Thread: Is MBTI a Cult?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    It is of course deeply dangerous to partake of knowledge that may lead to greater self-understanding.

The story of Genesis is by no means a literal depiction of creation, but a metaphorical one. And we know how fond Victor is of metaphors. And we can presume by his style of posting that he has read the Holy Book more times than once.

And the story of Adam and Eve is the story of how Man's intellectual curiosity (let us not be politically correct here) led to his downfall.

For who ate of the forbidden fruit gained knowledge of good and evil, and became ashamed of themselves, seeing for the first time what potential was inside them.

And when Adam and Eve clothed their nekkidness, they were masking not only their physical bodies from the piercing sight of others, but their pure souls from the piercing gaze of the judgemental human intellect.

And the Fall was not only a fall from a primeval state of bliss, but a fall into the material world, and a state of bondage and thralldom.

And this thralldom is principally unto our own intellects, which create material demands that must be satisfied, and distance us from being free to simply experience what is.

Victor would like us to return to that state of primeval bliss, of simply being free to be, and is here to show us the way. Which is very naughty of him.

For the desire to know oneself is good, but the use of the false tools created by the perverted intellect of Man to achieve this, is Bad.

I, like Victor, am very naughty.
    You are also not a nice girl.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    You are also not a nice girl.
    *my apologies*

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    It is of course deeply dangerous to partake of knowledge that may lead to greater self-understanding.

The story of Genesis is by no means a literal depiction of creation, but a metaphorical one. And we know how fond Victor is of metaphors. And we can presume by his style of posting that he has read the Holy Book more times than once.

And the story of Adam and Eve is the story of how Man's intellectual curiosity (let us not be politically correct here) led to his downfall.

For who ate of the forbidden fruit gained knowledge of good and evil, and became ashamed of themselves, seeing for the first time what potential was inside them.

And when Adam and Eve clothed their nekkidness, they were masking not only their physical bodies from the piercing sight of others, but their pure souls from the piercing gaze of the judgemental human intellect.

And the Fall was not only a fall from a primeval state of bliss, but a fall into the material world, and a state of bondage and thralldom.

And this thralldom is principally unto our own intellects, which create material demands that must be satisfied, and distance us from being free to simply experience what is.

Victor would like us to return to that state of primeval bliss, of simply being free to be, and is here to show us the way. Which is very naughty of him.

For the desire to know oneself is good, but the use of the false tools created by the perverted intellect of Man to achieve this, is Bad.

Quel superb!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

I thought the Adam and Eve story was about how we evolved from monkeys
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    ENFP

Victor's avatar is cross-eyed and that's silly.

I actually have a cult. It's k-rad. I use the MBTI test alot in it. So there ya go.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

"It is of course deeply dangerous to partake of knowledge that may lead to greater self-understanding."

That's absurd!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^ See Irony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Victor, has it not occurred that were you to consider that you may be wrong about the whole cult thing then others may be more likely to consider your words as not one of some radical conspiracy theorist but actually something thought out and constructed well.

Personally I disagree with the cult idea but I'm open to the idea that this may be because of how it was introduced to me and that perhaps I am lacking on my exposure to the more zealot elements. There again I would repeat my challenge to your own validation of so called qualified psychometricians. In terms of qualifications there does seem to be a fair few people trained in psychology who seem to think that the MBTI is worthwhile.

Of course the practical side of me would challenge that if the MBTI is somehow flawed by it's "cult" element then how does it produce the results it does or do you side with those who tend to think that people validate their behaviour by their type and hence become their own self fulfilling prophet?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Victor, has it not occurred that were you to consider that you may be wrong about the whole cult thing then others may be more likely to consider your words as not one of some radical conspiracy theorist but actually something thought out and constructed well.

Personally I disagree with the cult idea but I'm open to the idea that this may be because of how it was introduced to me and that perhaps I am lacking on my exposure to the more zealot elements. There again I would repeat my challenge to your own validation of so called qualified psychometricians. In terms of qualifications there does seem to be a fair few people trained in psychology who seem to think that the MBTI is worthwhile.

Of course the practical side of me would challenge that if the MBTI is somehow flawed by it's "cult" element then how does it produce the results it does or do you side with those who tend to think that people validate their behaviour by their type and hence become their own self fulfilling prophet?
    You must know that to apply a personality test to oneself will not give valid results.

And for an untrained and unqualified person to give a personality test to another will give invalid results.

And to apply a personality test to someone you don't know is absurd.

So I must ask why is a personality test being applied in this way across the world?

Part of the answer lies in its history. And part of the answer lies in a social movement.

Of course personality tests do have their uses. But it is vital to know their limitations otherwise they become absurd or articles of belief in a world wide cult.

Also personality tests need to be designed by University trained psychometricians and administered in a professional setting.

MBTI meets none of these qualifications.

In fact MBTI is used in exactly the same way the Zodiac is used.

And both the Zodiac and MBTI are popular across the world.

Why is this?

Both are pseudo science - the Zodiac is pseudo astronomy and MBTI is pseudo psychology.

And both appeal to gullible narcissism.

But its worse than that.

Both the Zodiac and MBTI are defences against our unconscious.

And the electronic media are now making the unconscious, conscious. Just as in any tribe.

But for 200 years literacy has dissociated our conscious and our unconscious.

But right now our conscious and unconscious are imploding under the impact of the electronic media.

And so in our desperation we reach around for anything that will maintain our dissociation.

In the larger sphere we reach for totalitarian solutions like communism or nazism and now militant islam.

And in the personal sphere we reach for the zodiac or mbti.

With our inner world imploding around us, naturally we are subject to frights and alarms.

And so we are susceptible to any fake nostrum offered us.

So how can we keep our head when all the rest are losing theirs?