• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Structure of a Metaphor

Mole

Permabanned
I know a metaphor has the structure of -

As A is to B, so C is to D.

And so a metaphor is a comparison of relationships.

And as a metaphor is not material but merely a comparison, it does not really exist.

And it is only neophytes that take metaphors too far.

It is a mistake to take a metaphor too far because it becomes exhausted and will collapse.

And so there is a constant demand for fresh metaphors.

Metaphors are the bread of language - they are delicious and delightful when fresh but indigestible when stale.

And knowing so much about metaphors, I can never think of one when I need it.

I don't need one now so I have thought of one, and here it is -

"Just as England lost Calais to France, Australia lost Les Darcy and Phar Lap to the Yankees."

See, its structure is - As A is to B, so C is to D.

Often though, the structure is shortened as in, "You are a rose".

Or the metaphor above might be shortened to "England's Calais is Australia's Phar Lap".

Or simply shortened to, "Calais is Phar Lap".

Such is a metaphor.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
You're describing one form of metaphor, the cliche. Much better to come up if your own on the fly. Then it's always fresh. :)

Mole

Permabanned
You're describing one form of metaphor, the cliche. Much better to come up if your own on the fly. Then it's always fresh. :)

I cliche, I am told, is simply words that have been in too many mouths.

You might say a cliche is promiscuous.

Some like a promiscuous girl and some like cliches.

And some like the freshly minted.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
And it is only neophytes that take metaphors too far.

It is a mistake to take a metaphor too far because it becomes exhausted and will collapse.

. . .

Metaphors are the bread of language - they are delicious and delightful when fresh but indigestible when stale.
You got that right. They are also indigestible when half-baked a.k.a. not properly thought out. Imagine when they are not only half-baked, but also stale. Distasteful.

Mole

Permabanned
You got that right. They are also indigestible when half-baked a.k.a. not properly thought out. Imagine when they are not only half-baked, but also stale. Distasteful.

Completely distasteful.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Now imagine that most people are eating it and some are attempting to shove it down your throat. What do you do?

Mole

Permabanned
Now imagine that most people are eating it and some are attempting to shove it down your throat. What do you do?

I cleanse my palate with a brand new poem.

But I do confess, I am wondering what you do.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I cliche, I am told, is simply words that have been in too many mouths.

You might say a cliche is promiscuous.

Some like a promiscuous girl and some like cliches.

And some like the freshly minted.

I don't know about this Victor... sure, some say they like promiscuous girls... but only when they want a "quickie". Will you keep a promiscuous girl? Same goes with the promiscuous metaphor...

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I cleanse my palate with a brand new poem.

But I do confess, I am wondering what you do.
:)
I refuse and let the blows rain down. I am pretty committed to my intestinal health. I have no quarrel with my gut. Why should I poison it with rubbish?
I don't know about this Victor... sure, some say they like promiscuous girls... but only when they want a "quickie". Will you keep a promiscuous girl? Same goes with the promiscuous metaphor...
I'm guessing he prefers the freshly minted.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Creativity cannot be found by looking. Iron Sulfide.

What we broadly term inspiration is merely a faculty of the subconscious.

Listen hard to what only you can hear...

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp

Listen hard to what only you can hear...
:) Precisely.

Mole

Permabanned
:)
I'm guessing he prefers the freshly minted.

I do like promiscuous girls because I am shy fellow myself. And I can see below all the promiscuity to the shy girl underneath.

This comes as a surprise to them and a surprise to me. As I would expect to be terrified of promiscuous girls and they are only used to hard men.

And so we look at each other shyly, not quite believing what is in front of us. We of course instinctively withdraw, but then shyly and slyly look back at exactly the same moment. And so we see each other looking.

And only after a very long time do we actually hold hands, but it is wonderful and we never want to let go.

And what is old is new again.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I do like promiscuous girls because I am shy fellow myself. And I can see below all the promiscuity to the shy girl underneath.

Nice. And a welcome change to the common interplay of the faux-fresh girls with fellows who eat up the half-baked, stale stuff.

This comes as a surprise to them and a surprise to me. As I would expect to be terrified of promiscuous girls and they are only used to hard men.
But I thought you were a fascist. Are these also gentle sorts?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj

Creativity is not found by "not looking" either. Imagine one content in the repetition of a daily schedule. Creativity smiles upon the observant? The subconscious can be directed.

And so we look at each other shyly, not quite believing what is in front of us. We of course instinctively withdraw, but then shyly and slyly look back at exactly the same moment. And so we see each other looking.

And only after a very long time do we actually hold hands, but it is wonderful and we never want to let go.

And what is old is new again.
That would be an extended metaphor... poetic imagery not cliche. *nods*

Mole

Permabanned
Nice. And a welcome change to the common interplay of the faux-fresh girls with fellows who eat up the half-baked, stale stuff.

But I thought you were a fascist. Are these also gentle sorts?

You've caught me out. How can I be a fascist and a shy fellow as well?

You are a good spin bowler, and it's true, I have been caught out.

And as I tuck the bat under my arm and walk back towards the pavilion, I glance back and see you tossing the ball in air with a smile on your face.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
You've caught me out. How can I be a fascist and a shy fellow as well?

You are a good spin bowler, and it's true, I have been caught out.

And as I tuck the bat under my arm and walk back towards the pavilion, I glance back and see you tossing the ball in air with a smile on your face.

I wasn't trying to bowl you out, for what it's worth. Shane Warne I am not ;)

I thought you might have some views on the special sensitivity of fascist fellows.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Creativity is not found by "not looking" either. Imagine one content in the repetition of a daily schedule. Creativity smiles upon the observant? The subconscious can be directed.

Yes.

This is why I recommended good listening skills.

Mole

Permabanned
I wasn't trying to bowl you out, for what it's worth. Shane Warne I am not ;)

I thought you might have some views on the special sensitivity of fascist fellows.

I started off by saying, "Every nice girl loves a fascist".

And it was the contrast I was after.

Or you might say, I was creating a distinction. And as each distinction must have two sides, 'fascist' and 'nice girl' do seem to be two sides to the same distinction.

In fact all of mathematics is based on the injunction, "Make a distinction".

And all of mathematics is about the relationship between one side of a distinction and the other side.

So there seems to be no reason not to make a calculus of the fascist and the nice girl.

Of course it's fanciful - as I follow my fancy.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Or you might say, I was creating a distinction. And as each distinction must have two sides, 'fascist' and 'nice girl' do seem to be two sides to the same distinction.

In fact all of mathematics is based on the injunction, "Make a distinction".
It seems a dying art, unfortunately. But maybe I am pessimistic in this observation.

And all of mathematics is about the relationship between one side of a distinction and the other side.

So there seems to be no reason not to make a calculus of the fascist and the nice girl.
Yes, I love a good calculus. Do you like promiscuous girls because they don't fancy themselves nice, have given up on being made "nice" via distinction, and so do not demand that you play the countervailing fascist?

Of course it's fanciful - as I follow my fancy.
And whose else should you follow?

Mole

Permabanned
Do you like promiscuous girls because they don't fancy themselves nice, have given up on being made "nice" via distinction, and so do not demand that you play the countervailing fascist?

As you say, you are not trying to bowl me out. Nevertheless you are boxing me in.

Imagine you are successful and you get me in a box. What would you then do with me?

They would ask, what is in the box?

And you would answer, it's Victor, it's a boxed Victor. I don't know what to do with him. With Christmas coming up, I might give him, boxed, as a present. Or I might take him up into my treehouse to keep me company when I'm feeling low. Or I might put him in the basket on the front of my bike and take him on a ride through the countryside. But I am starting to get used to him. And people are asking why I am always carrying a box around with me. So perhaps I will give him away as a Christmas present. I think he would make a wonderful Christmas present.