User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default How bad is it to steal a bible? &questions for the previously/currently/non religious

As opposed to any other book?

For the Atheists,

Why are you an atheist? Were you born atheist? raised atheist?

If raised atheist, do you think religion has any value to you? Would you venture to 'try' religion?

Or were you born into a certain religion and then became atheist by your own choice? If so, I'm interested in what exactly led you to become atheist as well as at what point you sort of officially 'denounced' your previous religion and declared your non-belief. How greatly did you question your religion or did you just always think it was kind of stupid? Is there any chance you may go back to religion? Also, how do you choose between atheism and agnosticism?

For the Religious,

Do you currently practice the same religion you were born into? Or did you choose it yourself? To what degree would you say religion plays an important role in how you live your life and make your decisions?

Have you ever considered being an atheist? Or maybe, have you ever questioned the concepts of your religion or aspects of it and how strongly? If you did, what were your conclusions? Could you ever imagine your life without religion? Could you imagine yourself changing your current religion to a different one?

To both,

How strong is your commitment to Atheism/Religion? Would you ever try or have you ever tried to convince another of agreeing to your point of view?

For others,

What's up with you?

P.S. I'm not interested in who's right or who's wrong, this is not a god/no god debate, I'm just interested to what extent people actually question things and find out what's best for themselves personally.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by placebo View Post
    It's just useless, unless you want to light a very small fire.

For the Atheists,

Or were you born into a certain religion and then became atheist by your own choice? If so, I'm interested in what exactly led you to become atheist as well as at what point you sort of officially 'denounced' your previous religion and declared your non-belief. How greatly did you question your religion or did you just always think it was kind of stupid? Also, how do you choose between atheism and agnosticism?
    we are all born atheist, right ?
    Well, I live in a very religiously tensed region, practically everybody I know (except my friends and most of my close family) are believers that cannot understand that other people might not believe in god.
    I was put in Catholic school, so I started believing, I liked the idea of having eternal life and all, but I couldn't stop questioning that faith until I decided to cut the crap and face the truth.

To both,

How strong is your commitment to Atheism/Religion? Would you ever try or have you ever tried to convince another of agreeing to your point of view?
    There is no such thing as commitment to atheism, and I don't try to 'convert' anyone. But if I'm asked, I give my opinion and I have been pretty convincing to many in my surrounding.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    I couldn't stop questioning that faith until I decided to cut the crap and face the truth.
    So you converted?

Mazal tov!

MBTI
    INxJ

Atheist/Agnostic

I was Baptist for 9 years. When I could decide for myself whether or not I would continue to attend church, I realized it didn't make sense to me. So, I quit.

I will explain my views when asked. Nothing more. I'm neither fervent or a converter.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    So you converted?

Mazal tov!

Ah damn, I meant to use this:

Same thing anyway...

MBTI
    INTP

I was raised as a Christian.

I really wanted to believe it. I wanted to believe it a lot. However, around the age of 15, I started having serious doubts. I tried to ignore them at first because of family pressure, wanting to believe in an afterlife, etc... but ultimately I had to go with what I reasoned to be true and not what I wanted to be true.

My doubts stemmed at first from the observation that praying didn't change the outcome of a situation. Whenever I commented to anyone about this the response I got was "sometimes god answers prayers in the way we want. Sometimes he doesn't. It's all for the greater good."

Really, what they were saying was "sometimes things transpire in the way we hope, sometimes they don't." And that's true whether or not prayer is involved. Hence, via something I now recognize as the principle of parsimony, prayer could be removed from the equation without the results being changed, so there was no reason to believe in it.

The same was true of a soul. It was claimed that the soul was what "makes you you" (personality). And yet, I noticed peoples' personalities changing when they were administered drugs, etc. I came to the conclusion that what "made me me" was, in fact, chemical in nature and not metaphysical.

Moving on, I came to the actual question of a creator. I reasoned that the existence of such a creator could not be proven or disproved. However, there was no evidence. Belief in god was superfluous. The choice was between:

God created the Universe -> God just exists
    and
    The Universe just exists.

The first choice had no supporting evidence and just spawned more questions than answers. So what reason did I have to believe in God? None at all.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

For the Religious,

Do you currently practice the same religion you were born into? Or did you choose it yourself? To what degree would you say religion plays an important role in how you live your life and make your decisions?

I was born into Lutheran Christian, Catholic Christian, and Baptist Christian. Lots of little differences but all the same message. I found my religion and my truth. My truth also continues to change as I continue to find. It plays an important role in my thoughts.. It works, but my human nature always calls for it when I don't truly need it. A flaw I continuously work on.

Have you ever considered being an atheist? Or maybe, have you ever questioned the concepts of your religion or aspects of it and how strongly? If you did, what were your conclusions? Could you ever imagine your life without religion? Could you imagine yourself changing your current religion to a different one?

I've heard their points. I don't disagree. My religious "truth" has a logical, reasonable explanation for this. They aren't invalid in my thinkings. I constantly question, as questions get me answers. I like answers. I don't know if I could ever be not religious.. I need something higher than me. I'm an idiot without guidance. I don't know about changing. I can't speak for the future though.

Good questions.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

How bad is it to steal a bible?

No different.

For others,

What's up with you?
    Not much

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

As For others,

What's up with you?
    Spinoza said roughly 70% of what I have to say about God. The rest is still in development, and is considered classified.

If you want something Holy to knaw on in the meantime, I can offer you DEEZ

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

For the Atheists,

Born/raised Lutheran Christian, although my parents weren't strict about it. Something just didn't fit right though. I "believed" in God as a kid but it was more or less following my parents' footsteps, the concept of God didn't really do anything compellingly positive to me beyond provide a vague explanation for who to look to when people died, and even then... something didn't "feel right" about that. I'd say I developed my atheist thoughts entirely on my own.

If raised atheist, do you think religion has any value to you? Would you venture to 'try' religion?

Or were you born into a certain religion and then became atheist by your own choice? If so, I'm interested in what exactly led you to become atheist as well as at what point you sort of officially 'denounced' your previous religion and declared your non-belief. How greatly did you question your religion or did you just always think it was kind of stupid? Is there any chance you may go back to religion? Also, how do you choose between atheism and agnosticism?

I guess I already explained what happened above, but I kept having these feelings of God "not feeling right" to me. I think what really threw me off was a few folks I knew who were very fundamentalist christian who took it to an extreme; the neighbor next door who, when I mentioned evolution one time, took me to task considering why I believed in evolution, how creationism was the rule of the house, blahblahblah etc. and so forth. I guess the question was a valid one, but I was not about to denounce everything they taught us in school, especially since it made so much sense to me (and still does to the point that I equate it with "truth"). At that point it dawned on me that Christianity was more like a cult than anything, and it further reinforced my "not feeling right" thoughts about God. Then there was this guy my roommate's ex-g/f brought here one time to try and convince my roommate of Christianity (his ex came from an extremely hardcore strict fundamentalist family), and he took the argument to both of us that we should believe because "if the kingdom of God is true, we wouldn't want to miss out, and there's no downside to believing." Sorry, I might be dumb, but I am NOT stupid. There is one downside: living my life under a lie.

Nowadays, I understand where the concept of God comes in handy for people--as an explanation for that which we cannot explain but find it useful to fall back upon as a matter of faith. The default position to fall back upon a "God," however, does not naturally come to my mind. To me, it feels like an unnecessarily contrived concept. I am content believing that there is a reason for everything, but I might never know what the "reason" will be. I can accept others' having this belief in God under the pretense that it has utility to them, though.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so