User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    I liked the appeal to primitive emotions. A highly effective Rhetorical non-sequitur which very effectively bypasses the logic centres of the brain in susceptible targets.
    Emotions are of course not the slightest bit primitive. Our emotions have evolved over the millenia and are exquisitely sophisticated.

And our emotions make our entire social life possible.

While logic has important but limited applications. Probably the most important use of logic is in the programming of computers.

Logic is important in the ordering of things.

But we are living, feeling persons. We are not things.

But we live in the Age of Things and so we are tempted to turn people into things as the Germans did in Auschwitz and the Japanese did in Unit 731.

So just as logic is appropriate for things, emotion is appropriate for living, breathing people like you and I.

In fact it is a perversion to apply logic to persons.

So let us live and swim in our emotions as we swim in the sea - free.

Are you persuaded yet?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Are you sure about that? I thought he seemed pretty damm good at pleasing certain people, particularly those who manage to maintain an elevated view of their own intelligence in the absence of much developement of their faculties for crritical thinking...
    Yes, but when I said people I meant people in general, not smartypants people. Still fits with INTP.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Believe me, my parents were doing no persuading on that front.
    Ah, you persuaded them yourself.

You are a born Rhetorician.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Emotions are of course not the slightest bit primitive. Our emotions have evolved over the millenia and are exquisitely sophisticated.

While logic has important but limited applications. Probably the most important use of logic is in the programming of computers.

But we live in the Age of Things and so we are tempted to turn people into things as the Germans did in Auschwitz and the Japanese did in Unit 731.

So just as logic is appropriate for things, emotion is appropriate for living, breathing people like you and I.

Are you persuaded?
    No. If you will recall, persuasion by Aristotle's model consists of ethos, pathos, AND logos. Though the "sack full of quarters" method, wherein one is repeatedly hit over the head with the same message until they're persuaded, is effective without it.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Are you persuaded yet?
    I agree aside from the bolded statement. Logic is a tool, and people can be disassembled with logic, in order to get a closer look. You may have philosophical objection to psychological analysis, but I don't. I'm not talking about Freud, he was a hack.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Emotions are of course not the slightest bit primitive.
    Indeed

But that doesn't mean I am persuaded by smartypants implications regarding my level of humanity and connectedness with the rest of such.

good try though

MBTI
    INTJ

Ok, I know I'm late for the party here, but there is no way in hell Victor is an INTP.

(i know, i know, different thread)

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Ok, I know I'm late for the party here, but there is no way in hell Victor is an INTP.

(i know, i know, different thread)
    Victor doesn't claim to be INTP. I can't type him at all, which means he's probably more intelligent than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    No. If you will recall, persuasion by Aristotle's model consists of ethos, pathos, AND logos. Though the "sack full of quarters" method, wherein one is repeatedly hit over the head with the same message until they're persuaded, is effective without it.
    I applied logos to getting a date. I explained all the advantages of dating me. And all the disadvantages of not dating me. I explained it was perfectly logical for her to date me. And we would have a perfectly logical date.

She kinda looked embarrassed, and twisted her handkerchief, she cast her eyes down and said, "It's not you personally, its just that I never date engineers".

"But what about Dilbert?", I asked, "Would you date Dilbert, he's an engineer?".

"Quite", she said.

I didn't know quite what she meant, but I had to go to dinner alone with only logos for company.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Victor doesn't claim to be INTP. I can't type him at all, which means he's probably more intelligent than I am.
    Well what's that stuff under his avatar then?

Type: INTP