• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Richard Dawkins disapproves of "anti-scientific" literature, like "Harry Potter"

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Never. He's some flava of J. I'd bet my life on it.

Nah, you just haven't met a scientifically militant INTP before.
There are quite a few floating around.

To some degree I agee with you but I think that we are in a "red" zone when it comes to this. More and more people has some "weird" or bizzare beliefs.

Majority of people were always imbued with some bizzare beliefs. It's part of the human nature.

If anything, I think have made giant leaps in the 20th century, and are continuing to do so, but there will always be a following for superstition and "black arts".

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nah, you just haven't met a scientifically militant INTP before.
There are quite a few floating around.
How typically Judgmental of you! You just don't want him in your camp.

If Dawkins is an INTP, I resign.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Are you serious? No one has weird or bizarre beliefs as a result of reading fantasy books.
Uhm, may I? *raises Hand*
Let me quote myself for a Sec ^^°°

I actually know some Persons like that from my Buddies IRL. One actually believes that her future Boyfriend looks like one of those Characters of the Harry Potter Book. She also thinks that Jason (Freddy vs Jason) is real and he looks just like in the Movie. And uhm...well, I dun think it is too healthy. She is actually pretty "psyched" if you ask me.
Then I know this other Girl who seriously believes that the egpytian God Seth is in Love with her and she never took a Boyfriend until now, because "she waits for him".
So, again: I DO see his Point.

But that just for an Input.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You mean, people with strong convictions that are assertive in there advertising of said convictions?

No, I pretty much mean just the obnoxious, arrogant, overbearing, twatish ones.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
No, I pretty much mean just the obnoxious, arrogant, overbearing, twatish ones.
I was just hoping that there was a more objective and less obnoxious way for you to criticism Mr. Dawkins.

But if that's all you have . . . then we'll roll with it.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I despise all obnoxious, arrogant, overbearing twats.

:yes:

You forgot to mention his attention seeking tendencies though. I don't think the need for attention is something INTP's tend to suffer from much, but dear Dickie D is a media slut. I don't think there's any level to which he won't stoop to get his second-rate opinions out there in people's faces, and he seems to have built a pretty good network of media contacts to allow him to do so. I personally do all kinds of private "musing" on all kinds of subjects, but I don't expect the entire world to want to hear about it, let alone take steps to ensure that it will. I would say Dawkins is either ENTJ or INTJ. Most likely INTJ, but I can see arguments both way so I haven't made up my own mind yet.

I don't think you need to resign your INTP status just yet anyway ;)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Are you serious? No one has weird or bizarre beliefs as a result of reading fantasy books.

Think this through.

Majority of people were always imbued with some bizzare beliefs. It's part of the human nature.

If anything, I think have made giant leaps in the 20th century, and are continuing to do so, but there will always be a following for superstition and "black arts".

Once again I agree with you to some degree.
But I think that modern technology(last 20 years) allows spreading of nonsense around the world too fast for comfort and I think that it can be very hard to avoid it today.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Think this through.

Once again I agree with you to some degree.
But I think that modern technology(last 20 years) allows spreading of nonsense around the world too fast for comfort and I think that it can be very hard to avoid it today.

Oh now you are just being a pessimist.

The technology also allows for the spread of rational ideas and minimizes the chances of a person being "kept in the dark".

At least in our times a person has a choice of being ignorant or not.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
:angry::angry::angry:

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

I've always had a distaste for whatever Dawkins has said. He just seems like a doofus.

He takes rationality so far that it becomes caricatured and irrational, lol.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was just hoping that there was a more objective and less obnoxious way for you to criticism Mr. Dawkins.

But if that's all you have . . . then we'll roll with it.
That's all I got. I could pick apart his biased, incendiary fluff till the cows come home, but I'd rather propagate my own ;).

Many of his arguments are too weak to even consider for serious debate - as the foregoing demonstrates.

:yes:
You forgot to mention his attention seeking tendencies though. I don't think the need for attention is something INTP's tend to suffer from much, but dear Dickie D is a media slut. I don't think there's any level to which he won't stoop to get his second-rate opinions out there in people's faces, and he seems to have built a pretty good network of media contacts to allow him to do so. I personally do all kinds of private "musing" on all kinds of subjects, but I don't expect the entire world to want to hear about it, let alone take steps to ensure that it will. I would say Dawkins is either ENTJ or INTJ. Most likely INTJ, but I can see arguments both way so I haven't made up my own mind yet.
True. I think he is an INTJ as well. (I wasn't serious about the F).

Like your posts? ;)

The technology also allows for the spread of rational ideas and minimizes the chances of a person being "kept in the dark".

Yeah. Those book things never really caught on, eh?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Oh now you are just being a pessimist.

No, I think that I am a realist. This technology can be used on both ways but I think that negative is more present today.

Have you ever heard for something called "Social pressure"?

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge.
Albert Einstein
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.
Albert Einstein
We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.
Albert Einstein
When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking.
Albert Einstein
Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.
Albert Einstein

Seems like Mr Einstein didnt have a problem with fantasy and imagination - I enjoyed Dawkins God Delusion but I wouldnt want to live in Richard Dawkins world where the randomisd control trial would be the only way of verifying the value of anything!

I know a few INTps who's favourite reading matter is fantasy - I worked with an INTP senior researcher who read and re-read Tolkien and Pratchett - they helped him to escape. Dawkins I suppose would see the need to escape as a weakness.

Harry Potter was a wonderful escapist phenomena which meant that a lot of kids got into reading. Hooray for that.

Dawkins seems to believe that science can answer all of the world's problems - I don't think it can

I'm off now to escape with Susan Hill's latest ghost story 'The man in the picture' and although I do know its not real (!) I will still find it scary enough to look over my shoulder occassionally - how irrational of me!!!;)

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Oh, and FYI, Harry Potter was the book that got me reading in the first place :p. I just remembered that when reading bronte's post. It was in the seventh grade I believe.

Mole

Permabanned
At least they did the right thing in Virginia where they burnt the Harry Potter books.