• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Life Control Percentage

How much control you have over your own life?

• 0 %

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • 10 %

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20 %

• 30 %

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • 40 %

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 50 %

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • 60 %

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 70 %

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • 80 %

• 90 %

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • 100 %

• Total voters

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm thinking much the same way. Would this be an example of me and you giving up control while Darjur haven't?

We truly never know what will happen in the next moment, so from my perspective you can't give up something you never had. Control of one's life is an illusion designed for a sense of security. 'sokay. Different strokes for different folks.

On the other hand you can choose to try to direct your life or you can be lazy. Plan plans, not outcomes.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
We truly never know what will happen in the next moment, so from my perspective you can't give up something you never had. Control of one's life is an illusion designed for a sense of security.

Yeah, I agree.

BTW, you are so far the only one voting less than me. (I expect you went with 20%)

I can choose what emotion to have in response to each specific situation.

Can you elaborate. From my perspective this is about the same as someone saying they can fly like superman. Emotions are very much out of control. The actions are somewhat in our control, but emotions... they can be restrained for a while but eventually they will "outpower" us.

Ezion

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I put 30%, because I'd say it's a more realistic average than 0%. Theoretically, though, you have no control over the actions of others. If we limit "control" to the physical world, I have an extremely small amount of control, limited only to the strength of my body (vs possible billions). However, you could say that you have control over your mental world. While this is somewhat true, your mental world becomes overidden when the physical one is in danger (the mind being dependant on the body), so by controlling your body someone has control over your mind.

So if everyone where to rise up against you, you would have 0% control over your life. There is always a possibility of this happening. Realistically, though, this chance is extremely improbable, hence my 30% rather than 0%, but if we wanted to be very precise, I would say 0%.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Can you elaborate. From my perspective this is about the same as someone saying they can fly like superman. Emotions are very much out of control. The actions are somewhat in our control, but emotions... they can be restrained for a while but eventually they will "outpower" us.

No problems ;)

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP

?

I put 30%, because I'd say it's a more realistic average than 0%. Theoretically, though, you have no control over the actions of others. If we limit "control" to the physical world, I have an extremely small amount of control, limited only to the strength of my body (vs possible billions). However, you could say that you have control over your mental world. While this is somewhat true, your mental world becomes overidden when the physical one is in danger (the mind being dependant on the body), so by controlling your body someone has control over your mind.

That's an interesting attitude. I like it. The thing I would like you to consider is this: The other people are (usually) as lost as you or me. This means that there are very few individuals who are capable and willing to control anything, really. So, that leaves you relatively more control than you would suspect. This is actually the only basis I have for claiming to control any bit of my life. If the "normal" people were really conscious of their possible capability, there would be no room for any more control and I'd be their slave. Fortunately this is not the case and most of the people are controlled by forces created by humans but not in control of humans. No one is in control. This makes me feel kinda optimistic about my control.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Actually I voted less than that, nolla. Time has been a stern teacher in that regard. It's quite a tumble into the reality.

Nonetheless, regarding Ezion's thoughts, I was in mind of the Dutch Christian missionary, Corrie Ten Boom, who was imprisoned by the Nazis. She was a woman of strong mind indeed and later wrote a book about her experience. She had trained her mind so well that she was able to maintain her sanity and she talks about how she did that.

Apparently certain types and those who practice are better able to meet having their bodies controlled by others.

Fiver

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have control over how I think about the things that happen to and around me. That's it. Everything else is outside of my control.

However, that abililty to decide my personal response...that's crucial.

BTW -- Believing I had control over my life was an illusion immediately shattered once I had a child. After which I realized I didn't control shit.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I thought we’d already had this discussion in that thread. No?

I don't remember. I can't read that thread now, I have some other things to do. But, the page you linked here doesn't have you on it...

Actually I voted less than that, nolla. Time has been a stern teacher in that regard. It's quite a tumble into the reality.

Nonetheless, regarding Ezion's thoughts, I was in mind of the Dutch Christian missionary, Corrie Ten Boom, who was imprisoned by the Nazis. She was a woman of strong mind indeed and later wrote a book about her experience. She had trained her mind so well that she was able to maintain her sanity and she talks about how she did that.

Apparently certain types and those who practice are better able to meet having their bodies controlled by others.

I don't really believe that any individuals control me. It is like, the individuals that have influence on my life are not aware of that. Some of them are dead, obviously, since this civilization is based on their thoughts, and the ones alive are effecting many others but just me. But the ones influencing me don't really know who I am or how I think, so they only have a relative control over me. Still, the chaos has a lot more control than they do.

I ordered this book about a guy who developed a therapy after he spent time on concentration camp. Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning. You might be interested.

redacted

I have control over how I think about the things that happen to and around me. That's it. Everything else is outside of my control.

I wish I had control over how I think about things. I mean, it consciously seems like I have control, but consciousness is just a story about what's actually happening. You respond based on two variables: your current state, and the current state of the environment (you could really call that one variable). Your consciousness is part of your response.

Each state of the universe is a function of the previous state. There's no maybe this, maybe that about it. It only seems like that.

Think about it: can any subatomic particle that makes up your body decide not to follow the laws of physics?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't remember. I can't read that thread now, I have some other things to do. But, the page you linked here doesn't have you on it...

Ah, my bad, I have my settings on 40 posts per page so linked in page 3 which is the last one for me, obviously it's not for others.

Ezion

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Certainly, this is true to a degree. Through mental discipline you can lessen the influence others have over your mind through your body. However, they could still kill you, which ends your body and thus your mind. In addition, it would be impossible to seperate mind and body 100%. Physiological changes induced by your body's responses will inevitably influence your thinking a degree, and I won't even speak of physical alterations to your brain.

Nolla said:
...Fortunately this is not the case and most of the people are controlled by forces created by humans but not in control of humans. No one is in control. This makes me feel kinda optimistic about my control.
If we agree that both nothing is absolute, then nobody can be in complete control. I suppose that I overlooked the law of absolutes in my previous post. You always have some degree of control over your life, even if it is infintesimally small.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Ah, my bad, I have my settings on 40 posts per page so linked in page 3 which is the last one for me, obviously it's not for others.

I read a little further. I now see why we cannot agree on this one (unless you turn over to the Dark Side and admit I was right, which is unlikely).

My view is our thoughts determine our feelings which in turn determine our actions

This is radically different from my viewpoint (and, actually very important when considering the "results" of this poll). I think that our feelings are very much in control of our thoughts. You have to admit this: If you hate someone, you can't expect that you give him the fair treat you would give anyone else.

You always have some degree of control over your life, even if it is infintesimally small.

It isn't small compared to other people, if you have seen the fact that you are nothing. If you know this, your control is relatively large compared to other people who haven't thought about it.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I read a little further. I now see why we cannot agree on this one (unless you turn over to the Dark Side and admit I was right, which is unlikely).

Nevah!

This is radically different from my viewpoint (and, actually very important when considering the "results" of this poll). I think that our feelings are very much in control of our thoughts. You have to admit this: If you hate someone, you can't expect that you give him the fair treat you would give anyone else.

Sure, but hating them is the first choice :D

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Lol :D So, you basically admit I was right?

Not quite :) I was only referring to v

You have to admit this: If you hate someone, you can't expect that you give him the fair treat you would give anyone else.

I say hating someone is a choice that we are in control of. Treating them unfairly/differently is a result of our thoughts and feelings.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I'm extremely methodical. If something goes awry, I have a couple backup plans. Nonetheless, I know complete control is only a delusion. So, I say 50%.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I say hating someone is a choice that we are in control of. Treating them unfairly/differently is a result of our thoughts and feelings.

Ah, we come back to the difference between us. From my POV, there are ways to overcome hatred, but hate is never a choice, in the same sense as other choices. I can't choose to hate someone. I can choose to try and overcome the hatred, though.