• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Debate on the existence of god

Samurai Drifter

MBTI Type
INTP
I think believing in God leads to ridiculous consequences, so I don't. The "there's no evidence against" argument does nothing for me, because we could apply that to lots of things that no one in their right mind would believe in.
Which is precisely the reason no one in their right mind believes in them.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I don't bother debating because I KNOW there is no such thing as God. But I don't mind having exchanges with open minded rational people, regardless of their beliefs.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hahahah. We're very good at bullshitting complete nonsense too, see?

I don't think there's anyone who would deny the members of your type as an aggregate that particular distinction.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is certainly a fair argument. The reason I believe in God is because that does improve my life. If it doesn't improve your life, then I can definitely understand why you wouldn't have much use for any type of faith or religion.

If belief in dragons improves my life, I should believe that dragons exist right?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There is no problem. I'm just pointing out they are mutually exclusive.

I don't think they're mutually exclusive at all. One doesn't have to consider oneself absolutely certain of God's nonexistence to simply disbelieve in him. I disbelieve the idea that, say, social conservative policy is the best way to govern a democratic state, for instance...but I'm not absolutely certain. How could I be?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think there's anyone who would deny the members of your type as an aggregate that particular distinction.

oh boy do I love NTs and their verbosity! srsly.

In all honesty I'm not making fun of you. Had to edit this post, though, because I realize that an ENTP saying something like that is probably more likely than not to be interpreted as sarcastic. =/

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
In french God means Dildo.
There, settles the question.

Don't thank me... but I do take checks.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Why have them?

I don't get it... seems like a waste of time.

It's unanswerable. Neither side wins, yet people are still interested?

An issue of defending their believes (or there lack of)? Or something else?

I agree. Religious debate is absolutely pointless.

Debates depend on logic and reason to get your point across, but religion is pretty much defined by the absence of logic. Either you believe in the logic or you believe in a faith, you can't have both.

For example, I could argue to someone that there is scientific proof of the big bang theory. Someone could just say "oh, well, God caused the big bang". It's a pointless argument.