User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 45

  1. #1
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default on Philosophy of Education

    Axiom: The ultimate end to all education is emendation of the intellect.

    Intellect: Ability to solve complex problems as quickly and accurately as possible.

    Requirements: Abstract perception and logical reasoning skills. The former cannot be taught. One either is able to generate abstract perceptions or is not. One is either imaginative or not imaginative. However, one's logical reasoning skills could be cultivated in a very systematic fashion.

    Role of education in emendation of the intellect: Furnishing of logical reasoning skills.

    How is this to be done?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Three components of education: 1. Logic/Mathematics. 2. Philosophy. 3.Rhetoric

    Logic teaches us the patterns of reasoning and sharpens our reasoning skills directly. Philosophy teaches us to apply these skills to solving all problems that we could envisage. Rhetoric teaches us to communicate our ideas to others and therefore allows for us to assist on another in our task to cultivate our reasoning skills.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  2. #2
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    What about education via experimentation, observing, modeling, playing, collecting, sorting and analyzing experience/information and through interacting, i.e. brainstorming with other people?

    I believe that the fundamental role of education and hence of educators is to provide students with the right arsenal of tools so as to prime and prepare them to eventually one day each become independent, critical thinkers, which in essence would enable and liberate them to actually be able to educate/think for themselves.

    Also, I think educators do kids a great disservice by falsely assuming that everybody learns/acquires knowledge in the same way.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  3. #3
    Senior Member Bufo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    onto
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Brief but nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Requirements: Abstract perception and logical reasoning skills. The former cannot be taught.
    Can be taught, I think; though classrooms may not be sufficient. A wise and careful child rearing may induce the ability for abstract perception in children.

  4. #4
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bufo View Post



    Can be taught, I think; though classrooms may not be sufficient. A wise and careful child rearing may induce the ability for abstract perception in children.
    Explain further how this could be done.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Also, I think educators do kids a great disservice by falsely assuming that everybody learns/acquires knowledge in the same way.
    If educators still do this, it's because they obstinately fail to hear what has been being said for years in education.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  6. #6
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Could we call this BW's new trivium?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Socionics
    IxTJ
    Posts
    59

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Axiom: The ultimate end to all education is emendation of the intellect.
    The end of education is character.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Intellect: Ability to solve complex problems as quickly and accurately as possible.
    That's a definition of intelligence. All intelligence is problem solving skill.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Requirements: Abstract perception and logical reasoning skills.
    For who? NT's? Yep.

    For SP, SJ, and NF learners, a resounding NO.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    The former cannot be taught. One either is able to generate abstract perceptions or is not.
    I tell you what I tell my students who are not NT's.
    Insight of intellect into phantasm produces understanding. (Anaximander)

    I let them go and grade them a pass provided they can show how they reached their conclusions.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    One is either imaginative or not imaginative.
    Kaphophatic and apophatic are the words you are looking for.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    However, one's logical reasoning skills could be cultivated in a very systematic fashion.
    Yes, but what of the learning style of different types? You are speaking NT language here, which may be alienating to other types. A fine theory, but somewhat impractical.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Role of education in emendation of the intellect: Furnishing of logical reasoning skills.
    Role of Education: Furnishing skills which contribute to good character.


    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    How is this to be done?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Three components of education: 1. Logic/Mathematics. 2. Philosophy. 3.Rhetoric

    Logic teaches us the patterns of reasoning and sharpens our reasoning skills directly. Philosophy teaches us to apply these skills to solving all problems that we could envisage. Rhetoric teaches us to communicate our ideas to others and therefore allows for us to assist on another in our task to cultivate our reasoning skills.
    Very good. Especially for NT's. But my SP students, my NF students, my SJ students would all struggle. What do you offer different learning styles?
    Speak Truthfully, Act Righteously

  8. #8
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saieditor View Post
    Yes, but what of the learning style of different types? You are speaking NT language here, which may be alienating to other types. A fine theory, but somewhat impractical.
    He's said nothing about the process of teaching, only what subjects need to be taught. I do think his model is missing a letters category, though. Unless the rhetoric part would cover literature (though it sounds more like it would cover communication and argument).
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Requirements: Abstract perception and logical reasoning skills. The former cannot be taught. One either is able to generate abstract perceptions or is not.
    Computer Science, Applied Computational Mathematics, and General Engineering (taken by many Engineering disciplines--mainly in the form of feedback and control theory or "Signals and Systems") all have explit coursework intended to teach people how to make proper abstractions.

    I am sure many other programs have similar courses.

    This endevour, when taken as a whole is known as "Math Modeling."

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  10. #10
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Computer Science, Applied Computational Mathematics, and General Engineering (taken by many Engineering disciplines--mainly in the form of feedback and control theory or "Signals and Systems") all have explit coursework intended to teach people how to make proper abstractions.

    I am sure many other programs have similar courses.

    This endevour, when taken as a whole is known as "Math Modeling."
    It is pretty clear that the disciplines you mentioned cultivate one's logical reasoning skills, though it is unclear to me how they cultivate one's faculties of imagination.

    It seems plausible to me however, that a person who deals with abstract ideas often or frequently uses his imagination will become slightly more imaginative, but not significantly more. With logical reasoning, this is not so. Even the most illogical of individuals, over time, may learn to reason with competence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    He's said nothing about the process of teaching, only what subjects need to be taught. I do think his model is missing a letters category, though. Unless the rhetoric part would cover literature (though it sounds more like it would cover communication and argument).

    That is correct. The purpose of subjects of rhetoric is to teach the student the skills necessary to discuss ideas with others. This clearly will involve a careful study of communication techniques and literature. The study of literature will be means to the end of the study of communication techniques. In order to communicate effectively, one must understand human nature, as this is required in order to understand how people perceive ideas. Literature often offers great insight into human nature as well as many useful techniques of expression, as we notice the most elaborate and creative uses of language are found most easily in novels, plays and poetry. Clearly one of the salient merits of a literary artist consist in his ability to convey as many thoughts and emotions as possible in a way that others would be influenced.

    Quote Originally Posted by saieditor View Post
    The end of education is character. ?
    You seem to have a different notion of education in mind than I do. Mine is very specific regarding what one must accomplish in order to become a competent thinker. This is the notion of education that is most common in post-graduate university programs. The notion of education that you seem to have in mind is more common in the schooling systems for children and teenagers.




    That's a definition of intelligence. All intelligence is problem solving skill.



    Quote Originally Posted by saieditor View Post
    For who? NT's? Yep.

    For SP, SJ, and NF learners, a resounding NO. ?
    Essentially, when we solve a problem, we first use our imagination to conceive of what the problem is, or simply get an idea of what the problem is that we are working with, secondly we perform logical analysis to arrive at the very specific results that we are looking for.

    It seems to be the case that all types do this, not just NTs.

    You suggest that this is not the only way to solve complex problems, please point out a different way to do so.









    Quote Originally Posted by saieditor View Post
    Kaphophatic and apophatic are the words you are looking for. ?
    These words do not exist in the conventional dictionary. (Dictionary.com)

    Though perhaps they may be found in a more technical dictionary. Explain their meaning further please.



    Quote Originally Posted by saieditor View Post
    Yes, but what of the learning style of different types? You are speaking NT language here, which may be alienating to other types. A fine theory, but somewhat impractical. ?

    Very good. Especially for NT's. But my SP students, my NF students, my SJ students would all struggle. What do you offer different learning styles
    That is not relevant to my theory, as Orangey pointed out, I am merely concerned with exploring the question of what subjects ought to be taught.

    Generally, when we get to the level of education my inquiry focuses on (post-graduate university level) most students have a clear idea of what learning style works best for them and they have the liberty to employ whatever method suits their purposes. Because the educator offers such liberties to the student, he is exampt from the responsibilities to accomodate their needs in this regard.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Similar Threads

  1. On legality of Infanticide
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 176
    Last Post: 11-24-2008, 07:59 AM
  2. [ENTP] On: Overassessment of entp savvy
    By entropie in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-27-2008, 08:56 AM
  3. Any suggestions for books on Philosophy?
    By ladypinkington in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-17-2008, 12:39 PM
  4. Informal Discussion on the Philosophy of Science
    By ygolo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 12:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO