User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INxJ

Interesting excerpt:

If youíre going to quote the whole Sodom and Gomorrah story from the Bible, think about it first. Do you really want to base your entire argument on that particular piece? When my daughter was three-years-old, we watched the end of one of those old Bible movies, and the end was the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. My little girl turned to me with big eyes, and said, "Is God a monster, Mommy?" I said, "Of course, not." "Then why did he do that to all those people?" To that, I had no good reply, so I went out searching for Bible scholars, who would surely have a better take on the events than I did. What I found was that this story has puzzled Bible scholars for centuries, and that they donít really have a good explanation either. Lot, the only "good" man in the whole city, offers his virgin daughters to the male mob to be gang raped so he can save his Angelic visitors. I know that protecting your guests is very important in the culture, but that seems a little extreme. Do you really want to base your judgment on the story of a man who offers his daughters up for rape, and after escaping, with the help of Angels, from the doomed city, has sex with those same daughters, himself? Is this really the religious example you want to stand behind? I mean, if youíre against male homosexuality, as Lot was, are you also for rape of women and incest? Of course, not. But why is one attitude more outrageous than the other?

One of the most poignant guest speakers I ever heard in Church was a guest pastor. He was from a wealthy parish, or had been, and he told us a story. A story of young girl, who was exhibiting signs of serious depression. He talked to her, and came to find out, that she was being sexually abused by her father and her brother. The father had convinced her that the Bible said it was all right for a father to have sex with his daughter. One of the stories he used to pressure his child into sex was Lotís story. When the guest pastor finished speaking, the silence in the church was thunderous. We all sat there, stunned. Stunned at the evil of it. Stunned that a book that had so much good in it, could be used for such wicked purpose. Iíve never forgotten that moment. It was the moment when I began to put serious thought into how I read the Bible, and how other people might read it.
    I'm halfway through the video.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Interesting quote:

I'm halfway through the video.
    Oh wow... I think I'm going to have me a look

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I agree. I think it would be best if people try to hold off on commenting until they do see the video.

And it doesn't have to be watched all at once folks.
    I watched the first 10 minutes or so... and I got fed up. Fed up with bigotry, fed up with the bible. For the religious folks here, forgive me if I offend, but I cannot see how the bible can be words from god (providing that god exists in the first place). Let's assume god does exists, and he directed the prophets to write the bible. In this case, the bible is STILL a translation. Subjected to biases by the writer. To read the bible (assuming it is truth) literally is foolishness. A ton of things changed in the world.

You should not eat uncooked meat... all meat should be well-done. How many religious people do that? Eat their steaks well-done? That's also stated in the bible. Yet people don't follow it. Clearly people are picking and choosing to follow what they like. Righteous hypocrisy is still hypocrisy no matter how you disguise it.

I must say I like the intro song though... Well placed irony "God loves me... for the bible tells me so."

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    I watched the first 10 minutes or so... and I got fed up. Fed up with bigotry, fed up with the bible. For the religious folks here, forgive me if I offend, but I cannot see how the bible can be words from god (providing that god exists in the first place). Let's assume god does exists, and he directed the prophets to write the bible. In this case, the bible is STILL a translation. Subjected to biases by the writer. To read the bible (assuming it is truth) literally is foolishness. A ton of things changed in the world.
    The reform sect of Judaism believes there is nothing wrong with homosexuality. Reform Jews make up about 45% of Jews in America. The Tanakh is basically selected parts of the Bible they believe in.

I know at least 5 (actively practicing) Jewish lesbians. Not all religions are as represented in the video.

Sniffles

Wow, barely three minutes into it, and I'm already Godwined and given all the other typical analogies to racism, sexism, slavery, etc.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    The reform sect of Judaism believes there is nothing wrong with homosexuality. Reform Jews make up about 45% of Jews in America. The Tanakh is basically selected parts of the Bible they believe in.

I know at least 5 (actively practicing) Jewish lesbians. Not all religions are as represented in the video.
    And there are plenty of Catholics who see nothing wrong with it.

My prediction is that the majority of the followers of the major religions are going to have such a liberal interpretation of their religion in 100 or so years that a lot of the negatives we associate with religion will have become very much lessened, but not dormant.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Thank you for posting this Kiddo! I am always disgusted by the prejudice that a lot of religious people have for homosexuals and i am even more disgusted by the fact that they commonly misuse the bible to support this prejudice. What this video taught me is that some people often need to have a gay son or daughter to learn to be accepting and to truly educate themselves. This is sad to me.

I'm very ashamed to say that i live in a family full of homophobic people and i am constantly bashed for accepting and embracing homosexuality. My mom once actually asked me to not let my son be around my gay friends, because it might make him gay. I'm more concerned that my son will become a decent human being, who accepts people for who they are.

Thank you again for posting this.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    And there are plenty of Catholics who see nothing wrong with it.

My prediction is that the majority of the followers of the major religions are going to have such a liberal interpretation of their religion in 100 or so years that a lot of the negatives we associate with religion will have become very much lessened, but not dormant.
    Reform Judaism doesn't even include homosexuality being wrong in their rules and regulations.

Yet, regardless of religious texts in most religions claiming it's a "sin", I hope people do see that certain aesthetic guidelines no longer serve the public good. As your prediction states.

MBTI
    IsTP

The whole concept of sin is hilarious to me. Like someone is really keeping score how many times I spank my monkey a day? When I die, I've GOT to meet the guy keeping score of that information. Wonder if there are MBTI types in hell?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    The whole concept of sin is hilarious to me. Like someone is really keeping score how many times I spank my monkey a day? When I die, I've GOT to meet the guy keeping score of that information. Wonder if there are MBTI types in hell?
    God is watching everything you do
    When you get undressed or take a shower
    When you touch yourself for hour after hour
    God is watching everything you do
    And He thinks you're a nasty, naughty nympho slut!
    You sinful filthy whore you're going to hell!
    Your flesh will burn, your bones will churn
    Your soul will be torn asunder
    You wretched heathen heretic, burn in hell
    For eternity!
    So you better remember!
    God is watching everything you do!