User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Church of MBTI

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Default Church of MBTI

So what do you think ? Isnt it getting too far ?

Especially the posts by F types I read are pretty hard to swallow. Things like: "Dont worry I am just that way because I am NP".

Do you think, it makes for a healthy society, if everybody, who has got questions,justifies his actions through a concept, they havent really intrapersonalized themselves, but borrowed from another persons mind ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

yes it's definitely gone too far but there is too much joy people get from it so it's unlikely to stop.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

We all borrow from each other's minds, that's not the problem. The problem is people try to explain EVERY LAST THING about themselves using only type theory. Your gender, culture, age, socioeconomic status are all stronger influences on your thoughts and behaviors, but type theory is so engaging that people will reach for it first and lastly when understanding themselves.

However, to answer your question, I don't think an MBTI "church" would be so far-fetched. There's so much unscientific literature out there about it that you might akin it to scientology.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    So what do you think ? Isnt it getting too far ?

Especially the posts by F types I read are pretty hard to swallow. Things like: "Dont worry I am just that way because I am NP".

Do you think, it makes for a healthy society, if everybody, who has got questions,justifies his actions through a concept, they havent really intrapersonalized themselves, but borrowed from another persons mind ?
    Indeed, but I hardly think F types have a monopoly on the misuse of too little type knowledge on this forum. Equally silly and immature, for example, is the common tendency of T types to dismiss something said by an F-type as being irrational, unimportant, etc because it is said by an F-type, who they are assuming to be wishy-washy and irrational sue to their personal prejudice, not because they have actually analysed what they said in depth. The most productive use I can see for knowledge of type is to enhance one's understanding of self and others, leading to greater personal security, better relationships, and more interpersonal effectiveness. If, however, people choose to use what knowledge they have of type to fuel the fires of their psychological defenses, they have only themselves to blame if the above-mentioned three circumstances do not improve for them. It is also a way of using MBTI type, just not a very sensible one unless your philosophy of life is Nihilism.

MBTI
    istp

Do not question the words of Jung the Judicious, who guides us through his infallible theories, and is one and yet three with Briggs the Mother and Myers the Daughter. For ye, as the N doth question so shall the S follow with great eagerness, and F shall clasp hands with T and with everlasting joy the populace shall cry out in praise of the Indicator of Type. So it is written.
    No offense.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

It goes too far when individuals go too far. Which they can't help doing, because people are ridiculous and stupid.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Thx, I am glad I am not alone with my opinion.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    We all borrow from each other's minds, that's not the problem. The problem is people try to explain EVERY LAST THING about themselves using only type theory. Your gender, culture, age, socioeconomic status are all stronger influences on your thoughts and behaviors, but type theory is so engaging that people will reach for it first and lastly when understanding themselves.
    I agree with this, but would go a step further to say that the mistake people make is thinking it explains anything. MBTI is just a classification system; it doesn't explain why you do the things you do. People think "oh, I'm an I therefore I do x, y, and z." It's just the opposite, that you do x, y, and z, so we give you a label called I. People forget that it's a label and think it's something with potential energy, able to put things into motion. People use that concept as a springboard to justify their dysfunctional behavior, such as "I can be a rude jackass in a debate because I'm an INTP." They end up getting "stuck" in their type and forget that there's progress to be made.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

never could it put better

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    People use that concept as a springboard to justify their dysfunctional behavior, such as "I can be a rude jackass in a debate because I'm an INTP." They end up getting "stuck" in their type and forget that there's progress to be made.
    Undoubtedly some people do this. But others use it as a guideline for self improvement and the understanding of others. MBTI is harmful nor beneficial. It depends on what one does with the information.