User Tag List

123 Last

Default The Murder of God

As Charles Darwin published, "The Origin of Species", he wrote it was like confessing to a murder.

And it was.

He left God with nothing else to do. Charles had done it all for Him.

Charley had done Him in.

Charles was brought to trial in the US but unfortunately was aquitted. And we can't try him again because it would be double jeopardy.

So he got clean away with the murder of the century - the perfect crime.

But it was hardly a victimless crime - Charles murdered the Father and left His children all alone.

It was an exquisite act of patricide. Prefigured by Oedipus who murdered his own father - but Oedipus didn't know it was his father while Charley boy premeditated the murder of Our Father. Yes Charles waited 21, yes count them, 21 years before publishing.

What was he thinking all those 21 years with the manuscript in his draw?

Was he excited? Did he feel guilty? Or perhaps he just felt afraid? But what if he were wrong - would God strike him dead?

But God did not strike him with lightning and God went to His own death without a murmur, leaving us all alone with just each other for company.

I look around me and all I see are patricides and fratricides.
    Last edited by Mole; 12-04-2008 at 09:42 PM.

MBTI
    INTP

It would seem God is alive and well in the hearts of millions who happily deny evidence.

Not that evolution precludes a creator, but if the Bible was to be taken literally either the Christian god is a liar, or he doesn't exist.

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Charles Darwin had contemporaries carrying the same idea, e.g. Alfred Russel Wallace.

It was just the time for the idea.
    INtj | 9w1

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Darwin didn't come out with his theory for a good long time mostly because he was very sensitive to his family and culture. He knew what impact his work would have on the world.

Contrary to some popular opinion, he never planned to kill God, nor really wanted to. He wasn't a showman like Galileo, who seemed to take pleasure in publicly needling the Church.

But truth is truth, and Darwin saw patterns, and he couldn't ignore them.

He finally came out with his theory when he realized someone else was going to publish something similar, so they produced it jointly. That's the only thing that made him realize he needed to reveal the cards he was holding.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

I just don't understand creationists. Why does faith require them to believe in the literal text of the bible? I have never thought of religion and science as mutually exclusive. Someone once told me a great analogy of if we took the greatest "scientist" of the 18th century (through time travel of course!) and made them watch Nova for a day and then sent them back to their time; how would they describe what they learned? They would have to put everything in the context of their own understanding at the time.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

If you think the theory of evolution kills God you're a fool. All it does is kill the Genesis explanation for the creation of species and the universe around us.

What's "killing God" is the inability of clergy in all religions to recognize the intellectual growth of humans as a species and treat its members as if they were children who didn't know any better. Most deity centered religions insult the practitioner's intelligence by adhering to antiquated dogma instead of evolving and strengthening its important themes in the first place. For example, what's important in the Bible are the themes and lessons in the stories, not the details of the stories themselves.

I find Science and Religion to be separate sides of the same coin. They both search for Truth. They both press on and enthrall us because we can see if we press a little harder, if we search a little deeper, we will find more about ourselves and our place in the world.
    Last edited by JocktheMotie; 12-04-2008 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Grammar

MBTI
    INFP

you cant kill an idea...
    "It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not." ~Andre Gide

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Darwin kilt the Lord with paper cuts.
    I like it.

The state and everyone who's protected by the state are the only ones who are pissed about patricide.

The dirt in the earth doesn't care, Victor.
    The nebula in our galaxy doesn't care, Victor.
    The universe doesn't care, Victor.
    Know that.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    He finally came out with his theory when he realized someone else was going to publish something similar, so they produced it jointly. That's the only thing that made him realize he needed to reveal the cards he was holding.
    Fear of losing the hand?
    I had no idea Darwin was such a capitalist.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

As a matter of fact, Victor, as I find myself looking over these statistics of those who do care, I can't help noticing that the only things that do, are those which don't exist anyway.
    Consciousness, being an illusion himself, is angry at the imaginary death of his illusory brother, a murder which he, in his other self committed.

You said it first. It was fratricide.
    we fukin won boys