User Tag List

First 5131415

Results 141 to 150 of 150

  1. #141
    Senior Member Samurai Drifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I think believing in God leads to ridiculous consequences, so I don't. The "there's no evidence against" argument does nothing for me, because we could apply that to lots of things that no one in their right mind would believe in.
    Which is precisely the reason no one in their right mind believes in them.
    Hands in the air, it's a robbery.

  2. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    977

    Default

    I don't bother debating because I KNOW there is no such thing as God. But I don't mind having exchanges with open minded rational people, regardless of their beliefs.

  3. #143
    THREADKILLER Prototype's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX
    Posts
    855

    Default

    Can we stop using the term "god"?...
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

  4. #144
    The elder Holmes Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Hahahah. We're very good at bullshitting complete nonsense too, see?
    I don't think there's anyone who would deny the members of your type as an aggregate that particular distinction.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

  5. #145
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Somehow, I can only agree with Mycroft. "What is claimed without proof, can be negated without proof"
    +1 /thread

  6. #146
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    This is certainly a fair argument. The reason I believe in God is because that does improve my life. If it doesn't improve your life, then I can definitely understand why you wouldn't have much use for any type of faith or religion.
    If belief in dragons improves my life, I should believe that dragons exist right?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  7. #147
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    There is no problem. I'm just pointing out they are mutually exclusive.
    I don't think they're mutually exclusive at all. One doesn't have to consider oneself absolutely certain of God's nonexistence to simply disbelieve in him. I disbelieve the idea that, say, social conservative policy is the best way to govern a democratic state, for instance...but I'm not absolutely certain. How could I be?

  8. #148
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I don't think there's anyone who would deny the members of your type as an aggregate that particular distinction.
    oh boy do I love NTs and their verbosity! srsly.

    In all honesty I'm not making fun of you. Had to edit this post, though, because I realize that an ENTP saying something like that is probably more likely than not to be interpreted as sarcastic. =/

  9. #149
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    In french God means Dildo.
    There, settles the question.

    Don't thank me... but I do take checks.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  10. #150
    Systematic chaos Cenomite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Why have them?

    I don't get it... seems like a waste of time.

    It's unanswerable. Neither side wins, yet people are still interested?

    An issue of defending their believes (or there lack of)? Or something else?
    I agree. Religious debate is absolutely pointless.

    Debates depend on logic and reason to get your point across, but religion is pretty much defined by the absence of logic. Either you believe in the logic or you believe in a faith, you can't have both.

    For example, I could argue to someone that there is scientific proof of the big bang theory. Someone could just say "oh, well, God caused the big bang". It's a pointless argument.

Similar Threads

  1. Does The Thought of God Not Existing Terrify You?
    By serenesam in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 04-01-2014, 02:46 PM
  2. The irrefutable existence of God
    By Zangetshumody in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 07:52 PM
  3. Hologram theory and the existence of fate and/or God
    By Valiant in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-21-2012, 08:05 AM
  4. The central question of religion is not the existence of God?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 04:16 PM
  5. Replies: 96
    Last Post: 12-25-2008, 08:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO