• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Questions For LDS/Mormons...

LindseyLadybug

MBTI Type
INFJ
I hope this is the correct place to ask this question. I have always been curious about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and I was wondering if there were any LDS on here who could tell me more about it and how much of your faith is part of your daily life. What are the temples like? What things (beliefs, things you wear, practices, etc) set you apart as LDS? Do you think your personality type affects your faith?

This is not meant to bash mormons. I'm genuinely interested. When I search online, I find a lot of people bashing/making fun of mormons so I don't find any factual information (or I'm not sure which is fact). I want to hear it from people who have experience. (I am a Christian, by the way.)

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I hope this is the correct place to ask this question. I have always been curious about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and I was wondering if there were any LDS on here who could tell me more about it and how much of your faith is part of your daily life. What are the temples like? What things (beliefs, things you wear, practices, etc) set you apart as LDS? Do you think your personality type affects your faith?

This is not meant to bash mormons. I'm genuinely interested. When I search online, I find a lot of people bashing/making fun of mormons so I don't find any factual information (or I'm not sure which is fact). I want to hear it from people who have experience. (I am a Christian, by the way.)

I've never noticed a LDS person on the boards, and I tend to pay attention. I guess we'll see what happens, but you might want to go seek out a LDS forum. I have a decent knowledge of Mormonism because I'm interested in religion and did a research project in college on it (as in, I went to Utah and did research). But I can't answer the personal touch questions at all.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
LOL I thought this was about Learning Disability Students/Morons. I'm sorry. Continue. *exit*

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
LOL I thought this was about Learning Disability Students/Morons. I'm sorry. Continue. *exit*

I thought it said "LSD" and I was like SCORE!

But then I read some more and I was like "awww" :(

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
In for the LSD

In all honesty, I appreciate your concern and interest in LDS/Mormons.

Sadly I'm not very knowledgeable on religion and even more sadly not even curious :sad:

LindseyLadybug

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've never noticed a LDS person on the boards, and I tend to pay attention. I guess we'll see what happens, but you might want to go seek out a LDS forum. I have a decent knowledge of Mormonism because I'm interested in religion and did a research project in college on it (as in, I went to Utah and did research). But I can't answer the personal touch questions at all.

Oh, I see. Well, if you could tell me what you do know from research, that would be interesting. If you don't want to post it on here, you can message me.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
In for the LSD

In all honesty, I appreciate your concern and interest in LDS/Mormons.

Have you ever seen a Mormon on LSD?

But in all seriousness, OP. Why don't you contact local Mormon church. They'd be more than happy to tell you exactly what they are all about. After all, missionary work and conversions is a very important part of their religion.

LindseyLadybug

MBTI Type
INFJ
I guess I wasn't clear. I'm not interested in converting, just learning about it. Perhaps this thread should be deleted if there are no LDS on here.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I have been in a Mormon temple before it was consecrated. There's a lot of white and beige, and there are many fancy sofas. There's a room with parallel mirrors; if I remember correctly, it was the bridal preparation room, and the mirrors remind the bride that she will be sealed to this man for all time and eternity. There's also a room with a pool and some ox statues (I think) where baptisms are performed, including baptisms-by-proxy for the dead.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I have been in a Mormon temple before it was consecrated. There's a lot of white and beige, and there are many fancy sofas.

Too true! I grew up in a heavily Mormon part of the country (Boise, Idaho), and when I was hmm... 12-ish they had tours through the pre-consecrated temple there too - it was pretty much just like Eileen's description... LOTS of beige and, particularly, white.

I'd take Jeffster's suggestion and visit the official web site. You could visit a local church too, but that's almost certainly going to put you on the "potential new member" list, and it sounds like you're not really looking for that.

MJ_

MBTI Type
INFj
One interesting resource I've found is exmormon.org. It is a community of people interested in questioning/leaving the church. The site is formally known as 'Recovery from Mormonism', and it is definately not neutral. On the other hand, there are a lot of personal accounts regarding how church doctrine is taught to the average person (that is questioning/ has left), the difficulty some people have in leaving, and how the cultural aspects of the faith affect people's lives.

Last edited:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't believe many LDS/Mormons are that into godless MBTI psychology, but I'd love to ask them a few questions.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just felt like telling you all that I first thought this thread was titled "question for LSD morons". That would have been very different.

Silence11

MBTI Type
INFP
I hope this is the correct place to ask this question. I have always been curious about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and I was wondering if there were any LDS on here who could tell me more about it and how much of your faith is part of your daily life.

Sorry Lindsey, I just now discovered this thread. I am LDS and I'll try to answer your questions. I grew up as an only child in a part member family (my mother is not LDS) and I became really active in the church about 12 years ago (I'm 29yrs old).

Faith is a part of my daily life in that it give me the desire to be better person today than I was yesterday, and that effects all aspects of my life constantly. It also gives me a sense of gratitude to God for everything that I have become, because He is the one that I owe my life to. That's not to say that I've become someone great or inherently special, but I've seen myself improve from year to year, and that drive for improvement comes from my faith... from the belief that my purpose here is to strive to be a Christ-like individual.

What are the temples like?

I think Eileen's earlier description was accurate. The only thing that I would add is that it's very peaceful.

What things (beliefs, things you wear, practices, etc) set you apart as LDS?

Where to begin... I hear Mormons are pretty strange. If I was to narrow it all down to one thing though, I'd say that it's the belief that the church of Christ was represented by prophets in addition to those in the Bible and that the church continues to be represented by prophets today like in Biblical times. I think most everything else that separates the LDS from traditional Christianity is rooted in this concept.

Do you think your personality type affects your faith?

I wasn't 100% clear on what you were asking here, but I'll give my best answer: I think that faith is a universal principle. Everyone has faith in something, whether it be of a religious nature or not, or whether it's even true or not. What a person chooses to have faith in isn't a product of their personality type imo. There are certainly many LDS personalities. If you have any other questions, I hope you won't hesitate to ask.

I don't believe many LDS/Mormons are that into godless MBTI psychology, but I'd love to ask them a few questions.

MBTI psychology is godless? Dang it! NOW I find out...

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Mormons? lots of jokes fly around, but I think they're probably the nicest group of people you could run across. They seem very strict, yet are never over-bearing about their faith. Humility is a virtue plz

Jwill

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm Mormon, too, so I thought I'd chime in...

About the "personality type affecting faith thing," that's hard to say. I'm an NT, and I think the idea of faith is a difficult concept for NTs to understand. In our church, feelings are very, very important. Feeling the spirit (as a member of the godhead) is also really important. As a child, this was difficult for me. I was completely unaware of my feelings because I lived so much in my own head. As I grew older, though, I became more in touch with my emotional side (not a whole lot, but I'm more balanced out now).

I think being a mormon has really helped me grow personality-wise. I used to be pretty pessimistic (I am an INTJ, after all), but optimism and hope are a central part to the LDS belief system. I started trying to be more hopeful in the last few years, and I'm really much happier for it.

As for Mormonism being strict, well, I think that's somewhat true. I think Mormons aren't wishy-washy in what they believe (not that everyone else is). It's just that, we believe you should live your religion. I think that, the point of religion for me is to improve myself. "Why be religious if it doesn't make you a better person?" is my thought process. Mormonism encourages you to take all aspects of your life and focus them on Jesus Christ, self-improvement, love, and understanding.

As a rational person, I see coffee, tea, and alcohol as unhealthy things, so I'm grateful that Mormonism kind of gives me an excuse not to do those things. I think if I ever stopped being a Mormon, I would still follow the Mormon "health" guidelines because I think they're a good idea. Of course, that isn't to say that some Mormons don't follow those guidelines... I know plenty of us who don't.

So there you have it. Being religious kind of went against my grain as a child, but it really helped to round out my character as an adult by teaching me the value of being optimistic and having emotional responses.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't know a lot about a lot about LDS/Mormons, but some Mormons/Elders did come to my house the other day. They were super nice and strangely sexy, and i wanted to invite them in for drinks, but i wasn't sure if Mormons were down with that. They also seemed very open to criticism of their faith, and listened to me very closely when i told them what i do and do not believe.

I wanted to close the door in their faces when they first showed up, but i'm far too nice, and i know they are just trying to spread their faith, they mean no harm.

they left me a bible though, i'm not religious,at all, but it has been very interesting to read.