User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 244

  1. #31
    Reason vs Being ragashree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    I despise all obnoxious, arrogant, overbearing twats.



    You forgot to mention his attention seeking tendencies though. I don't think the need for attention is something INTP's tend to suffer from much, but dear Dickie D is a media slut. I don't think there's any level to which he won't stoop to get his second-rate opinions out there in people's faces, and he seems to have built a pretty good network of media contacts to allow him to do so. I personally do all kinds of private "musing" on all kinds of subjects, but I don't expect the entire world to want to hear about it, let alone take steps to ensure that it will. I would say Dawkins is either ENTJ or INTJ. Most likely INTJ, but I can see arguments both way so I haven't made up my own mind yet.

    I don't think you need to resign your INTP status just yet anyway

  2. #32
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Are you serious? No one has weird or bizarre beliefs as a result of reading fantasy books.
    Think this through.


    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post

    Majority of people were always imbued with some bizzare beliefs. It's part of the human nature.

    If anything, I think have made giant leaps in the 20th century, and are continuing to do so, but there will always be a following for superstition and "black arts".
    Once again I agree with you to some degree.
    But I think that modern technology(last 20 years) allows spreading of nonsense around the world too fast for comfort and I think that it can be very hard to avoid it today.

  3. #33
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Think this through.




    Once again I agree with you to some degree.
    But I think that modern technology(last 20 years) allows spreading of nonsense around the world too fast for comfort and I think that it can be very hard to avoid it today.
    Oh now you are just being a pessimist.

    The technology also allows for the spread of rational ideas and minimizes the chances of a person being "kept in the dark".

    At least in our times a person has a choice of being ignorant or not.

  4. #34
    Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    697

    Default






    I've always had a distaste for whatever Dawkins has said. He just seems like a doofus.

    He takes rationality so far that it becomes caricatured and irrational, lol.

  5. #35
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    I was just hoping that there was a more objective and less obnoxious way for you to criticism Mr. Dawkins.

    But if that's all you have . . . then we'll roll with it.
    That's all I got. I could pick apart his biased, incendiary fluff till the cows come home, but I'd rather propagate my own .

    Many of his arguments are too weak to even consider for serious debate - as the foregoing demonstrates.

    Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post

    You forgot to mention his attention seeking tendencies though. I don't think the need for attention is something INTP's tend to suffer from much, but dear Dickie D is a media slut. I don't think there's any level to which he won't stoop to get his second-rate opinions out there in people's faces, and he seems to have built a pretty good network of media contacts to allow him to do so. I personally do all kinds of private "musing" on all kinds of subjects, but I don't expect the entire world to want to hear about it, let alone take steps to ensure that it will. I would say Dawkins is either ENTJ or INTJ. Most likely INTJ, but I can see arguments both way so I haven't made up my own mind yet.
    True. I think he is an INTJ as well. (I wasn't serious about the F).

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    But I think that modern technology(last 20 years) allows spreading of nonsense around the world too fast for comfort and I think that it can be very hard to avoid it today.
    Like your posts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    The technology also allows for the spread of rational ideas and minimizes the chances of a person being "kept in the dark".

    At least in our times a person has a choice of being ignorant or not.
    Yeah. Those book things never really caught on, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  6. #36
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Oh now you are just being a pessimist.

    The technology also allows for the spread of rational ideas and minimizes the chances of a person being "kept in the dark".

    At least in our times a person has a choice of being ignorant or not.

    No, I think that I am a realist. This technology can be used on both ways but I think that negative is more present today.


    Have you ever heard for something called "Social pressure"?

  7. #37
    Senior Member bronte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    infp
    Posts
    168

    Default

    The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge.
    Albert Einstein
    The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.
    Albert Einstein
    We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.
    Albert Einstein
    When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking.
    Albert Einstein
    Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.
    Albert Einstein


    Seems like Mr Einstein didnt have a problem with fantasy and imagination - I enjoyed Dawkins God Delusion but I wouldnt want to live in Richard Dawkins world where the randomisd control trial would be the only way of verifying the value of anything!

    I know a few INTps who's favourite reading matter is fantasy - I worked with an INTP senior researcher who read and re-read Tolkien and Pratchett - they helped him to escape. Dawkins I suppose would see the need to escape as a weakness.

    Harry Potter was a wonderful escapist phenomena which meant that a lot of kids got into reading. Hooray for that.

    Dawkins seems to believe that science can answer all of the world's problems - I don't think it can

    I'm off now to escape with Susan Hill's latest ghost story 'The man in the picture' and although I do know its not real (!) I will still find it scary enough to look over my shoulder occassionally - how irrational of me!!!
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Maya Angelou

  8. #38
    Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    697

    Default

    Oh, and FYI, Harry Potter was the book that got me reading in the first place :P. I just remembered that when reading bronte's post. It was in the seventh grade I believe.

  9. #39
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    At least they did the right thing in Virginia where they burnt the Harry Potter books.

  10. #40
    Senior Member V Profane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Did we read the same article?
    Precisely. Utterly, completely, fatuous excuse for sniping at public atheist (enemy) number one.
    "I'm being schooled in the class of V Profane. And it's a sad lesson." - PinkPiranha

Similar Threads

  1. Type Mike Using Any System based off of Quote and Picture
    By Mal12345 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-11-2017, 10:35 PM
  2. "Root of All Evil?" doco by Richard Dawkins
    By darlets in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-29-2015, 08:39 AM
  3. Who else disapproves of Uberfuhrer's previous new avatar?
    By Athenian200 in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 11:52 AM
  4. The Enemies of Reason by Richard Dawkins
    By Sahara in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 12:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO