User Tag List

View Poll Results: How much control you have over your own life?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 %

2 6.25%
  • 10 %

0 0%
  • 20 %

2 6.25%
  • 30 %

8 25.00%
  • 40 %

1 3.13%
  • 50 %

6 18.75%
  • 60 %

1 3.13%
  • 70 %

3 9.38%
  • 80 %

2 6.25%
  • 90 %

5 15.63%
  • 100 %

2 6.25%
First 23456 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    I thought wed already had this discussion in that thread. No?
    I don't remember. I can't read that thread now, I have some other things to do. But, the page you linked here doesn't have you on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Actually I voted less than that, nolla. Time has been a stern teacher in that regard. It's quite a tumble into the reality.

Nonetheless, regarding Ezion's thoughts, I was in mind of the Dutch Christian missionary, Corrie Ten Boom, who was imprisoned by the Nazis. She was a woman of strong mind indeed and later wrote a book about her experience. She had trained her mind so well that she was able to maintain her sanity and she talks about how she did that.

Apparently certain types and those who practice are better able to meet having their bodies controlled by others.
    I don't really believe that any individuals control me. It is like, the individuals that have influence on my life are not aware of that. Some of them are dead, obviously, since this civilization is based on their thoughts, and the ones alive are effecting many others but just me. But the ones influencing me don't really know who I am or how I think, so they only have a relative control over me. Still, the chaos has a lot more control than they do.

I ordered this book about a guy who developed a therapy after he spent time on concentration camp. Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning. You might be interested.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
    I have control over how I think about the things that happen to and around me. That's it. Everything else is outside of my control.
    I wish I had control over how I think about things. I mean, it consciously seems like I have control, but consciousness is just a story about what's actually happening. You respond based on two variables: your current state, and the current state of the environment (you could really call that one variable). Your consciousness is part of your response.

Each state of the universe is a function of the previous state. There's no maybe this, maybe that about it. It only seems like that.

Think about it: can any subatomic particle that makes up your body decide not to follow the laws of physics?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I don't remember. I can't read that thread now, I have some other things to do. But, the page you linked here doesn't have you on it...
    Ah, my bad, I have my settings on 40 posts per page so linked in page 3 which is the last one for me, obviously it's not for others.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Nonetheless, regarding Ezion's thoughts, I was in mind of the Dutch Christian missionary, Corrie Ten Boom, who was imprisoned by the Nazis. She was a woman of strong mind indeed and later wrote a book about her experience. She had trained her mind so well that she was able to maintain her sanity and she talks about how she did that.

Apparently certain types and those who practice are better able to meet having their bodies controlled by others.
    Certainly, this is true to a degree. Through mental discipline you can lessen the influence others have over your mind through your body. However, they could still kill you, which ends your body and thus your mind. In addition, it would be impossible to seperate mind and body 100%. Physiological changes induced by your body's responses will inevitably influence your thinking a degree, and I won't even speak of physical alterations to your brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolla
    ...Fortunately this is not the case and most of the people are controlled by forces created by humans but not in control of humans. No one is in control. This makes me feel kinda optimistic about my control.
    If we agree that both nothing is absolute, then nobody can be in complete control. I suppose that I overlooked the law of absolutes in my previous post. You always have some degree of control over your life, even if it is infintesimally small.
    //Ti:52|Ne:46.8|Te:36.6|Ni:32.4|Si:21.5|Fi:21.3|Se:20.5|Fe:9.3\\ 5w4 (L4, SX/SP)
    My Game Development Blog - Now With Once Per Month Updates!
    *Checks updating schedule*
    Wait, I lied. Less than once per month updates.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Ah, my bad, I have my settings on 40 posts per page so linked in page 3 which is the last one for me, obviously it's not for others.
    I read a little further. I now see why we cannot agree on this one (unless you turn over to the Dark Side and admit I was right, which is unlikely).

My view is our thoughts determine our feelings which in turn determine our actions
    This is radically different from my viewpoint (and, actually very important when considering the "results" of this poll). I think that our feelings are very much in control of our thoughts. You have to admit this: If you hate someone, you can't expect that you give him the fair treat you would give anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezion View Post
    You always have some degree of control over your life, even if it is infintesimally small.
    It isn't small compared to other people, if you have seen the fact that you are nothing. If you know this, your control is relatively large compared to other people who haven't thought about it.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I read a little further. I now see why we cannot agree on this one (unless you turn over to the Dark Side and admit I was right, which is unlikely).
    Nevah!

This is radically different from my viewpoint (and, actually very important when considering the "results" of this poll). I think that our feelings are very much in control of our thoughts. You have to admit this: If you hate someone, you can't expect that you give him the fair treat you would give anyone else.
    Sure, but hating them is the first choice

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Lol So, you basically admit I was right?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Lol So, you basically admit I was right?
    Not quite I was only referring to v

You have to admit this: If you hate someone, you can't expect that you give him the fair treat you would give anyone else.
    I say hating someone is a choice that we are in control of. Treating them unfairly/differently is a result of our thoughts and feelings.

MBTI
    INxJ

I'm extremely methodical. If something goes awry, I have a couple backup plans. Nonetheless, I know complete control is only a delusion. So, I say 50%.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I say hating someone is a choice that we are in control of. Treating them unfairly/differently is a result of our thoughts and feelings.
    Ah, we come back to the difference between us. From my POV, there are ways to overcome hatred, but hate is never a choice, in the same sense as other choices. I can't choose to hate someone. I can choose to try and overcome the hatred, though.