User Tag List

123 Last

Sniffles

Thumbs up Prayers by the Lake - for those interested in Eastern Christian mysticism

The Prayers by the Lake written in 1922 by St. Bishop Nikolai Velimirovich. The title derives from the fact that he wrote them while living in a monastary on the shores of Lake Ohrid in southern Yugoslavia.

Here are some excerpts from this work, accompained by beautiful Eastern Orthodox chants.

[youtube="QF5qeVfdavY"]Prayers by the Lake[/youtube]

[youtube="Mjh8Vm7AZ-c"]Prayers by the Lake II[/youtube]

[youtube="7QLUg9K9Z6E"]Prayers by the Lake 5[/youtube]

[youtube="_alaka8UL3M"]Prayers by the Lake XXIX[/youtube]

You can read the prayers themselves here:
    Prayers by the Lake

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Gee, Peguy...this is very very beautiful. I am always impressed about your Posts and where you get all those wonderful Things from. Thank you so much for posting this.
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    enfp

eastern orthodoxy church seems cool. if im correct, i think they have a more spiritual interpretation (haven't watched the videos)

my gawd, i posted in a thread about church and had a clubbing post in the same day. horrible!

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    eastern orthodoxy church seems cool. if im correct, i think they have a more spiritual interpretation (haven't watched the videos)
    I sincerely doubt it's more spiritual than the Western tradition; although there are some remarkable differences between the Western and Eastern approaches to mysticism.

This notion probably comes from the Orthodox practice of Hesychasm, where a person retreats into onself to discover knowledge of God. Many have noted the similiarities between this practice and those of meditation from Eastern religions.

The Russian philosopher Nikolai Berdyaev(who was Orthodox) comments about the differences between the two traditions in "Unifying Christians of the East and the West" and summarises the difference as that of: "Eastern Christianity, which inherited the hellenistic spirit, was more meditatively disposed, it concerned itself more in discussing dogmatic questions, and the essential work of the Eastern Patristics was in shaping the dogmas...The West was more practical; it inherited the Roman spirit; is was more busy with questions of organization of the Church and with moral theology."

Or as another Russian philosopher Vladimir Soloviev stated, "While the Eastern Church prays, the Church of the West both prays and works."

That's about as simple as one can possibly summarised the differences between the two traditions, although it goes much deeper than that.

There is much about the Eastern tradition that I love and adore, but at the same time I must honestly say that my spiritual heart belongs in the Western tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by GargoylesLegacy View Post
    Gee, Peguy...this is very very beautiful. I am always impressed about your Posts and where you get all those wonderful Things from. Thank you so much for posting this.
    Thank you.

Well the spiritual richness of the Eastern tradition is not well known to many people. And since many here claim to be interested in mysticism and spirituality, I figure this would be of great interest to them.

Sniffles

BTW, here's another one of the prayers:
    [youtube="GirsJZEVZkE"]Prayers by the Lake 30[/youtube]

MBTI
    INFP

I've only watched the first, Peguy, and plan to return to enjoy them in small servings because the gift is pretty rich to my taste and needs time to digest.

Thanks. As usual, your taste in matters of spirituality is deep.

It's that dualistic nature of his prayers. He's a "straddler" too! Somewhere in between heaven and earth, Eastern and Western from my perpective. And leaning East?

I understand the concept of the Fruits which feed the soul and the fruits which are corrupt and cause decay but can no longer hold that belief. The idea actually shrinks my spiritual world! Too small. Yes.

While I'm earthbound it is all of the same. So, yes, there is an understanding.

Words. Shucks. They fail me.

Perhaps I'll understand more with continued viewing.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Sniffles

I look forward to your commenta Anja.

I will say that he does seem a bit too other-worldly or detached from the world in the pursuit of God. I tend to uphold the paradox that spiritual wisdom comes from a certain detachment as well as attachment to the world. Very much in the tradition of St. Francis.

And yes I do straddle between the East and the West. Many members of my family are Eastern Christians.

MBTI
    INFP

Okay. I came back for #2. Okay. Um. Okay.

Laffin' a little after the initial shock. That one was tough.

Seems he straddles the world of grandiosity and humility some as well. Human condition in action.

Why do I think of Islamic culture?

When I've watched them all I'll tell you a bit about something that gelled my spirituality for me about a year ago.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Okay. I came back for #2. Okay. Um. Okay.

Laffin' a little after the initial shock. That one was tough.
    Oh what, the talk about the bed of worms?
    Why do I think of Islamic culture?
    Well it may get back to what I stated about Hesychasm, and how it relates to Islamic Sufism and other Eastern forms of meditation.

As I kinda mentioned earlier, he seems to be speaking from a standard Eastern monastic viewpoint - which is different from the Western one.

Eastern Monasticism started with St. Anthony, whom went out into the deserts of Egypt to be with God alone. This started a whole movement of Christian hermits forsaking much of social and human contact for this purpose. Eventually these hermits came together and formed monastaries. Yet the basic idea behind the early hermit still lived on, since many Eastern monastaries are literally out in the middle of nowhere - like St. Catherine's or Mount Athos.

Western Monasticism by constrast seems to be more moderate in terms of its detachment from the world.

Of course this is a very tricky topic, one which is not easily explained. You almost have to experience both traditions to fully see their differences.

So I take it overall you're enjoying this?

MBTI
    INFJ

I shall have to come back and pay more attention to the words. Right now just taking in the sound is enough...