User Tag List

First 122021222324 Last

Smile Right and Wrong and the Mytho-Poetic

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Are they useful, or harmful?
    This is a very good question which should be asked of anything mytho-poetic.

This question has been asked of the Bible for more than 150 years, leading to a benign form of Chrisianity. However this question has not been asked of the Koran, and we can see the violent results every day in our newspapers.

And just as each one of us is subject to questions of right and wrong, so the mytho-poetic is also suject to questions of right and wrong. And it is right to ask these questions and wrong not to.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Example of a harmful myth: "Jews are traitorous shysters who only care about money, and use the blood of Christian children to make their matzoh"

If it is neither helpful nor harmful, is there any need for judging in the first place?
    I agree with using utility as a yardstick. Myths are a bit like fables: stories with a moral, or a lesson to teach. Does that lesson lead to prejudice, hatred, and fear; or to understanding, tolerance, and compassion?

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Has somebody here already noticed the question of common mythology and how they possibly affect our unconscious side was a central theme of Jung's works?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    GONE

I kinda think imagination and science aren't exclusive. I can see the author's point, what I'm gathering is there is an undercurrent or movement in society to 'keep kids stupid' which is true if you look at how marketing and branding and have taken over the media and the world. Companies want to sell things to you and prime you into easy acceptance of fads and 5 second clips.

At the end of the day though, anything that inspires you or lights up your imagination creates a potential for learning and self-improvement.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    INTp

I didn't catch on to him really disapproving, just pondering the idea. As an atheist Harry Potter fan (I grew up with Harry Potter) I can't find a problem.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by bronte View Post
    but Dawkins has a go at everybody!! He comes across as overwhelmingly arrogant. It is nothing to do with him being an atheist - I share most of his views on religion - but he absolutely refuses to accept anybody else's different view of the world. He is also patronising and frequently rude - not the attributes Id suggest are ideal for a
    Professor of the Public Understanding of Science - a few social graces would go down well as would the ability to listen to others, and develop balance, rather than shout your views from every platform you can get onto.

Science cannot answer all of the world's problems - it has created many of these problems - something Dawkins never mentions - I would have a great deal more respect for him if he did.

Humility is a powerful quality as an educator.
    Nice job with your statement on Richard Dawkins! I treat him (and any other militant atheist) with as much disdain as I would Osama Bin Laden, Jerry Falwell, and all the other militantly religious folks! He's NO DIFFERENT from the Pharisees of Jesus' days, even though he's pushing for a different worldview! God forbid he become UK Prime Minister - he might start a pogrom against all religious people like Hitler did the Jews given the resources!

I think we need more people calling this guy out and giving him a taste of his own medicine! Claiming God doesn't exist is (logically speaking) as much an extra-ordinary claim as proving that God exists and any objective observer knows that the existence/non-existence of God can NEVER be scientifically proven, even though (IMO) the burden of proof IS with both camps! If he claims religious people are "delusional", he should also look at the mirror because he's also delusional if he claims he can "scientifically prove" God doesn't exist!

Besides, I don't believe for one bit there is such thing as cold, unbiased rationality/reasoning - never existed, doesn't exist, and NEVER WILL exist! Hence my refusal to take this attention-whore "militant atheist" seriously! :P

Quote Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
    Nice job with your statement on Richard Dawkins! I treat him (and any other militant atheist) with as much disdain as I would Osama Bin Laden, Jerry Falwell, and all the other militantly religious folks! He's NO DIFFERENT from the Pharisees of Jesus' days, even though he's pushing for a different worldview! God forbid he become UK Prime Minister - he might start a pogrom against all religious people like Hitler did the Jews given the resources!
    Are you serious?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
    God forbid he become UK Prime Minister - he might start a pogrom against all religious people like Hitler did the Jews given the resources!
    I really hope a nutritionist never becomes president - what with all their deriding of fast food, they might start a pogrom against fat people like Hitler if they were given the resources!
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

All I see on either end of this atheist/fundamentalist spectrum nowadays is intolerance on both sides.

Pretentious superiority complexes from atheists and dogmatic self-righteousness from fundamentalists. It's really terrible that each party doesn't realize that most people of either belief system fall somewhere in the middle ground where they understand the others perspective and respect it as their right to believe what they want.

Personally, it would be awesome if everyone went back to that old rule of politics and religion being off-limit topics for strangers to discuss.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

WALMART

Wow. I am quite displeased someone could read those statements and extrapolate such a firm opinion of his intent.