User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    She's basically told me that "she loves who she loves," and it doesn't matter to her whether it's a male or female, she just loves THEM.
    That is how I prefer to identify, but my straight friends are all, "Oh, that totally means you are gay," and my gay friends are all, "You are just going through the whole bisexual phase thing." Most of my sexual attraction is geared toward emotional attraction, so gender is fairly irrelevant. However, more often than not I'll identify as gay simply because I've found it far easier to form emotional connections with guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

To the OP:

reminds me of something my best friend said once- her dad is a Republican in almost every sense of the word, but his brother, who he is close to, is gay. He decided to read several versions of the Bible and even listened to several versions on CD in his car trying to find out whether or not it condemns homosexuality and couldn't prove that it did.

My honorary younger sister's parents both graduated from Yale Divinity School with PhDs and studied both biblical languages and translations of the Bible and thier only conclusion on the topic was that it was a mistranslation- the Bible says that it's bad for men to sleep with little boys, not other men... oh the problems that a mistranslation can cause :rolli:
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    The reform sect of Judaism believes there is nothing wrong with homosexuality. Reform Jews make up about 45% of Jews in America. The Tanakh is basically selected parts of the Bible they believe in.

I know at least 5 (actively practicing) Jewish lesbians. Not all religions are as represented in the video.
    Well, they're clearly all going to straight to Hell.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    That is how I prefer to identify, but my straight friends are all, "Oh, that totally means you are gay," and my gay friends are all, "You are just going through the whole bisexual phase thing." Most of my sexual attraction is geared toward emotional attraction, so gender is fairly irrelevant. However, more often than not I'll identify as gay simply because I've found it far easier to form emotional connections with guys.
    I have a couple of friends who feel like this. They identify usually as "pansexual" or "omnisexual" because their sexual attractions to people are unrelated to gender. Does this sound like you?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    That is how I prefer to identify, but my straight friends are all, "Oh, that totally means you are gay," and my gay friends are all, "You are just going through the whole bisexual phase thing."
    Meh, I don't know if I agree with either of those.

Maybe patterns exist, but there's usually not point in trying to box someone up. We have to worry about ourselves and let other people find their own way, although sharing what we've gone through can provide useful information to them.

(I know my narrative has followed many of the others ones I've heard before, but I'm careful to avoid telling someone that their story will be similar. That's their job to figure out, and I'll help them get to wherever they need to go.)

Most of my sexual attraction is geared toward emotional attraction, so gender is fairly irrelevant. However, more often than not I'll identify as gay simply because I've found it far easier to form emotional connections with guys.
    It's very weird, I have to admit. I know I've felt different levels of sexual attraction (where that could include variations of physical attraction as well as emotional attraction and whatever else) to various people, and I don't know how to parse it easily.

The older I get, too, the more my views become like the friend I described. I find myself having deep feelings towards a few people on both sides of the gender spectrum, and even if I don't feel a physically sexual urge, the emotional bond is what I always took to mean "love"... and I have no idea what that means. I can't imagine any of those relationship fulfilling ALL my needs and wants, either... but is it still love of the level most people associate with lifelong commitment and romantic love? Maybe.

Sorry, this is taking your OP far afield.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I have a couple of friends who feel like this. They identify usually as "pansexual" or "omnisexual" because their sexual attractions to people are unrelated to gender. Does this sound like you?
    That sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Sorry, this is taking your OP far afield.
    No problem. The limit to this thread is how many people actually watch the documentary so any extra mileage that it earns is just icing. You have provided some new and interesting insights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INTJ

Re biblical translation/interpretation -l my cousin the priest had a funny bit of enlightenment when doing her direct translations:
    when a person accepts Jesus etc they are not "born again" but "born anew" ("a second time" / "going back to a previous state/position" vs "going forward in a new different or more positive way") so there's a whole identification as "born again Christians" that is based on a mistranslation...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by creativeRhino View Post
    when a person accepts Jesus etc they are not "born again" but "born anew" ("a second time" / "going back to a previous state/position" vs "going forward in a new different or more positive way") so there's a whole identification as "born again Christians" that is based on a mistranslation...

yeah, things like that make it hard for me to be a "literalist" or say there is a definitive singular explanation for each scripture verse. It makes no sense for the conservatives to quibble over very specific readings when nothing can be pinpointed beyond a "general grasp/gist" of a passage, but they make many things hinge on very tiny nuances.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Every time I see this thread I start singing "Yeees, Jesus loves meeee. For The Bible tells me so..."

That's all I had to say.

MBTI
    INFP

Me too, Hmm!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer