User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Is MBTI a Cult?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

@Victor: Evidence or STFU.

Someone as gifted as you think you are, should be able to present a coherent argument in support of your claims.

So far your score is 0/10.

Try harder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    So, Victor, here's the deal - every time you feel like mentioning your opinion that MBTI is a cult, post HERE. Okeedoke? It can be your blog of opinion.
    LOL I enjoyed this decision. Much better than just putting it in the graveyard. Now people can see it, and Victor has no excuse not to come up with a reasoned argument to substantiate his point of view. I will enjoy seeing such a thing. I would like to believe that Victor is a real person who actually is capable of formulating a coherent opinion on something. Now is your chance to prove it. IF you want to.

What you have done is to compromise my liberty by marginalising me.
    No, she gave you a legitimate thread on the main forum, related to the opinions you were expressing. It's not exactly the graveyard. Stop being a whinging Aussie.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    That's pretty much what I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    *Victor has surrendered two pieces of personal information in this thread.*

That may be a first. In my experience anyway.
    This is interesting, isn't it?

In a site explicitly devoted to narcissism, I don't obsessively talk about myself.

But why does a site devoted to narcissism, not seem odd, strange and spare?

And why do I, on this site, seem so odd, strange and spare.

And the answer lies in the narcissistic culture of our environment.

And our culture is the Culture of Personality.

And MBTI lies at the very heart of this culture - and so seems entirely normal.

The culture of narcissism produces the culture of personality which produces MBTI.

Look around you we worship the personalities of Celebrities and obsess about our own personalities.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

You're not making a very good case for yourself. Do you posess any other method of argument, other than the repetition of the one-line platitiude?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    I would like to believe that Victor is a real person who actually is capable of formulating a coherent opinion on something. Now is your chance to prove it. IF you want to.
    His goal is not to formulate a coherent opinion. If you read his other posts, you will see that he tends to join up into various groups or causes (IIRC) and then later repudiates them after an initial romance, which leads inevitably to disillusionment. Now he needs to be rejected, so he becomes more vocal in repudiation. I just want you to say what you really mean.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Honestly, I think that one could totally make a case for Jung's typology being quasi new-age spirituality, and I think that if Victor really wanted to think an argument through for his "culture of personality" thing, he'd have something interesting here.

This is an invitation for him to do so.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post

Someone as gifted as you think you are, should be able to present a coherent argument in support of your claims.

So far your score is 0/10.

Try harder.
    Does he have to?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Where is MBTI functioning as a cult? Here? Some of the defining attributes of a cult include its members separating themselves from society by holding extremist positions and the veneration of its leader as having power to dictate and control all aspects of their life. It has to do with giving over one's will to another person.

There are people who take MBTI as absolute truth even though it is a constructed theory that is not regarded as fact in psychology found in academia. It is considered pop psychology, and some people treat it as scientific fact. The problems that result from an unquestioning approach to it are worth exploring, but to overstate it to the point of being false makes such an argument inaccurate and ineffective. It's like shooting yourself in the foot.

The theory is developed without the use of the scientific method and does not correlate specifically to the study of the brain. The poles that are devised in it seem to have some validity in that some people think linear vs. global, structured vs. non-structured, concrete vs. abstract, etc. It is certainly more relevant than the system based on medieval concept of bodily fluids (choleric, melancholy, sanguine, and phlegmatic). I am not presently aware of a way of deconstructing personality that seems more reasoned than MBTI, but that certainly does not mean it is a flawless or even a correct system.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This is interesting, isn't it?

In a site explicitly devoted to narcissism, I don't obsessively talk about myself.
    Correct. You share little about yourself, yet you obsessively attract attention through provocation. Which approach is more narcissistic?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."