User Tag List

First 456

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    How can one look at the history of the world and legitimately find Islam inherently more violent that any other religion or philosophy? Without getting into a lecture about who invaded who and when and such, it simply comes down to the leaders of any given idea, how they interpret and teach it.

Reality dictates nothing is inherently anything.

The same way most Christian leaders believe those above cited verses aren't violent (regardless of what I personally think). The same way most Christians don't literally believe there needs to be a holy war in Israel to hasten the 2nd coming (Despite what some Christian Fundamentalist think). The same way Christians no longer condone slavery although I can cite plenty of Jesus quotes that clearly do. (Slaves are ok as long as you're a kind master)The same way between the hundreds of different sects of Christianity there are vast differences in practice and interpretation.

An idea is how you use it.
    I never asked if you thought it was more violent, just that if you thought it was violent. I don't know much about it, but I don't think its general message is one of violence, as much I don't think Christianity's is.

MBTI
    IsTP

Blah Blah Blah

Reality dictates nothing is inherently anything.

Blah blah blah

An idea is how you use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I never asked if you thought it was more violent, just that if you thought it was violent. I don't know much about it, but I don't think its general message is one of violence, as much I don't think Christianity's is.
    Short version since you don't feel like reading any more.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Short version since you don't feel like reading any more.
    Oops! Yeah, I missed that. I understand your perspective.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Of course it is possible to be a peaceful Muslim, just like it's possible to be a peaceful Christian, Jew, etc. All of those religions specifically incite violence various times, but not by definition are their followers going to be violent.

Now a more nuanced question is whether the major organized religions tend to incite and justify violence. I would say that historically, they do, but this is at the serive of political and material interests more than of theology.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    INTP

Pure interpretation.
    Which is made easier by the absence of a specific interpretation methodology and the sheer multitude of conflicting passages; Islam contains less internal inconsistency and a dominant interpretation methodology in which the most recent passages take precedence over earlier ones (guess when most of the unpleasant passages originated?). Its certainly possible to be a peaceful Muslim (most are), and its even possible to be a liberal Muslim; its just relatively more difficult to overcome cognitive dissonance while doing so.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Which is made easier by the absence of a specific interpretation methodology and the sheer multitude of conflicting passages; Islam contains less internal inconsistency and a dominant interpretation methodology in which the most recent passages take precedence over earlier ones (guess when most of the unpleasant passages originated?). Its certainly possible to be a peaceful Muslim (most are), and its even possible to be a liberal Muslim; its just relatively more difficult to overcome cognitive dissonance while doing so.
    Correct. Well done.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

All that is completely abstract though if it can't be backed up historically that the texts of the Koran have had a more violent effect on societies than other texts. All it would prove if true is a very small difference in scale on a purely theological level between religions which are already so inherently contradictory that it becomes pointless to measure it anyway.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Qui Parla View Post
    I am no big fan of christianity, or any other religion for that matter

however, the Jesus Christ, real or imagined, which christians place as their ultimate guide, was not a violent man. He turned over some merchants tables and cursed a fig tree, that's about it. Therefore, I think it's possible for a true christian to be peaceful and tolerant.

Considering that Mohammed was a military leader who converted and subordinated tribes by force and imposed taxes and discriminatory laws against non-muslims and promoted the destruction or conversion of non-muslim societies, and that he is Gods foremost prophet on earth according to Muslims and one whose actions are beyond reproach, is it possible to be peaceful and tolerant and be a true muslim?
    No one knows what Jesus and Mohammad did when they were not being lusted after by their biographers.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Is it possible to be a white Republican?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?