User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: Is MBTI a Cult?

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Victor,

What is new-age about typology?
    Also what yeast bubbles the rise of your idea of MBTI as cult dogma?

Love,
    -Nocapszy

P.S. Send me some of the drugs you do.
    I'll pay the shipping cost as a parcel from across the globe will surely cost a great lot of money with oil prices as ludicrous as they are, and I would hate to put you in that kind of financial situation.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I do though try and share my excitement. And I do have some success for short periods of time. But mostly people want to go back to boredom and emotional depression. I can only guess but perhaps boredom and emotional depression feel safe and familiar.
    Patience is a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    You never had a pony named Trixie, what a big fat liar.

You and your metaphor-whoring.
    Yes, she was a piebald pony. Beautifully trained but highly strung with a mind of her own.

Most of all I liked to ride out into the hills where I hadn't been before. And just keep on riding, discovering all kinds of things until it was time to turn home. Trixie liked that moment and would head home immediately. And I was keen to get home as the sun was setting and my mother was preparing a delicious dinner.

Trixie was a well trained show pony and we would enter all the horse shows the and sometimes win a ribbon.

Trixie also like to jump which was very exciting.

And we played polo-cross which was great fun.

Sometimes I would go up the back to keep her company and she would put her head on my shoulder and go to sleep. And I can tell you even ponies have very heavy heads.

My dog, Blackie, was jealous of her and would show his complete contempt for her by lying between her legs and refusing to get out of the way.

And she was a very pretty pony. And, as you point out, a wonderful metaphor.

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Note the irony in your taking such an extreme position on this particular topic against a rejection of cultism which is defined by extremism.
    Well, you've got me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Victor,

What is new-age about typology?
    Also what yeast bubbles the rise of your idea of MBTI as cult dogma?

Love,
    -Nocapszy

P.S. Send me some of the drugs you do.
    I'll pay the shipping cost as a parcel from across the globe will surely cost a great lot of money with oil prices as ludicrous as they are, and I would hate to put you in that kind of financial situation.
    Well, I define a cult as a guru and their followers.

And it seems to me that Jung was a guru with many followers.

And Jung was the father of MBTI.

So MBTI is a cult.

And there is nothing new about the New Age. I reached its height in the first part of the 20th Century in Europe, particularly in the German world.

And Jung was right in the midst of it.

And sure, send me the money and I will send you concoctions that will drive you mad with spontaneous delight, throw you into transports of empathy and take you to the heights of creativity. And then throw you down in the Presence of the world's top celebrities.

What more could you ask for?

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    That was on my mind too, but I don't think it's the main issue.

I think the main issue is whether or not MBTI is contrived empirically. A system modeled after the patterns in the universe does not neccessarily contain the foundations of those patterns. In other words, if MBTI is contrived, it may fit the data, but it does not necessarily explain where the data come from.

Since no one seems to know what the biological or environmental basis for personality is, it is hard for me to believe that the cognitive processes -- Ti, Te, Si, Se, Ni, Ne, Fi, Fe -- are actually cognitive processes, as opposed to behavioral patterns. I think this is the trap that a lot of people fall into -- they end up thinking that the cognitive processes are locked-in fundamental modes of brain function, and the total personality is a linear combination of these processes. I don't think this is true.
    It's interesting that of all human artifacts, personality and culture are the most stable.

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

So MBTI is a cult.

And there is nothing new about the New Age. I reached its height in the first part of the 20th Century in Europe, particularly in the German world.

And sure, send me the money and I will send you concoctions that will drive you mad with spontaneous delight, throw you into transports of empathy and take you to the heights of creativity. And then throw you down in the Presence of the world's top celebrities.

Jung did not set up MBTI. Those were Myers and Briggs. I doubt strongly that Jung has asked anyone to follow him. Btw, if he did, it would be a case for INFJ, if he didn't it would be a case for INTX.

What is your final point? Couldn't it be possible that people rationally choose to think about personality by using MBTI? It's another concept, and a strong one I think. And Jung was one of the more insightful persons. And don't think I admire (of 'follow') him now. You read books too, aren't they part of your own 'cult'? It's all about retaining personal freedom, one always has to remain a reserve in whcih one keeps a fresh look at things.

Edit: Yeah, now I really see your point. You want to urge people to do things beyond themselves. What if MBTI is such a thing for people? Subsequently, it remains a matter of personality if one will stick with that or keeps looking further.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

So MBTI is a cult.
    Well then sure. The MBTI has a cult following.
    But by this definition, a cult is not necessarily such a bad thing.

Don't worry ol' buddy. I agree with you. MBTI is horrendous.
    We're just exercising our argumentative minds.

And I've heard from a few sources he was.
    Have you read his books? They're clean of political bias, from what I could tell.

Very little. Most of the time, we buy toys and video games to give us these things. A substance which gives it outright skips the middle man.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Speak to any psychometrician with a doctorate from a recognised University, and ask why no qualified psychometricians use MBTI.

You might also ask about the proper use of a bona fide personality test. And I am sure you would be told it is not to be self administered. And certainly not administered by unqualified people to their friends. And of course it would be absurd to administer it to those you don't even know.
    Yeah because who knows how many years of deep psychological damage may be wrought (on other people) when someone believes they're the wrong type!
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Yeah because who knows how many years of deep psychological damage may be wrought (on other people) when someone believes they're the wrong type!
    It is of course deeply dangerous to partake of knowledge that may lead to greater self-understanding.

The story of Genesis is by no means a literal depiction of creation, but a metaphorical one. And we know how fond Victor is of metaphors. And we can presume by his style of posting that he has read the Holy Book more times than once.

And the story of Adam and Eve is the story of how Man's intellectual curiosity (let us not be politically correct here) led to his downfall.

For who ate of the forbidden fruit gained knowledge of good and evil, and became ashamed of themselves, seeing for the first time what potential was inside them.

And when Adam and Eve clothed their nekkidness, they were masking not only their physical bodies from the piercing sight of others, but their pure souls from the piercing gaze of the judgemental human intellect.

And the Fall was not only a fall from a primeval state of bliss, but a fall into the material world, and a state of bondage and thralldom.

And this thralldom is principally unto our own intellects, which create material demands that must be satisfied, and distance us from being free to simply experience what is.

Victor would like us to return to that state of primeval bliss, of simply being free to be, and is here to show us the way. Which is very naughty of him.

For the desire to know oneself is good, but the use of the false tools created by the perverted intellect of Man to achieve this, is Bad.

I, like Victor, am very naughty.