User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Yes, it is possible to be a peaceful muslim. A higher percentage of peaceful muslims exists in areas with a culture that does not value religious warfare, and where the religious leaders do not preach violence.

(The United states currently has had one violent event related to religious violence, which if I remember right was carried out more by immigrants than by homegrown muslims and converts. East Asian countries with muslims have had problems here and there, but many of them have come about in areas where large groupsof both muslims and non-muslims exist in the country (Philippines, Thailand), and may be hard to separate from any sort of conflict between multiple religious groups. Malaysia and Bangladesh are not known for religious violence, though that may just be from missing information on my part. Similar problems also exist in parts of Africa, but the religious element may be hard to separate from other multi-group fighting.)

3. Suicide as a sex-substitute? Where are the exploding Catholic priests? Vans with gas cylinders driven by Carmelite nuns? Buddhist monks with box-cutters boarding airplanes?
    The full argument was something along the lines of: In areas with Polygyny, some males will have trouble finding females for themselves (Which is a pretty bad sounding way to say it, but to continue). However, by being offered females from suicide bombings, they now have an opportunity for females if they carry out a bombing.

Since Catholic priests and nuns, buddhist monks, and any other equivalents in other religious choose to give up females (Or males, for nuns), rather than being outcompeted for them, they will have less of a reason to want to do something just to get some. In addition, since those religious don't offer virgins as an afterlife reward for violent martyrs, there is no reward for carrying out bombings.

I would still argue the polygamy arguments, for the reason you mentioned earlier about it becoming less common. It does make sense that polygamy in early times, pus the virgin rewards, would have built up a warrior/death tradition that currently motivates modern day people, but that would just have the same effect as any other type of warrior/martyr tradition.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Of course it's possible to be a peaceful Muslim.
    Nearly all of these religious texts contradict themselves, and provide support for both peace and war. It's up to the practitioner to pick which one.

I might be splitting hairs here, but you can't really say that Mohammed was a military leader. He was a preacher that knew how to enlist.
    Now, Khalid Ibn Al-Walid, aka "The Sword of Allah", really kicked-ass.
    Sure, Mohammed converted that guy, and let him do his stuff, but that only really makes him an accessory to the crime, no?
    Last edited by Magic Poriferan; 11-20-2007 at 03:15 PM. Reason: A few missing characters
    Go to sleep, iguana.

figsfiggyfigs

I'm muslim, I'm peaceful, and respect peoples own beliefs. : )

Oberon

Yes, it's possible, people have done it since Mohammed was alive.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Correct.

What many fail to realize is that "al-Qaeda" and "The Taliban" are not groups whose ideology are reflective of "true Islam."

However "al-Qaeda" and "The Taliban" who integrated their fundamentalist and violent views into core beliefs of Islam, to create nice sects of "Radical Islam."

I grew up with an Egyptian family and an Iranian family as neighbors of mine, and we were all very close, very good friends. In neither home was I ever subjected to radical/violent beliefs, only good company and platter after platter of Baklava, bowls of Tabouli, and plates of stuffed grape leaves. Man, those were the days!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont think its islam, its the cultural context, I mean go long enough back along the time line and you could be asking is it possible to be a peaceful RC or protestant depending on the culture and context.

In RC europe at the time of the reformation protestantism and fomenting rebellion and terror when hand in hand, even Luther gave his backing to the authorities in putting down the peasant wars in Germany, in the UK there's a long history of anti-catholicism, although the more intellectual opponents of "papism" suggest its only "political catholicism" which was ever their enemy (mind you they still manage to tolerate the union between Church and State of the protestant faith fairly well).

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Not Mohammed, though.

But yes, it's obviously possible and frequent. I have had a number of good Muslim friends and have yet to meet a radical Islamic fundamentalist!

Religion has always been a convenient rationalization for a conflict that must happen for other reasons.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Yes, it is possible to be a peaceful muslim if all the world is muslim.

In the meantime jihad must be waged against dhimmi and infidels until they are converted or killed of subjugated to totalitarian Islam.

MBTI
    IsTP

The premise of the OP is utterly flawed. A cursory reading of the Bible or even a glimmer of knowledge of the history Christianity shows his assumptions of Christianity as inherently peaceful is simply off base.

And once again, if Victor repeats it enough times it must be true.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    The premise of the OP is utterly flawed. A cursory reading of the Bible or even a glimmer of knowledge of the history Christianity shows his assumptions of Christianity as inherently peaceful is simply off base.

And once again, if Victor repeats it enough times it must be true.
    You'll notice that the OP specifically only mentioned Jesus, and how he preached general pacifism and there wasn't anything violent about him. Contrast this image with the one of Mohammed provided by the OP, and one can see where the OP is coming from. I don't know if the OP's depiction of Mohammed is accurate or not though.

Christianity does indeed have a bloody history, but this is more the result of the Church than of the faith.