User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 144

  1. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    How much longer do we have to keep marginalizing and watering-down the Abrahamic religions until we can move on and be done with them?

    Reform/Cultural/Secular Judaism is definitely on the right path though. I think Jews have taken to secular and liberal ideas much better than Christians, and 10x better than Muslims.

    I guess I just want the practically-agnostic Jews to come over to the secular agnostic/atheist team.
    Already there! Love Jews, hate religion. Religion is bullshit. That doesn't change the fact that just about every single Jewish holiday can be summed up in nine words:

    "They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat."

    Except for Yom Kippur, when we own up to the fact that we're not perfect by NOT eating :lol:
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

  2. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    How much longer can reform movements in religion take non-religious modern and Enlightenment ideas and critique and change their religion until their movement becomes more a reflection of those non-religious ideas? I'm all for progression in religion though, I think my issue is mostly semantic.

    I don't have a problem with faith though, some people seem to need it.
    Religion typically includes a supernatural element, but not always.

    Religion seems to be a specific collective of personal beliefs, that people physically participate in. Technically, people could believe anything. What makes a set of ideas religious, is how they institutionalize it.

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Sorry, I haven't read the thread yet, just read the first post and watching the movies, and typing a response as the movie progresses.

    Response to intro - I notice that I heard a lot of "KILL THEM" "HATE FAGGOTS" etc. "The bible has been used to segregate race, women, and now gays."
    Often times, I suppress my beliefs on topics such as this because I don't care to get into debates with people about MY beliefs, nor do I care to push MY beliefs on others. Before going any further, yes, I am religious. No, I am not perfect in any way, shape, or form. To be completely honest here, any Christian that ever says "Hate Faggots" "They should die" or anything along that line, is not a Christian. You must keep that in mind. It is actually a tactic used to help spread hatred against Christianity, thus ruining it's reputation. Anyone can embrace a religion and say they represent it when they don't. It's hypocritical, and many people don't see past that, and automatically assume that all Christians share that belief. How often I hear people trash talk my religion, and I don't categorize all atheists.

    Part 1- The biggest misconception about Christianity(because it is spread so much.. a rumor) is that God and all Christians HATE gays. Incorrect. Homosexuality is considered to be a SIN, and it is the sinful behavior that is not tolerated. It is not the people. And by no means is homosexuality considered any worse than any of the other sins, gluttony, sloth, promiscuous, etc. For God does love all, including homosexuals, he hates none. Just the acts. I've had lots of gay friends in middle school and high school, some close, some not, and it's not about hating people. Being an Asian guy, I've gotten hit on a lot by gay people, and I don't get offended in any way, I just let them know I'm not gay, and that's all.

    Oh wow, there are a lot of parts, I can't watch all of it.
    Anyways, I'll cut my post short and leave it at that, lol.

  4. #84
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    I actually cringe at many of the modernizations of the Bible and it's teachings. It actually gets me quite angry when I see bits and pieces being hacked off (see Matthew 17:21 in the newer editions of the NIV for one such example). That said, the whole thing can be summarized pretty nicely: Love and obey God; Love the people around you. The second is easy to understand and accept by most people, but the first has always been an issue from day six.

    First, we have been given a will of our own and license to do with it as we please even though every action has it's consequence. God did not want robots, he wanted people who would choose him. The thing is, to choose him you must also obey him.

    The act of homosexuality, though talked about by most as a fire and brimstone situation is really just a disobedience to what was set in motion on the 6th day:
    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis 2:21-24
    21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. 22 Then the rib which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.
    23 And Adam said:
    This is now bone of my bones
    And flesh of my flesh;
    She shall be called Woman,
    Because she was taken out of Man.

    24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
    God set it in motion to be and Jesus did not undo it in the New Testament making it just as valid now as it was then. It is part of what is in there as much as people want to question the origin of the writings.

    This, however brings me back to the issue of only taking what you like and throwing the rest when it comes to the Bible. There is actually a curse at the end when dealing with adding or removing:
    Quote Originally Posted by Revelations 22:18-19
    18 For[i] I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add[j] to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away[k] his part from the Book[l] of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
    If you're going to take some of it, take all of it. There is no rule saying "Do not question anything," but for the love of God don't go cutting things up; especially if you just don't like it or it doesn't jive with what you understand in the moment.


    Ok, so I'm ready to be filleted now. Do keep in mind I'd make a good pillow. =^.^=
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Interesting excerpt:

    "...we watched the end of one of those old Bible movies, and the end was the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. My little girl turned to me with big eyes, and said, "Is God a monster, Mommy?" I said, "Of course, not." "Then why did he do that to all those people?..."

    I'm halfway through the video.
    Ahh. Religion would go so much more smoothly if no children were born with Fi.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

  6. #86
    Senior Member Anja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    2,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Not really.

    All religions are completely unfounded. Regardless of creation and interpretation, they are all equally fiction until proven otherwise. So, it doesn't matter if new branches are created from an Orthodox source. They all have the same nebulous value.
    This is funny. Another example of the difference and misunderstandings between the Tee and Eff.

    I was saying what you are saying in a different way. "Just drop it and make something new up!"

    Like, why try to twist something which exists, and is not what you want, into something different which is what you want? Seems absurd to me.

    I suppose revisionism makes people feel more comfortable. It feels as though one hasn't abandoned the "one true faith." But it seems to me like a dishonest concept. It is no longer the one originally offered. To make it subjective robs it of its universal application. The problem with religion.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

  7. #87
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    You know, I'm getting tired of discussing with people on a theological basis what is and is not wrong. On that sort of basis, we're all bullshitting each other -- none of us have a definitive corner on what we're talking about. None of us. In any abstracted conversation, we're all just making noise. (Even myself.)

    If there's a God, and He made all this, and he has some sort of inherent morality, the only "objective" stance as to what that morality is is that it needs to conform to real life.

    If certain acts in real life consistently and directly lead to bad places and destroyed relationships, then they can be considered "morally wrong" from a psychological and relational-health POV.

    (And the word "directly" is crucial here because often a particular behavior is considered taboo on what actually is a personal and arbitrary basis, and the judgment is actually what is leading to the conflict -- if people would just leave well enough alone and stop damning others over it, the negative ramifications would not manifest.)

    If those acts damned by the theology do NOT lead to those broken relationships and a stunting of psychological growth as inherent qualities of those acts themselves, then I can't believe them to be inherently wrong and the theology just needs to be ignored or at least not imposed on others.

    Morality is not theoretical; if particular moral rules are not inherent within the framework of how people function and grow, then it's an arbitrary judgment and causes a lot more harm than good.

    A lot of the crap people argue about (homosexuality included) is argued on a theological basis rather than an experiential/realistic one, and it has wreaked hell on earth for a long long time. My heart's just tired over all of this.

    I'm also tired of hearing "I love the sinner, hate the sin." It never plays out that way; the implicit judgments cause a lot of crap to occur anyway. In practice, it's not as big a distinction as people make it out to be; it tends to just be a cop-out for, "I'm not going to engage in conversation because I don't feel like changing what I believe, but don't worry, I'll try real hard not to be mean to you anyway." It allows the misunderstanding and distance to remain -- a lack of awareness of the shared humanity of the people in question. I'd rather have people seriously engage each other on an intimate basis and maybe forge some relational bonds.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #88
    Senior Member Anja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    2,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    You know, I'm getting tired of discussing with people on a theological basis what is and is not wrong. On that sort of basis, we're all bullshitting each other -- none of us have a definitive corner on what we're talking about. None of us. In any abstracted conversation, we're all just making noise. (Even myself.)

    If there's a God, and He made all this, and he has some sort of inherent morality, the only "objective" stance as to what that morality is is that it needs to conform to real life.

    If certain acts in real life consistently and directly lead to bad places and destroyed relationships, then they can be considered "morally wrong" from a psychological and relational-health POV.

    (And the word "directly" is crucial here because often a particular behavior is considered taboo on what actually is a personal and arbitrary basis, and the judgment is actually what is leading to the conflict -- if people would just leave well enough alone and stop damning others over it, the negative ramifications would not manifest.)

    If those acts damned by the theology do NOT lead to those broken relationships and a stunting of psychological growth as inherent qualities of those acts themselves, then I can't believe them to be inherently wrong and the theology just needs to be ignored or at least not imposed on others.

    Morality is not theoretical; if particular moral rules are not inherent within the framework of how people function and grow, then it's an arbitrary judgment and causes a lot more harm than good.

    A lot of the crap people argue about (homosexuality included) is argued on a theological basis rather than an experiential/realistic one, and it has wreaked hell on earth for a long long time. My heart's just tired over all of this.

    I'm also tired of hearing "I love the sinner, hate the sin." It never plays out that way; the implicit judgments cause a lot of crap to occur anyway. In practice, it's not as big a distinction as people make it out to be; it tends to just be a cop-out for, "I'm not going to engage in conversation because I don't feel like changing what I believe, but don't worry, I'll try real hard not to be mean to you anyway." It allows the misunderstanding and distance to remain -- a lack of awareness of the shared humanity of the people in question. I'd rather have people seriously engage each other on an intimate basis and maybe forge some relational bonds.

    Me too and I doubt that it will ever change. That's why I opted out. Couldn't stand the inconsistencies anymore.

    It reminds me of the thread I started where I talked about being puzzled by Christians who, in an attempt to modernize their religious viewpoint, say that God and Buddha and Zeus and all them other guys are all the same thing anyway. Bible says not. But you can't be politically incorrect and be a good Christian these days so we have to make an effort to twist it to fit.

    I truly don't see how anyone can live in modern culture and practice nearly any religion!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

  9. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    I apologize Jennifer. I just have one final statement to make on the subject.


    Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I suppose revisionism makes people feel more comfortable. It feels as though one hasn't abandoned the "one true faith." But it seems to me like a dishonest concept. It is no longer the one originally offered. To make it subjective robs it of its universal application. The problem with religion.
    By that logic, every religion that isn't Orthodox Judaism is dishonest. Including Christianity and Islam, as they were branches off the first widely used and documented "original." Religions aren't superior to each other. Only people's perceptions of them. Even the "original" states there are many paths to God.

    Here:

    Jews have never believed themselves possessed of the only "true" faith or exclusive pathway to God, which is why Judaism was never a missionary religion. Since the rabbis taught that all the righteous among the nations could attain "the world to come," there was no need to save the souls of non-Jews; their own religions gave them access to the Holy One and salvation.

    ALL religion is subjective. It doesn't become even more so, just because it's a branch off of.

  10. #90
    Senior Member Warm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tenINsFJ View Post
    To be completely honest here, any Christian that ever says "Hate Faggots" "They should die" or anything along that line, is not a Christian. You must keep that in mind. It is actually a tactic used to help spread hatred against Christianity, thus ruining it's reputation. Anyone can embrace a religion and say they represent it when they don't. It's hypocritical, and many people don't see past that, and automatically assume that all Christians share that belief. How often I hear people trash talk my religion, and I don't categorize all atheists.

    Part 1- The biggest misconception about Christianity(because it is spread so much.. a rumor) is that God and all Christians HATE gays. Incorrect. Homosexuality is considered to be a SIN, and it is the sinful behavior that is not tolerated. It is not the people. And by no means is homosexuality considered any worse than any of the other sins, gluttony, sloth, promiscuous, etc. For God does love all, including homosexuals, he hates none. Just the acts. I've had lots of gay friends in middle school and high school, some close, some not, and it's not about hating people.
    Amen.

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] How do you tell the difference between an INTP and an INTJ?
    By FFF in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-11-2012, 02:07 PM
  2. Humanism the basis for the world's religions and philosophy
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-25-2011, 11:40 PM
  3. [MBTItm] How do you tell the difference between an ISFP and ISTP?
    By ItsAlwaysSunny in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-06-2011, 03:00 PM
  4. [INTJ] For the love of an INTJ
    By Algora J in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 03:16 AM
  5. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 03:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO