User Tag List

MBTI
    INFJ

Default King James Bible

My mother would like a Large Print King James Bible. I've been to B&N and found several. The catch is, she says she's seen some KJ Bibles that use modern language instead of the original words. How can that be?

Are there any students of religion who can recommend a King James Bible with the words of Jesus in red that has large, easy to read print? Please be as specific as you can and also let me know what questions I should ask a clerk if you don't have it in hand.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    My mother would like a Large Print King James Bible. I've been to B&N and found several. The catch is, she says she's seen some KJ Bibles that use modern language instead of the original words. How can that be?

Are there any students of religion who can recommend a King James Bible with the words of Jesus in red that has large, easy to read print? Please be as specific as you can and also let me know what questions I should ask a clerk if you don't have it in hand.
    Look for a Lifeway store. When you find one, go in and give the manager your specific request... tell him you want the "Authorized Version" of the King James bible, the one with the original 17th-century English... and you'll get what you want.

MBTI
    INFJ

Thanks, Oberon. What's a Lifeway store? I have a B&N coupon so I'd prefer to buy it there, but I'll ask the clerk what you suggested.

Oberon

Lifeway is a chain of Baptist bookstores.

They're more or less a national chain, although they only have two locations in California.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Lifeway is a chain of Baptist bookstores.

They're more or less a national chain, although they only have two locations in California.
    Thanks again, Oberon. There's one not far from me - closer than the ones in Florida are to my mom.

I also have the Graduate Theological Union bookstore just up the hill if all else fails.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes, just to be clear: There's a "King James Bible" (the old language) and there's also been a release of the "New King James Bible," which is the KJV in more modern language but using the old KJV as a template. That latter one came out within the last ten years sometime.

You want the old "authorized" version.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, just to be clear: There's a "King James Bible" (the old language) and there's also been a release of the "New King James Bible," which is the KJV in more modern language but using the old KJV as a template. That latter one came out within the last ten years sometime.

You want the old "authorized" version.
    Thanks, Jennifer. I wondered how both could be King James.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Actually, the NKJV is about 30 years old. There is also a "Modern King James Version" and a "KJ21". There are some public domain ones online such as "Updated KJV", "American KJV", and "KJV Clarified". (I collect this stuff, as I never liked many of the changes of the the modern versions, but did like modern language). They are considered King James because they use the same manuscripts and keep some of the same form. KJV purists still reject them, though. But even the so-called 1611 version is really from 1769, as the original used Olde English; not just the "thou"s and "thee"s, but many other words spelled completely different to the point it would be hard for us to read.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INFJ

Thank you Eric. My mom is looking for one with the language she remembers from 60-80 years ago when she went to church regularly.

I went to B&N and the clerk was pretty useless, but we finally determined that all of their in-stock versions are Modern King James.

I guess I'm off to the GTU.