User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 79

  1. #11
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    It seems like a couple of neat ideas. Of course there is no telling if these ideas will have any staying power (probably not), but one never knows until they try.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  2. #12
    Senior Member Journey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6
    Socionics
    INFj
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Even if every word in these books adhere to my personal favorite version of the Bible, they are offensive to me as a Christian. They are crass commercialism of something that is Holy. They push social agendas of the producers and promote dissension. One is wrapped in a cover I wouldn't wrap my garbage. The other has a misleading cover about the real content. They are offensive.
    "My Journey is my Destination."

    "Today Counts Forever." R.C. Sproul

  3. #13
    DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    Hype
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    Yeah, as if a bible has to be "themed" in order for there to be some type of better purpose! With green lettering and 21st century goals, it can be a useful book again folks! lol

    gotta love infjs!

  4. #14
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Even if every word in these books adhere to my personal favorite version of the Bible, they are offensive to me as a Christian. They are crass commercialism of something that is Holy. They push social agendas of the producers and promote dissension. One is wrapped in a cover I wouldn't wrap my garbage. The other has a misleading cover about the real content. They are offensive.
    This is pretty much my view as to why I'm disgusted with this.

    My only hope is that most of these attempts turn out to be flops in the end. The paradox always is that the more "relevant" you try to make Holy Scriptures, the more irrelevant it actually becomes.

  5. #15
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Even if every word in these books adhere to my personal favorite version of the Bible, they are offensive to me as a Christian. They are crass commercialism of something that is Holy. They push social agendas of the producers and promote dissension. One is wrapped in a cover I wouldn't wrap my garbage. The other has a misleading cover about the real content. They are offensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    This is pretty much my view as to why I'm disgusted with this.
    So how do you two feel about someone re-writing the bible to make and sell a children's version?

  6. #16
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    I find the issue entirely uncontroversial.

    Religion and politics are intermingled entities. Welcome to human culture.

    Trying to broaden one's audience by pursuing unfertilized avenues should be an exciting opportunity for conversion, not an excuse to draw petty lines of personal division.

  7. #17
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    So how do you two feel about someone re-writing the bible to make and sell a children's version?
    That depends. Give me an example. I still have the Childrens' Bible I had as a kid.

  8. #18
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    That depends. Give me an example. I still have the Childrens' Bible I had as a kid.
    Well you know, your average kid's bible with all the pictures and the really short and simplified text.

  9. #19
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Well you know, your average kid's bible with all the pictures and the really short and simplified text.
    Would you care to provide some examples of such as I originally asked?

    In theory at least, this is appropriate for first-graders, but not young adults. There's a point in life when one must proceed from the kiddy Bible to the real deal. It's called growing up.

    Although sadly this concept is being neglected terribly, so now you have overgrown children walking around untill their mid-40s.

  10. #20
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    As long as they don't undermine the real Bible's content I don't really see what the big deal is.



Similar Threads

  1. Paris Hilton's New Best Friend
    By Mole in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 06:58 AM
  2. Old friends, New friends, Lifestyles
    By FDG in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2007, 08:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO