User Tag List

First 111920212223 Last

Banned

Richard Dawkins disapproves of "anti-scientific" literature, like "Harry Potter"
    How 'bout that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Look at who started the thread...a butt-hurt creationist. I don't think I need to explain why he would be motivated to start a thread like this.

Is Peguy really a creationist..? I'll let him speak for himself, but I know that he's Catholic.. I'm not Catholic myself, but I know they don't have an elaborate cosmological system, like evangelicals do. Just to point that out. Those kind of details are always up for debate in Catholic/Orthodox circles (and liberal Protestants). Not every Christian reads or is even commanded to read the bible literally.

That said, I don't dislike Dawkins. He brings up some important questions - and not just the stuff about the "god delusion", but whether religion is beneficial or detrimental or not. I don't agree with his vilification at all, but I think it's important to debate that. I know where his sense of frustration and anger is coming from to a point (there is a lot of nasty shit done in the name of God or Gods), but I also think it's too uncompromising and misdirected.

The one thing I don't like about him is a general complaint that goes for both religious and atheists individuals: I don't like when people think they KNOW the truth about God. That's ridiculous and arrogant. Stuff like that is always going to come down to faith or will imho. And nothing to do with "objective" truth per se. It comes to a point where you make your own truth, as unsatisfying and bad as that sounds to some rationalists. Even some of the most famous atheists would agree with me though (Nietzsche, being one).

MBTI
    infp

This has been done before, it was called Don Quixote.

Smile Songlines

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    This has been done before, it was called Don Quixote.
    Yes, it's the re-enchantment of the literal world.

The literal world burst upon us in 1440 with the invention of the printing press. But it was not until 1605 that the first novel, Don Quixote, was published.

Don Quixote is plagued by the literal minded, just as we are plagued here, who, when they look at a windmill, see a windmill. Who here would be game to mount Rosinante and charge full tilt at a windmill to the laughter of all around them? Who can bear the laughter of the literal minded while they respond to their deep inner self?

So the deep inner self dries up and the world loses its enchantment.

But to re-enchant the world all we need to do is chant. We need to abandon the literal eye and listen to the chant of the world.

Hunter-Gathers enchanted the world with Songlines and the deep chant of the corroberee in the dark night around the flickering fire. Even monks enchanted the world with Gregorian Chant.

But today we believe what we see, not what we hear. We believe the literal truth of the Bible and the Koran. These sacred texts now reach us through the eye rather than the ear.

But the telephone changed everything - lend me your ear, it says, the day of the printing press is over, hear the whisper of my warm muzzle over the Songlines once again.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    How 'bout that.
    Harry potter is scientific as shit, bitches!!! *turns into lark*

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This has an awful lot of truth in it.

And I would add that we are inclined to act out our own cultural myths because they are unconscious.

So our myths work directly on us and bypass the critical mind.

Of course if we start to understand our own cultural myths, we are bringing them into our conscious mind.

And with our myths in our conscious mind, we are able to critique them.

We are able to decide which are good and which are bad; which are helpful and which hinder us; and even which one's we like.

But perhaps it is most dangerous to think that myths are simply untrue.

In fact myths are neither true nor false, rather they provide a context for a whole culture.

So it is wise to learn which myths are driving us, lest they drive us over a cliff.
    So if myths are neither true nor false, how are we to judge them?
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Even after all of this apparent in-fighting about Dawkins' opinions...I would like to point out the obvious:

1) An opinion is just that, an opinion.
    2) Dawkins is like any one of us, a finite human being with weaknesses like we all do.
    3) There's no need to stew over opinions. We can disagree, but need not have to shout them down. Refer to point 1 for the reason
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Thisica View Post
    So if myths are neither true nor false, how are we to judge them?
    Are they useful, or harmful?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Are they useful, or harmful?
    How would a myth be harmful? If we say it is not helpful, does it have to become harmful? Or is it possible to be neither harmful nor helpful?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    How would a myth be harmful? If we say it is not helpful, does it have to become harmful? Or is it possible to be neither harmful nor helpful?
    Example of a harmful myth: "Jews are traitorous shysters who only care about money, and use the blood of Christian children to make their matzoh"

If it is neither helpful nor harmful, is there any need for judging in the first place?