User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 88

Thread: Is MBTI a Cult?

  1. #31
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Yeah really. I myself have noted that MBTI can be seen as part of the general "culture of narcissicism", when used for those kinds of purposes. But I'd argue that the true purpose of MBTI is furthering the cause of geniune self-understanding, not narcissicism.

  2. #32
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    If you want to walk into the Methodist Church and tell them they're a cult it's just as sensible of a move, you know
    A cult is characterised by a guru and followers. As distinct from a philosopher who needs no followers because he teaches us to think for ourselves.

    Now Jesus Christ was guru of some note who deliberately sought followers. And so was a founder of cult.

    Of course if I walked into a Methodist Church and told them they were a cult, I would get exactly the same response as I get here.

    Because just as the Methodist Church is a cult, the New Age is a counter-cult.

    And it is very plain that the Methodists do see the New Agers as fully fledged competitors.

  3. #33
    Reason vs Being ragashree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    His goal is not to formulate a coherent opinion. If you read his other posts, you will see that he tends to join up into various groups or causes (IIRC) and then later repudiates them after an initial romance, which leads inevitably to disillusionment. Now he needs to be rejected, so he becomes more vocal in repudiation. I just want you to what you really mean.
    That's the impression I get too . The guy does seem to have the beginnings of a sense of humour, and a certain amount of insight, but spoils any possiblity of engaging meaningfully with people by his incredibly defensive outlook. The disjointed lists of platitudes are actually a good way of providing something that is not really an argument, and cannot therefore be argued against. My suspicion is that Victor is so unsure of himself, despite his posturing, that he does not actually want to have to establish a solid position that he would then have to defend, because he lacks the confidence to deal with the consequences of actually losing. But as I said, I would like to see him do so. It would help to convince me that there's actually a person behind the intellectual posturing. He can be entertaining, but if what he's showing of himself is really all there is...

  4. #34
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    A cult is characterised by a guru and followers. As distinct from a philosopher who needs no followers because he teaches us to think for ourselves.

    Now Jesus Christ was guru of some note who deliberately sought followers. And so was a founder of cult.

    Of course if I walked into a Methodist Church and told them they were a cult, I would get exactly the same response as I get here.

    Because just as the Methodist Church is a cult, the New Age is a counter-cult.

    And it is very plain that the Methodists do see the New Agers as fully fledged competitors.
    Well, the Methodists probably also use MBTI in pre-ordination processes and such. Most churches do.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  5. #35
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    So would you say that any group of people with a common beleif is a cult? I've spoken to cult experts on the topic before and according to them cults generally are much smaller, more secretive about beleifs and rituals and usually have an aspect that's harmful towards its beleivers. I don't beleive that the MBTI or the Methodist Church would fall into these descriptions.

    You would receive a very different reception from here at any church in my hometown- you would probably get thrown angrilly into the street or physically harmed by people. Don't mess with a person's God- the MBTI is merely an intellectual toy or hobby There's a difference.

    I don't see organized religion sweating the existance of new agers in the least, though I live on the tail end of the Bible Belt. Organized religion has itself to worry about- not new agers.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  6. #36
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    A cult is characterised by a guru and followers. As distinct from a philosopher who needs no followers because he teaches us to think for ourselves.

    Now Jesus Christ was guru of some note who deliberately sought followers. And so was a founder of cult.

    Of course if I walked into a Methodist Church and told them they were a cult, I would get exactly the same response as I get here.

    Because just as the Methodist Church is a cult, the New Age is a counter-cult.

    And it is very plain that the Methodists do see the New Agers as fully fledged competitors.
    Do people here really talk about Jung and his infallible wisdom?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  7. #37
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Correct. You share little about yourself, yet you obsessively attract attention through provocation. Which approach is more narcissistic?
    Yeah, Victor, answer the good man's question, please!!!

    And... yeah, yeah, I am a cunning, vacuous, temptress fill-in-the-blank, so you can kindly skip divulging that irrelevant and offensive part in your response, k?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  8. #38
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Well, the Methodists probably also use MBTI in pre-ordination processes and such. Most churches do.
    Yes, it is a world wide cult. It is even used at my Catholic University.

    I have noticed it is very popular with rebellious nuns who can't quite bring themselves to abandon Catholicism, but smuggle MBTI and the New Age in the back door.

    You may be surprised how many New Age workshops are conducted at my Catholic University.

    And I can tell you there are no workshops on doubt and dissent. And skeptical inquiry is unknown.

    My University has been dumbed down by the New Age and is really no more than a theological college.

    It seems people hate learning for the same reason they hate exercise - so we become obese and dumb.

  9. #39
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    I first read Lao-Tzu while staying in a convent- the two do not conflict, merely complement.

    The world is not made up of oppositions- nothing is black and white. There's no reason to condemn one of the foundations of a site which you frequent. This would be cutting off your foot to make a point. All that would stick in our heads would be the foot removal (which makes me think of Kathy Bates in Misery )
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  10. #40
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Come on, man. Write us a BlueWing-style essay with arguments and evidence. Don't give us these one-liners with charged language. Give us something real. I think it's possible, and you are not delivering. And that makes this a very lame exercise indeed.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Similar Threads

  1. Is MBTI Definite?
    By fill in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 03:51 PM
  2. is MBTI type related with economic condition?
    By niki in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-14-2009, 07:08 PM
  3. Is MBTI useful?
    By musicheck in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 11:41 AM
  4. Is MBTI a valid instrument?
    By Mole in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 05-15-2008, 08:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO