MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I like the first and the last one.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post

So I take it overall you're enjoying this?
    You realize that you are asking much here? I consider your offering the quantity to be a sampling to get a better idea. A larger overview.

My slowness in taking them in is of necessity and also some of a hindrance for memory's sake!

Am I enjoying it? Well. I'm a curious person so in that sense, yes. I'm also taking it seriously enough that it's more like work than fun.

Once I've got it all viewed, we'll see what comes out of it for me.

Watching the third one now.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Oh dear. It's that comparison of the natural vs. the spiritual which catches me up.

The elements of his revulsion are jarring to me.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Thank you, Peguy for taking the time to deliver these. Great work.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    INFP

Okay. Done.

Very colorful and vivid imagery.

He's sure caught up in the struggle. A necessary path, I think.

I've jotted a few reminders during the week and will discuss it at more length if you'd like.

I'll need some thoughts from you to continue. Something to get started here.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post

I'll need some thoughts from you to continue. Something to get started here.
    Ok....well I rather like the first prayer when he makes references to the fact that many people are content to rely on crutch, and that true devotion to God requires one to rise above that kind of mentality. As he stated, only the strong are able to do good and devote themselves to God.

It's also pretty ironic since the analogy to a crutch is a common Atheist cliche used to deingrate people of faith.

It reminds me of what Sřren Kierkegaard stated in Sickness Unto Death:

"There is so much talk about being offended by Christianity because it is so dark and gloomy, offended because it is so rigorous, etc., but it would be best of all to explain for once that the real reason that men are offended by Christianity is that it is too high, because its goal is not man’s goal, because it wants to make man into something so extraordinary that he cannot grasp the thought."
    This theme is certainly well expressed by St. Bishop Nikolai Velimirovich in these prayers.

In fact I notice several parallels between this and the writings of Kierkegaard, even if Kierkegaard was commenting from the Lutheran as opposed to the Orthodox tradition of Christianity. That is, the basic theme of solitary union with God.

I can relate to this concept on many deep levels, but at the same time I also stress the importance of the interhuman in spiritual matters. I also follow in the path of my namesakes in stressing the connection between temporal and eternal salvation.

I greatly appreciate the spiritual richness of the Christian East, including examples such as this. As I stated, many members of my family are of the Eastern tradition, and there was a mixing of Eastern and Western traditions in my family. So in many ways I can relate to both worlds.

But at the same time, it also shows me how very much my spiritual heart lies within the Western tradition. This is especially true in regards to Western Christian mysticism.

Perhaps when you're done commenting on this, I can show you examples of Western mystics like St. John of the Cross; and you can better appreciate and compare the two traditions.

MBTI
    INFP

I remember reading about San Juan de la Cruz when I studied Spanish history. Long time ago. I felt a sense of connection with him and the other Spanish mystics. Heck, any mystics!

St. Julian of Norwich is another. "All manner of things will yet be well."

The idea of people accusing those of faith as weak and needing crutches is ironic in the sense that I see them as needy mendicants lying in the gutter and scorning those who are able to walk with assistance!

His ambivalence about his human condition is only exceeded by his ambivalence about his spirit! That dualism just catches me up. Can't do it!

It is interesting to me that this has played out in his removing himself from society and still he is "of." Great deal of discontent in the spiritual stage he inhabits.

He seems to perceive the divine in self. Is he capable of seeing it in others?

The striving intellectualism, while it seems important to work through, is actually a barrier to a joyful faith, I think.

MBTI
    INFP

Gotta come back, remembering that I'm comunicating with a Jay.

No value judgement in the final statement. I see it all as part of a process.

MBTI
    INFP

More.

Can you give me a quick bio?

Age at the time he wrote, former life experience in the community?

MBTI
    ENFP

Hesychasm - I think the only real difference in this respect between the East and West is its practice. The general idea however, is very prevelant in Charismatic Churches in the West. It says in the Bible that indeed by faith Jesus Himself comes to live in us and so any exploration of Him will ultimately lead us inwards. The idea that we must preform works does not somehow disconnect us from this princle though and is based on Biblical teaching that "Faith without works is dead"

I personally love the detachment that he promotes and it fits in with the sentiment that we are "In the world but not of it"

I think in the West instead of hermits we have fasts and during this process one can become quite isolated. It is undertaken for similar purposes/. Am going to enjoy the rest of them now I just wanted to share some thoughts
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??