• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

on Philosophy of Education

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Brief comment... (I didn't read the whole thread but I think this is worth pointing out)

Axiom: The ultimate end to all education is emendation of the intellect.

The number one priority should be to make the students "good people", or make them humane, integrate them into the society and so on (you can't leave this big responsibility to the parents alone). It's a lot more useful to have a society of good people than a society of intellects.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Brief comment... (I didn't read the whole thread but I think this is worth pointing out)

The number one priority should be to make the students "good people", or make them humane, integrate them into the society and so on (you can't leave this big responsibility to the parents alone). It's a lot more useful to have a society of good people than a society of intellects.

That is evidence of you not having read the thread.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
If your first assumption was wrong, why should I read your conclusions of it?

(Maybe I will, if I get some energy, but no promises...)

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Oh, you're talking about this:

You seem to have a different notion of education in mind than I do. Mine is very specific regarding what one must accomplish in order to become a competent thinker. This is the notion of education that is most common in post-graduate university programs. The notion of education that you seem to have in mind is more common in the schooling systems for children and teenagers.

Damn, you should have said so... I thought you were talking about the whole education. I'm not so interested in this kind of education you're talking about. I see a lot more wrong with the education of the young.

I'll be off now.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If your first assumption was wrong, why should I read your conclusions of it?

(Maybe I will, if I get some energy, but no promises...)

You have shown that you are thinking of education in a different fashion than I was, or in other words, we are not even talking about the same thing!