User Tag List

123 Last

Sniffles

Default The founder of Italian Communism had deathbed conversion

The Vatican has revealed that Antonio Gramsci, the founder of Italian Communism and an icon of the Left, reverted to Roman Catholicism on his deathbed.

Archbishop Luigi De Magistris, former head of the Apostolic Penitentiary of the Holy See, which deals with confessions, indulgences and the forgiveness of sins, said Gramsci had "died taking the Sacraments". He had asked the nuns attending him in hospital to let him kiss an image of the infant Jesus, Monsignor De Magistris said.

He said rumours that Gramsci had reverted had never until now been confirmed, and the Italian Left had also remained silent on the issue. "But that is how it was" he told Vatican Radio. "Gramsci returned to the faith of his infancy"....

...He is regarded as one of the most important Marxist thinkers of the 20th century. His thought is crystallised in The Prison Notebooks, in which, among other things, he argued that Capitalism was based on a combination of force and consensus, and that Marxism could only supercede religion if it met peoples spiritual as well as material needs.
    The founder of Italian Communism had deathbed conversion -Times Online

Well may he rest with Christ.

This was quite common in the 20th century and still is today, when conversions to Catholicism was/is quite common among many influential intellectual and literary figures. This is true even after years of harsh opposition to the faith.

So for all the atheists here, there's still hope for you!

MBTI
    ENTP

To be fair, communism has little to offer on your deathbed and the risk of converting is outweighed by the potential eternal benefits. So, it is just rather logical to hedge your bets.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    To be fair, communism has little to offer on your deathbed and the risk of converting is outweighed by the potential eternal benefits. So, it is just rather logical to hedge your bets.
    Yes. The possibility of eternal life becomes much more appealing when you're about to die. Even an infintesimally small chance of it is greater than none.

What is the OP trying to insinuate? I see a possibility, but I can't imagine anyone would try to draw such an inane conclusion from that article.
    //Ti:52|Ne:46.8|Te:36.6|Ni:32.4|Si:21.5|Fi:21.3|Se:20.5|Fe:9.3\\ 5w4 (L4, SX/SP)
    My Game Development Blog - Now With Once Per Month Updates!
    *Checks updating schedule*
    Wait, I lied. Less than once per month updates.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I think this is a sad way of thinking. Refute it all as false and oppose it.. but then when you realize that your way of thinking doesn't totally provide you with the comfort you need at the end, you take it all back? You're essentially preaching to the world something that not every fiber of your being believes in. Infact, enough of you doesn't believe it to revert back to the very thing you preach against. Essentially, you lie to everyone.

If you're atheist, that's your call. It's just sad to see people SO opposed to something that they can't open their mind long enough to realize they wanted it all along.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

just

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ezion View Post
    What is the OP trying to insinuate? I see a possibility, but I can't imagine anyone would try to draw such an inane conclusion from that article.
    I think he was trying to say that we fall to weakness when we approach death. Not quite sure, though.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Ezion View Post
    I can't for certain what the article itself is trying to say, I can only put it in larger context of how so many people have found their way to the faith. Not all of them were deathbed conversions, in fact most I've read about weren't.

In the early part of the 20th century, converting to Catholicism was actually considered the cool thing to do among certain circles. It's quite amazing the famous names you find in this company; as you can see here.

Some names from the list:

• Tony Blair
    • Buffalo Bill
    • Gary Cooper
    • Faye Dunaway
    • René Girard
    • Graham Greene
    • Sir Alec Guinness
    • Bob Hope
    • Allen Tate
    • J. R. R. Tolkien(converted when little by mother, but a devout Catholic all his life)
    • John Wayne
    • Oscar Wilde

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Wasn't this guy jailed and in solitary confinement for a good part of his later life? He wasn't thinking right!

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post

just
    Yes there's hope for you too, not least of which because I too was a staunch atheist at your age.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yes there's hope for you too, not least of which because I too was a staunch atheist at your age.
    Forgive me Father for I have sinned.... where's my Jesus Skittles?