but I cannot trust these sources. I have no knowledge f the Japanese rituals and mythology; these links could feed me anything.

They also do not provide us with the dates of these Jewish and Japanese traditions to see if the association is possible.

This needs a devil's advocate.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Y-Chromosome

Origin of YAP+ lineages of the human Y-chromosome

Am J Phys Anthropol. 2000 Jun;112(2):149-58. Related Articles, Links Click here to read Origin of YAP+ lineages of the human Y-chromosome. Bravi CM, Bailliet G, Martinez-Marignac VL, Bianchi NO. Multidisciplinary Institute of Cell Biology (IMBICE), 1900 La Plata, Argentina.

We screened a total of 841 Y-chromosomes representing 36 human populations of wide geographical distribution for the presence of a Y-specific Alu insert (YAP+ chromosomes). The Alu element was found in 77 cases. We tested 5 biallelic and 8 polyallelic markers in 70 out of the 77 YAP+ chromosomes. We could identify the existence of a hierarchical and chronological structuring of ancestral and derived YAP+ lineages, giving rise to 4 haplogroups, 14 subhaplogroups and 60 haplotypes. Moreover, we propose a monophyletic origin for each one of the YAP+ lineages. Out-of-Africa and out-of-Asia models have been suggested to explain the origin
-------------------------------

In this article, only three asian groups (Japanese, Tibetan, Jew), african, and a few European have a genetic marker YAP+ on the non-recombining portion of Y-chromosomes.

Tibetan (Central Asian): 1 out of 1 sample
Japanese: 4 out of 13 samples
Chinese: 0 out of 23 samples
Laotian: 0 of 7 samples
Cambodian: 0 out of 3 samples
South East Asians: 0 out of 16 samples
South Asians: 0 out of 152 samples
Jews: 4 out of 18 samples
Lebanese: 0 out of 2 samples
Syrian: 0 out of 6 samples
Melanesian: 0 out of 2 samples
African: 37 out of 72 samples
European: 3 out of 68 samples

Multiple origins of Tibetan Y chromosomes.Qian Y, Qian B, Su B, Yu J, Ke Y, Chu Z, Shi L, Lu D, Chu J, Jin L. Institute of Medical Biology, The Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Kunming, Yunnan, China.

The genetic origin of Tibetans was investigated using Y chromosome markers. A total of three populations were studied, two from central Tibet speaking central Tibetan and one from Yunnan speaking Kham. Two dominant paternal lineages (>80%) were identified in all three populations with one possibly from central Asia (YAP+) and the other from east Asia (M122C). We conclude that Tibetan Y chromosomes may have been derived from two different gene pools, given the virtual absence of M122C in central Asia and YAP+ in east Asia, with drift an unlikely mechanism accounting for these observations.

PMID: 10830914 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

MBTI Type
INxJ
Misc:

Yes, there is a genetic and historical connection between a segment of both the Japanese and Jewish populations. The genetic relationship pre-dates the genesis of both cultures, and is a genetic footprint of the original Africans in all of us. What a funny surprise it was for me to learn that I as an American of Okinawan descent had the same y-chromosome variant, (beachcomber yap+), as my American of Polish Jewish descent, (Cohen gene yap-), brother-in-law.

Also:

freq.jpg

japan1.jpg

Fig. 2 Maximum-parsimonytree of 44 Y chromosome haplogroups together with their frequencies in Japan and five Asian regions. Samples sizes for each region: Japan 259; northeast Asia (NEA) 441; Southeast Asia (SEA) 683; central Asia (CAS) 419; south Asia (SAS) 496; Oceania (OCE) 209. Major clades (i.e., C窶迭) are labeled with upper case letters to the left of each clade. Mutation names are given along the branches. The length of each branch is not proportional to the number of mutations or the age of the mutation. Dotted lines indicate internal nodes not defined by downstream markers (i.e., paragroups). The names of the 41 haplogroups observed in the present study are shown to the right of the branches. Haplogroup frequencies are shown on the far right, and frequencies of selected Japanese clades are shown within black boxes.

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
The Japanese part of my family is heavily Ainu...

Does your family still follow traditional Ainu customs? I found out that I had some Ainu blood. I am fascinated with the culture. I always thought they were closely related to the Native Americans.

S

Sniffles

Ainu are a Caucasian people I believe, which in standard everyday terms means they're more related to Whites.

That was one ideological justification for the Axis alliance between Germany and Japan; claiming the Japanese were long distant "Aryan" cousins. Hitler himself remarked favorably about the Japanese Samurai ethos, claiming it was in full line with Nordic heroism(think Vikings).

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
That was one ideological justification for the Axis alliance between Germany and Japan; claiming the Japanese were long distant "Aryan" cousins..

Ironically the thread is about them being related to Jews.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does your family still follow traditional Ainu customs? I found out that I had some Ainu blood. I am fascinated with the culture. I always thought they were closely related to the Native Americans.

Not really, just a few family recipies. This stuff for me is going to take some time to research.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is no chance. Have you looked at a map ?

No chance, eh? Were you aware that the Mongol traversed the waters between China and Japan many times, and odds are the only reason they didn't take Japan over was because their last, enormous fleet was destroyed by a freak typhoon. But I'll grant you that Mongols were much later than the time that we are likely talking about here.

However, I ask you, if it is not possible to go through that area with primitive technology, then how did mongoloid people ever make it to Japan in the first place?

You need to recall that apparently, one of the first places humans inhabited outside of Africa was Australia. When it comes to sailing high seas, and surviving arid climates, we are very good at it.

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well, comparing modern day Israel and Japan, the similarities are utterly striking. Both are extremely intelligent nations that make do with little to no natural resources and have extremely disciplined and beautiful people.

While this is surprising that Judaism shaped Japanese culture (and makes me proud to be a Jew!), this also seems less surprising than something completely out of the blue.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Well, comparing modern day Israel and Japan, the similarities are utterly striking. Both are extremely intelligent nations that make do with little to no natural resources and have extremely disciplined and beautiful people.

While this is surprising that Judaism shaped Japanese culture (and makes me proud to be a Jew!), this also seems less surprising than something completely out of the blue.

Actually, there was an Israeli/Jewish official that went to Japan and confirmed they did indeed have a strong connection; that more research needs to be done.

As soon as I find that quote, I will post it.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Interesting links in the OP. Although in present day, if anything has shaped Japan, I'd say it's Western industrialization.

The Japanese and Jews are arguably the two most successful ethnic groups in America, in proportion to their population. I saw some studies a while ago, and believe those two groups were shown most likely to have high IQs and high financial income... so they're doing something right.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Interesting links in the OP. Although in present day, if anything has shaped Japan, I'd say it's Western industrialization.

I would definitely agree with this. I forgot to mention in the OP, that I was only referring to ancient Japan being shaped by Judaism.

What I find most interesting are the specific Y chromosome connections. It seems only the Japanese, Jews (of mostly Caucasian origin), and Africans have them.

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ

The Japanese and Jews are arguably the two most successful ethnic groups in America, in proportion to their population. I saw some studies a while ago, and believe those two groups were shown most likely to have high IQs and high financial income... so they're doing something right.

Well consider this:

the west itself is built upon the Judeo-Christian heritage. Some people are religious, some not. But it is the foundation for our society. Which we then transferred to Japan post WW2.

But for all of that, I think the ancient Japanese rituals and shinto and their temples are just awesome. You feel more peaceful just by seeing some of that on TV (like in the I Survived a Japanese Gameshow TV show)

MBTI Type
INxJ
But for all of that, I think the ancient Japanese rituals and shinto and their temples are just awesome. You feel more peaceful just by seeing some of that on TV (like in the I Survived a Japanese Gameshow TV show)

If you look at the links posted in the OP, you will see the numerous similarities between early Judaism and ancient Japan. In the present, it's almost like your admiring your own heritage through the implementation of an (arguably Jewish) foundation that built young Japan.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Official Statement:

Israeli officials publicly acknowledge the mysterious similarities between Judaism and Japan. Recently, in March of 2007, Rabbi Avichail of the Israeli Investigative Body Amishav, which searches for descendants of the Lost Tribes, arrived in Japan. Although they only stayed for a short amount of time, the investigative body concluded that "There is no doubt that there is some kind of strong connection between Judaism and Japan. More research is needed to determine the details."

Also Interesting:

Modern Documentation of Jews in Japan - The Jews of Kobe

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
This seems like the same claims made by Ethiopian Jews.

In the end, the answer is relatively simple . . .

The Oral Traditions, the Torah, and the Talmud are well traveled words and well traveled documents. These documents and words have influenced cultures, shaped new theologies, and have been utilized as the foundation for the worlds major religions. Hence, you do not need a Rabbi or a Lost Tribe to land on an island in order to influence a society.

MBTI Type
INxJ
The Oral Traditions, the Torah, and the Talmud are well traveled words and well traveled documents. These documents and words have influenced cultures, shaped new theologies, and have been utilized as the foundation for the worlds major religions. Hence, you do not need a Rabbi or a Lost Tribe to land on an island in order to influence a society.

Right-o, good sir. That is the most likely explanation. Yet, it still pleases me to know the influence was there, regardless of origin.

The Ethiopian claim as a lost tribe was made official and legal, a long time ago. Enough so, that Israel had two rescue missions to bring them back to their 'homeland'. The chief rabbis believe they were descended from the Tribe of Dan, and they have DNA to back it up. Basically, the rare Y haplotype that's only found in small percentages of Africans, Jews, Caucasian Europeans, and the Japanese.

Also, the same Rabbi that made the official statement about the connection between Japan and Judaism, was a great force in helping to reinstate Bnei Menashe. A lost tribe in India, descended from the Tribe of Menashe and the Tribe of Ephraim. They are still required to undergo conversion in Israel, but they have legal right of Aliya and have been assimilating in Israel since 2006. Either way, some of the lost tribe claims are substantial enough to warrant legal recognition of Jewish status from the chief rabbis.