User Tag List

123 Last

Default is it possible to be a peaceful muslim?

I am no big fan of christianity, or any other religion for that matter

however, the Jesus Christ, real or imagined, which christians place as their ultimate guide, was not a violent man. He turned over some merchants tables and cursed a fig tree, that's about it. Therefore, I think it's possible for a true christian to be peaceful and tolerant.

Considering that Mohammed was a military leader who converted and subordinated tribes by force and imposed taxes and discriminatory laws against non-muslims and promoted the destruction or conversion of non-muslim societies, and that he is Gods foremost prophet on earth according to Muslims and one whose actions are beyond reproach, is it possible to be peaceful and tolerant and be a true muslim?
    dead man talking

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Qui Parla View Post
    I am no big fan of christianity, or any other religion for that matter

however, the Jesus Christ, real or imagined, which christians place as their ultimate guide, was not a violent man. He turned over some merchants tables and cursed a fig tree, that's about it. Therefore, I think it's possible for a true christian to be peaceful and tolerant.

Considering that Mohammed was a military leader who converted and subordinated tribes by force and imposed taxes and discriminatory laws against non-muslims and promoted the destruction or conversion of non-muslim societies, and that he is Gods foremost prophet on earth according to Muslims and one whose actions are beyond reproach, is it possible to be peaceful and tolerant and be a true muslim?
    IMHO, I think the odds of being a peaceful Muslim are higher if you are a Sufi.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by sdalek View Post
    IMHO, I think the odds of being a peaceful Muslim are higher if you are a Sufi.
    There's an argument that Sufism predates Islam....
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

East Asia has lots of Muslims and does not seem to have the unrest the Middle East has, so I think, yes it is possible to be a peaceful Muslim.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    East Asia has lots of Muslims and does not seem to have the unrest the Middle East has, so I think, yes it is possible to be a peaceful Muslim.
    but 1.) are they being true to their religion and 2.) are their beliefs compatible with people who don't share their beliefs, ie if confronted with non-islamic states and people, do they respect those people's and state's absolute equality to muslim people and states?
    dead man talking

MBTI
    type

Could be the influence of Hinduism / Buddhism and the lower prevalence of Christianity and Judaism?

Not like Christians and Muslims have a smooth history....
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

but 1.) are they being true to their religion and 2.) are their beliefs compatible with people who don't share their beliefs, ie if confronted with non-islamic states and people, do they respect those people's and state's absolute equality to muslim people and states?
    1.) I guess I don't think it's my right to determine who is and is not being true to their religion. I mean, by that standard, non-fundamentalist Christians are not being true to their religion and I don't really buy that.

2.) I don't know. I will let those more interested in the subject than I am enlighten me.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    1.) I guess I don't think it's my right to determine who is and is not being true to their religion. I mean, by that standard, non-fundamentalist Christians are not being true to their religion and I don't really buy that.

2.) I don't know. I will let those more interested in the subject than I am enlighten me.
    I think what's important is not letter to letter adherence, but adherence to the message. the message of Jesus christ was not the same as the message of Mohammed. Jesus Christ was not a soldier or an empire builder.
    dead man talking

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I think what's important is not letter to letter adherence, but adherence to the message. the message of Jesus christ was not the same as the message of Mohammed. Jesus Christ was not a soldier or an empire builder.
    There are peaceful Jews. Their patriarchs/heroes/founders were not particularly peaceful, nor is the Hebrew G-d.
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Yes, of course. Islamism, not Islam, makes today's headlines. An exegesis of Islamism, as derived from the manifestos of men like Sayyid Qutb, Sayyid Mawdudi and Hassan al-Banna, will reveal fascism; nothing more.