User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Is MBTI a Cult?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

This brings up a good question- if cults are bad and the MBTI is a cult why are you here?

Just curious!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Indeed. Why would you join a community (which you yourself regard as cult-like) and then seek to brand your fellows with the appellation of cult-follower? The psychological dimensions would be interesting if not so obviously and thoroughly conflicted.
    I was invited to join MBTI Central by Geoff after he had read my posts on the site called, "Gifted and Talented Talk".

Geoff told us that MBTI Central was well run and tolerant. And it is.

But having joined MBTI Central, I then began to research MBTI and its history.

And of course I thought that the members of MBTI Central would be vitally interested in the history of MBTI itself. But I was wrong.

Almost all the members are vitally interested in maintaining the reputation of MBTI. And they see any discussion of the history of MBTI as an attack on the reputation of MBTI.

But even more important most members identify with MBTI in exactly the same way any member identifies with any cult. And so naturally they feel any critique of the cult is a personal attack on them and their integrity.

I must admit I find this intellectually disorienting - and I can't quite believe it is taking place in front of my eyes.

I suspect I am naive.

On the other hand, I enjoy posting here. And I think the group interactions are important.

The only price I pay for my enjoyment is cognitive dissonance.

And I know that cognitive dissonance is a sign I am learning something.

But so far, I don't know what it is.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

*Victor has surrendered two pieces of personal information in this thread.*

That may be a first. In my experinece anyway.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Geoff told us that MBTI Central was well run and tolerant. And it is.

But having joined MBTI Central, I then began to research MBTI and its history.

And of course I thought that the members of MBTI Central would be vitally interested in the history of MBTI itself. But I was wrong.

Almost all the members are vitally interested in maintaining the reputation of MBTI. And they see any discussion of the history of MBTI as an attack on the reputation of MBTI.
    I hate passive-aggressive bullshit.

But even more important most members identify with MBTI in exactly the same way any member identifies with any cult. And so naturally they feel any critique of the cult is a personal attack on them and their integrity.
    The idea that most members here identify with MBTI as a cult is pretty ridiculous. Certainly not true for me. I don't have a problem with criticism. At all.

I do have a problem with people lobbing around terms like "worldwide fascist cult of Jung" (these terms are loaded) and making remarks veiled under the sneering veneer of a reasoned critique.

If you want to be taken seriously, start acting serious. Stop engaging in hyperbole that does nothing to further your case, if that is even the point of your exhortations, which I seriously doubt.

I must admit I find this intellectually disorienting - and I can't quite believe it is taking place in front of my eyes.

I suspect I am naive.

On the other hand, I enjoy posting here. And I think the group interactions are important.

The only price I pay for my enjoyment is cognitive dissonance.

And I know that cognitive dissonance is a sign I am learning something.

But so far, I don't know what it is.
    More rhetorical bullshit. Your words conceal.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Victor, I generally enjoy your posts.

But stop speaking in platitudes, just for one day.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    This brings up a good question- if cults are bad and the MBTI is a cult why are you here?

Just curious!
    When I was invited to join MBTI Central, I didn't know MBTI was a world wide cult. And no one told me - I had to find out for myself.

However MBTI Central and MBTI are two different things - and now MBTI Central, like the Soviet Union, no longer exists. Instead we now have Typology Central.

And I find Central both good and bad. So of course I stay for the good and try to change the bad.

But what I really find interesting is that I can express myself creatively here to a wide range of people across the world.

Also I value cognitive dissonance and the learning it brings.

And I suspect that cognitive dissonance is the biggest problem I present for you. Simply because cognitive dissonance is mentally painful and the purpose of any cult is to reduce mental pain.

So I cause you pain and of course you react. You are unable to tell me you are in pain, so you show me you are in pain by causing me pain. Commonly enough by accusing me a being a troll.

But what you don't understand is that learning is changing your mind. And changing your mind cause cognitive dissonance which is mentally painful.

However it is a good pain - like stretching a muscle - but here you are stretching the muscle of your mind.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

So, Victor, here's the deal - every time you feel like mentioning your opinion that MBTI is a cult, post HERE. Okeedoke? It can be your blog of opinion.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    So, Victor, here's the deal - every time you feel like mentioning your opinion that MBTI is a cult, post HERE. Okeedoke? It can be your blog of opinion.
    If liberty means anything, it means saying what others don't want to hear.

What you have done is to compromise my liberty by marginalising me.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm merely saying- if you're going to be here perhaps complaining that it's a cult isn't the most intelligent idea. It's like eating a pizza with pepperoni and sausage toppings while announcing that you're a strict vegan- smacking a bit of hypocrisy almost.

Just pointing out an observation.

And I'd say that it's more like a church in that not everyone here knows much about the MBTI or beleives that strongly- it's a social site with a common bond. If you want to walk into the Methodist Church and tell them they're a cult it's just as sensible of a move, you know
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    If liberty means anything, it means saying what others don't want to hear.

What you have done is to compromise my liberty by marginalising me.
    Again, stop with the intellectualizing bullshit.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."