User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 33

  1. #1
    DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    Hype
    Posts
    2,078

    Default 7 deadly sins, 16 lost souls..

    I have recently been working on expanding my understanding of virtue and sin in hopes of one day completing a more rigid analysis... and since type theory (unwillingly) occupies much of my thought process, I've begun looking at type through that scope for practice later on. So, what is the principle Virtue and principle Sin of your type (not necessarily YOU, yourself personally)?

    That is to say, let's pretend we grabbed all the XXXX's in the world and counted their virtues and vices appropriately (very hard to do I might say!), and added them up: Which Sin would weigh the heaviest on the souls of that type? Which Virtue would prop them up the most?

    Below is my account of what we might find, but I'm very interested in feedback. Keep in mind here I'm using an Aristotlean/Dante approach towards this(7 sins, 7 virtues) and that this is actually a secular, philosophical analysis. Virtue is defined as that which allows fostering, growth and increase of power of soul, and Sin is defined here as simply that which destroys and decays the soul. Also, since I am by technicality a heathen for approaching it this way, you may not quote me on Judgement day as a source/citation for where you should go:

    [format goes: type, key principle sin, key principle virtue, ... there is no significance to the order presented here, but I start with the extraverts]

    ENTP, Lust, Prudence -
    While the ENTP has a basic need and incompletion leading to a profound Lust for people (this is an intellectual lust as often as it is sexual), the ENTP is very often found excercising proper judgement and restraint in those interpersonal matters and life in general - they know a "bad idea" or a foolhardy person coming a mile away and will dodge it with the grace of a Heisman runningback.

    ESTP, Vanity(part of Pride), Justice -
    Should be self-explanatory ...... ESTPs are overly concerned with perception, style and image. This type's truly redeaming characteristic is their capacity to understand Justice and fairness among Men in all matters- Gangsters or not, they learn the code of the street (aka human Justice) one way or another. If you wrong this type, they will let you know how righteous souls can be.

    ESFJ, Envy, Love(charity) - If you are ever on your death bed with a terminal illness, no type would offer you more support and love than the ESFJ. Their capacity for love might actually excede that of the INFJ/INFP - however, this type is overly questioning of themselves when anyone, even an atheist, can plainly see them as being a force for Good - This is their source of Envy for what others are and have - if they only had as much faith in themselves as they did in their values and shared their methods openly with others, they would be a lot better understood.

    ENFP, Lust, Love(charity) - This type's connectivety to others simulateously leads to their principle Virtue and Sin (the best description I read about ENFPs is that they have so much F, they can't help but "bust a load" of it on your face - a cute pun which adequately describes this type). Since this soul is so full of the passions, they oftentimes lack proper restraint and governance, leading them into Lust - oftentimes without them even knowing it.

    ENFJ, Pride, Hope - Since the type always sees the good in others (because they adopt the emotions of other's so well and accurately), Hope is their principle virtue. However, they tend to operate on this mechanism alone and do not bounce their actions against the backbone of emotional and rational reflection. Many astute observers may wonder if the ENFJ has a borderline disorder because they can oscillate so quickly between love and hatred. Pride is the ENFJs sin for not being able to accept the imperfections of all human beings.

    ESFP, Lust Hope - ESFPs are drawn to all things sexual and to that great, heaving social organism known as the Leviathin - they simply can't keep away! This is because they see so many "people possibilities" and opportunities to entertain others; this makes Hope their chief virtue, as they always try to turn things into the best party possible. Any region needing to grow or expand their culture and social cohesiveness would behoove to attract many ESFPs to their locale.

    ENTJ, Gluttony, Fortitude - This type has an utterly INSATIABLE drive for success and performance (aka, the "need for achievement"), but they will always be thirsy because the Glutton is incapable of being satisfied. However, over time the ENTJ acquires a certain kind of mental fortitude that no other type can hold a candle to. Make no mistake about it, you WANT this type running your University or Business, but only if you can ensure they aren't psychopaths (which might be hard to do)

    ESTJ, Greed, Chastity/Temperance - Sometimes incorrectly referred to as the "community leader", the ESTJ has an irrevocable instinct to horde and hence squander the resources and support intended for many. However, during this pursuit the ESTJ excercises a Chastity (sexual as well as with food or addiction) not seen in any other type and are rarely found in the gutter.

    ISFJ, Sloth, Faith - This again should be explanatory - mcuh alike the ESFJ, the ISFJ will have a faith for their methods that is pure. However, what this type rarely understands is that Doubt is as much a part of faith as belief. True faith is that which stands after being hit with a truckton of Philosophical or Spiritual Doubt the likes of which Descartes and Mother Theresa had. Challenging God (or any noble institution) is just as necessary as believing, so Sloth is their sin for not considering the intellectual necessity of doubt in their methods.

    ISFP Sloth, Charity/love - Probably the kindest of the types, ISFPs want everybody and everything to work in perfect harmony with conflict minimized, hence their Virtue is Love. However, this tendancy to "fold" and bend over to harmony actually oftentimes leads unfavorable results in human interactions, which they know goes on but do nothing about. Since they fail to act or alter course when staring evil in the face, Sloth is their sin.

    ISTJ Pride, Temperence - This type is so given to order and structure out of a drive to need balance and calm... but oftentimes take this love for order and form too far. Fighting for your country, family or most cherished institution is pointless if the negativity and Sin coming back to said institution is more damaging than your contribution is beneficial. Therefor, Pride is the ISTJs primary sin for not knowing when to give.

    ISTP Envy, Courage/Fortitude - Much like the ESTP, the ISTP will often be too covetous of the affections of others, and will often be cynical towards Doctors/Professors/government on this capacity alone, making Envy their sin. However, they will be the first to tell you how "such n such's" shit stinks, making Courage their virtue for being able to stare down any bull and not flinch.

    INFP Sloth, Love/Charity - I actually almost made Justice the principle of virtue for the INFP but I hold this to be an incorrect attribution : the INFP's love for living things is so strong it just naturally seems like they are concerned with what is "most fair", but they do not demonstrate proper balancing: many will be found saving whales and dolphins while children in the world starve, therefor their principle virtue is Love. The INFP's sin is sloth because they assault themselves more than any other type, leaving them often in the depths of despair and self-pity.

    INTP Sloth, Fortitude - To say the INTP has intellectual integrity is an understatement. Ask one to consider a square circle and they will feel obligated to spend a couple moments considering such a nusance, therefor their resilience to all considerations makes the mental fortitude of the INTP the highest form possible. However, not only will an INTP spend an entire lifetime learning everything and doing nothing, many know of their own ability for key intellectual matters and do nothing. Sloth is their sin for not acting when they have sufficient reason to do so.

    INTJ Greed, REstraint/Temperance - While the INTJ will question and prod as much as the ISTP/INTP will, Temperance is their virtue for constatnly criticizing and analying what methods and intellectual approaches work best, and are quick to dump useless intellectual baggage. However, the INTJs drives are often very selfish and dark, for they secretly want to horde much power and control, making Greed their Chief sin as is adequately described in "Mad scientist" literature and in the "Raistlin Majeres" of the world.

    INFJ Wrath, Charity/love - No type can have as much ACTIVE passion for things as the INFJ does - while many types love, the INFJ knows precisely what a person or animal needs before they know what they themselves need, making Love their virtue. However, the Wrath of this type is quite frightening at times. One who betrays or turns their back on the INFJ for even a second will find themselves staring at a vessel of God.... in fact, if that INFJ happens to be a woman you offended, you might as well just not even turn back to face them: Just keep walking in the opposite direction.
    Last edited by nozflubber; 12-22-2008 at 07:30 AM. Reason: edit 1!

  2. #2
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    I have recently been working on expanding my understanding of virtue and sin in hopes of one day completing a more rigid analysis... and since type theory (unwillingly) occupies much of my thought process, I've begun looking at type through that scope for practice later on. So, what is the principle Virtue and principle Sin of your type (not necessarily YOU, yourself personally)?
    Oh! How fun is this!

    INFP Sloth, Love/Charity - I actually almost made Justice the principle of virtue for the INFP but I hold this to be an incorrect attribution : the INFP's love for living things is so strong it just naturally seems like they are concerned with what is "most fair", but they do not demonstrate proper balancing: many will be found saving whales and dolphins while children in the world starve, therefor their principle virtue is Love. The INFP's sin is sloth because they assault themselves more than any other type, leaving them often in the depths of despair and self-pity.
    I have a new appreciation for INFPs. I consider them to be the most individualistic of all the types, and yet uncannily selfless. As far as "proper balancing" I've engaged in that argument countless times myself, but they just simply have boundless integrity for their values. Some simply perceive the best way to help humanity is to help the planet. I think just because some subscribe to the "spaceship earth" philosophy as opposed to the "global village" philosophy, it doesn't mean they lack balance. It is just that their Fi has somehow chosen that to be their purpose.

    INTP Sloth, Fortitude - To say the INTP has intellectual integrity is an understatement. Ask one to consider a square circle and they will feel obligated to spend a couple moments considering such a nusance, therefor their resilience to all considerations makes the mental fortitude of the INTP the highest form possible. However, since this process takes mcuh of their time (most would require multiple lifetimes), Sloth is their sin for not acting when they have sufficient reason to do so.
    What a nice description. I can't think of anything I would add.

    INTJ Greed, REstraint/Temperance - While the INTJ will question and prod as much as the ISTP/INTP will, Temperance is their virtue for constatnly criticizing and analying what methods and intellectual approaches work best, and are quick to dump useless intellectual baggage. However, the INTJs drives are often very selfish and dark, for they secretly want to horde much power and control, making Greed their Chief sin as is adequately described in "Mad scientist" literature and in the "Raistlin Majeres" of the world.
    I think they prefer "enlightened self interest" over greed.

    INFJ Wrath
    Ha! I love it.

    Charity/love - No type can have as much ACTIVE passion for things as the INFJ does - while many types love, the INFJ knows precisely what a person or animal needs before they know what they themselves need, making Love their virtue. However, the Wrath of this type is quite frightening at times. One who betrays or turns their back on the INFJ for even a second will find themselves staring at a vessel of God.... in fact, if that INFJ happens to be a woman you offended, you might as well just not even turn back to face them: Just keep walking in the opposite direction.
    I enjoyed this description. Of course, walking away from an INFJ or even just ignoring them can be one of the surest ways to make them hate you forever. I personally would have chosen "Justice" for my type because of how profound the emotional reaction is whenever we come across something we perceive as an injustice in the world. But that is just me and I know many INFJs who are definitely more the "Charity/love" type.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

  3. #3
    Wild Card Atomic Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    7,164

    Default

    Impossible, you said you weren't coming back.

  4. #4
    The Black Knight Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni
    Posts
    11,443

    Default

    I disagree with the ENFJ description. We're not lazy thinkers even at our worst.

    My weak point is power, not laziness. I go from caring about people too much to wanting to crush, make war or manipulate them. Not endearing. I liken it more to avarice which falls under the heading of classical gluttony?
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

  5. #5
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    I like this! Esp. - the INTP description - very accurate. I don't agree with the ESFJ one. I'm going to look at this more closely later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  6. #6
    Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    INTJ Greed, REstraint/Temperance - While the INTJ will question and prod as much as the ISTP/INTP will, Temperance is their virtue for constatnly criticizing and analying what methods and intellectual approaches work best, and are quick to dump useless intellectual baggage. However, the INTJs drives are often very selfish and dark, for they secretly want to horde much power and control, making Greed their Chief sin as is adequately described in "Mad scientist" literature and in the "Raistlin Majeres" of the world.
    Greed? Nooooo! Envy would have been much better. Greed...pfff, who needs Greed.
    Tho...maybe we are. Sure, why not.

    Awesome work, Nose-Slime err, Flubber! =P
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

    Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

    ESTP? o.O

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post

    ISFP Sloth, Charity/love - Probably the kindest of the types, ISFPs want everybody and everything to work in perfect harmony with conflict minimized, hence their Virtue is Love. However, this tendancy to "fold" and bend over to harmony actually oftentimes leads unfavorable results in human interactions, which they know goes on but do nothing about. Since they fail to act or alter course when staring evil in the face, Sloth is their sin.
    This sounds like enneagram 9. Which I am. I'm 9w8 ISFP.

    What you put here is true for me personally. At least generally sometimes I steamroll over conflict to maintain harmony. At least my inner harmony.

  8. #8
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Wow. That is impressive.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    I keep reading about my type and I keep asking myself "am I really an ENFP or are these guys bullshitting me?"

    This idea that the ENFP is all love, love, love doesn't sit well with me at all. AT all.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I keep reading about my type and I keep asking myself "am I really an ENFP or are these guys bullshitting me?"

    This idea that the ENFP is all love, love, love doesn't sit well with me at all. AT all.
    Love can be expressed in many ways.?

Similar Threads

  1. Seven Deadly Sin Quiz
    By Kiddo in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 02:53 PM
  2. The Seven Deadly Sins [.as depicted by Dave Quiggle.]
    By swordpath in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-14-2009, 01:10 PM
  3. The New Seven Deadly Sins- Courtesy of the Pope - do you agree and what is your list?
    By Geoff in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-16-2008, 03:47 PM
  4. Seven NEW Deadly Sins?!?
    By miss fortune in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-03-2008, 07:14 PM
  5. I am a lost soul
    By Tigerlily in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-31-2008, 09:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO