• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Desire: Should we rise above it or embrace it?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
On the one hand Eastern philosophies tell us that desire is the source of pain and suffering, I think they have a point. But on the other hand, desire can cause us to not only long and crave things, but it motivates us to acquire these things we want, and I think this drive is key to a person achieving some of the happiest moments in their lives.

What do you all think about the issue?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
nothing was ever accomplished from contentment.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
nothing was ever accomplished from contentment.

That's a nice succinct way of putting it.

But, if it's true that "wanting things" is the cause of all pain and suffering and emptiness... how important is accomplishment?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
That's a nice succinct way of putting it.

But, if it's true that "wanting things" is the cause of all pain and suffering and emptiness... how important is accomplishment?
You can be wise enough to only want the most important things.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you have to feel the pain to want the pleasure

GinKuusouka

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that it's all about balance. Where's the chance to grow if we don't give in to our desires sometimes? Though giving in to them overly much can be just as unhealthy as not giving in at all. We're here to live and learn. So live and learn.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think they absolutely do...but that's their path
everyone's is different and equally important

LucrativeSid

Enlightenment begins with a desire to achieve it, but what does it end with? Not very many of us know the answer to that. I, personally, am a fan of desire, and living the life of a Buddhist seems very undesirable to me.

A lot of people claim to know the answer to finding happiness, joy, or whatever ultimate good they believe in, and Buddhists, or those that adhere to Eastern philosophies, only make up a fraction of them. Yet everything that all of them claim to know will only be condensed to pondering material for me. My life is my own and I've got to find my own way, as they all have. If this means that I'll just be born again and again until I get it right, so be it. Until then, if it ever happens, I'm very happy with desire.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Embrace it, reasonably. I rarely desire anything strongly. When I do, I go for it.

cherchair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Embrace it, reasonably. I rarely desire anything strongly. When I do, I go for it.

So sorry to hear that. Strong desire, unreasonable or otherwise, is a big part of what makes life worth living, IMO. And, combined with a great deal of determination ad self-discipline, I almost always realize my desires. I would be lost without desire--and undoubtedly would've accomplished little.

Mole

Permabanned
The point of desire, like Capitalism, is not to understand it but to change it.

And it is only recently, and only in developed countries, usually the West, that we have been free to follow our desires.

In fact it is commonplace to say, we are free to do as we desire as long as we harm no one else.

But there are desires and desires, and some desires are more desirable than others.

Many of our desires are shaped by our childhood; and many are the result of ignorance; and many the desires of the herd we just pick up.

So we need an education of desire. We need, for instance, to know the hierarchy of desire.

But most of all, we need to know what is best to desire. What is the best civilization has to desire?

But first it is important to know oneself - to know what one presently desires. So that we know in which direction we desire to go. So we are not limited by our present desires, most of which we have accumulated by accident. And we are able to desire the very best there is.

But changing desire is one of the most difficult things to do, and the most rewarding.

I think it was Margaret Mead who said, "It is easier to change your religion than to change your diet".

And we desire breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. So we have the perfect opportunity to change our appetite, our desire for food.

But we are all fundamentalists and conservatives when it comes to our appetite.

So our desire rules us. We do not command our desires.

Is this desirable?

wolfy

awsm
To desire not to desire is also a desire. So how do we escape from desire?
Maybe the only escape is to sort through the wheat from the chaff.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
We should rise above it when we desire something out of our reach (which includes anything that will damage us greatly), and embrace it when we desire something that we can reasonably have.

But sometimes I wonder if the most advanced Buddhist monks meditating on top of a mountain lead the most content and happiest of lives.

Have you ever tried meditating - or simply being - completely alone (with other people the feeling is slightly different) on top of a mountain? It's an awesome feeling. I've rarely felt as happy as in those moments. That type of life is not easily accessed nowadays, you need a lot of backup resources in order not to starve.

Mole

Permabanned
To desire not to desire is also a desire. So how do we escape from desire?
Maybe the only escape is to sort through the wheat from the chaff.

Yeah, go for the wheat.

Discriminate between the wheat and the chaff. Be discriminatory.

As we perceive by making distinctions, it might be said, we perceive by making discriminations.

So what we see is determined by how we discriminate.

The vulgar only see what is vulgar.

While the discriminatory see what is true and beautiful.

Of course the vulgar will screech at you, "Don't be judgemental!".

But I tell you, "Make fine and discriminating judgements". And the finer and more discriminating, the broader will be your horizons and the more you will see.

Discrimination is like magic - the more you discriminate, the more you get.

Discrimination is a true magic pudding.

cherchair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Desire: Should we rise above it or embrace it?

Maybe because it's hard for me to imagine strong desire as a rare thing in my life. But maybe my life would be more peaceful if desire were a little more rare, especially when I desire things out of my reach (ex: the desire to run, hike, rock climb, ski, etc.). Nevertheless, I think that unrealized (unrelizable?) desire was the impetus to remain active in other ways once I accepted that the other was out of reach. I don't think I'm explaining this very well.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
That type of life is not easily accessed nowadays, you need a lot of backup resources in order not to starve.

What do you mean? Not starving in previous eras required much more intensive, time consuming, and (for most) unsatisfying labor. In the modern era you have a lot more free time available in which to meditate alone (if that's your thing).