24 64.86%
  • Nay.

13 35.14%
123 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Default Moral relativism.

Moral relativism gets a bad rep, but let's take a look on what it actually means:

In philosophy moral relativism is the position that moral or ethical propositions do not reflect objective and/or universal moral truths, but instead make claims relative to social, cultural, historical or personal circumstances.

Now this stance is perfectly logical and reflects the reality of morals and ethics, because morals are in fact relative to social, cultural, historical and personal circumstances.

Unless you believe in God given morals and ethical standards, I don't see a strong argument in favor of the natural rights theory. Some proponents of the theory state that human nature is proof of the existence of these rights, and they seem to confuse what they think ought to be with what actually exists. This is known as the Is-ought problem.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Yeah, anything with "relativism" in its title gets a bad rep. I tend to agree with the idea, though, even if I haven't explored it in great depth. It seems intuitively true to me.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Objectively it's relative, but realistically, we are a species with certain biological limitations and patterns of behavior, and as such, there are going to be universal codes which are beneficial when followed, such as the incest taboo and laws against murder. But I still voted relativism.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yeah, anything with "relativism" in its title gets a bad rep. I tend to agree with the idea, though, even if I haven't explored it in great depth. It seems intuitively true to me.
    Yeah, I think when people hear the term, they tend to think the moral relativist is someone who has no morals, just because they think they're relative.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah, I think when people hear the term, they tend to think the moral relativist someone has no morals, just because they think they're relative.
    Yes, and similarly when someone declares religious agnosticism.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Objectively it's relative, but realistically, we are a species with certain biological limitations and patterns of behavior, and as such, there are going to be universal codes which are beneficial when followed, such as the incest taboo and laws against murder. But I still voted relativism.
    And patterns and trends are just that... patterns and trends.

Sure there are some nice codes that would do society good to live by.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Moral relativism gets a bad rep, but let's take a look on what it actually means:

In philosophy moral relativism is the position that moral or ethical propositions do not reflect objective and/or universal moral truths, but instead make claims relative to social, cultural, historical or personal circumstances.

Now this stance is perfectly logical and reflects the reality of morals and ethics, because morals are in fact relative to social, cultural, historical and personal circumstances.

Unless you believe in God given morals and ethical standards, I don't see a strong argument in favor of the natural rights theory. Some proponents of the theory state that human nature is proof of the existence of these rights, and they seem to confuse what they think ought to be with what actually exists. This is known as the Is-ought problem.
    How does belief in God render an argument in favor of moral absolutism tenable?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    How does belief in God render an argument in favor of moral absolutism tenable?
    Because we can't disprove the existence of their God, and their theory of moral absolutism resides within their theory of the existence of God.

ThatGirl

Every moral is reletive, but are there any underlyning moral constants that should be universally recognized in a non cult manner?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Every moral is reletive, but are there any underlyning moral constants that should be universally recognized in a non cult manner?
    I think, as someone mentioned, the only code of behavior that's universally taboo-ed is mother-son incest. Learned that in cultural anthropology!

Otherwise, I think what counts as "moral" changes drastically with time and culture.