User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Peguy, I can't help but note that everything you post on this message board is nothing more than an elaborate take on the "atheists are just as crazy as the religious hardliners, therefore the truth must lie somewhere in the middle" fallacy.
    I think that's rather an oversimplification. The truth often doesn't lie somewhere in the middle. Pieces of it may be scattered hither and yon.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I can't take much of what Dawkins says seriously since I am too repelled by his arrogance to be properly able to consider what he has to say. I have two friends who've met him in person and who have no intention of meeting him again. The first friend is a Christian who interviewed him for the BBC and found it hard to have a proper conversation with him, the second friend is an atheist who was very excited to win a meeting with Richard Dawkins since he is one of his personal heros. During the meeting Dawkins ignored my friend and instead typed on his mobile phone and when my friend asked him to sign a copy of Darwin's "On the origin of species" Dawkins refused because he hadn't written the introduction to this particular edition. I mean seriously, behave less like an asshole and it might actually help you to get your message across.
    Yeah, sounds like grade A asshole there, especially that business about not signing a copy of the book which he'd not introduced, to be truthful I'd have thought he would consider it a privilege or honour because he's so cracked up about Darwin but apparently not.

I used to suspect the same about AC Grayling, in print he seems just as nasty but I've heard a couple of interviews with him for Philosophy Bites in which he appears amiable and respectful without compromising his own deep seated beliefs. At the very least I can respect that without being swayed by what he has to say.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I'm not too worried about Harry Potter, and the anti-witchcraft Christian league hates Harry Potter a lot more than atheists.... but we do have kids believe in a whole lot of supernatural stuff while they are young and impressionable. Tooth fairies, then an Easter bunny, then a Santa Clause, and depending on if you're a Christian or not; the Bible. And kids take this stuff literally at first. Then feel betrayed when they find the truth, or they slowly realize it's a joke.

I wonder what effect that has on the mind as well. Does it make people more likely to believe in the supernatural in adulthood, compared to if they didn't have these harmless fairy tale stories told to them as if literally true while young and before knowing any better.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I'm not too worried about Harry Potter, and the anti-witchcraft Christian league hates Harry Potter a lot more than atheists.... but we do have kids believe in a whole lot of supernatural stuff while they are young and impressionable. Tooth fairies, then an Easter bunny, then a Santa Clause, and depending on if you're a Christian or not; the Bible. And kids take this stuff literally at first. Then feel betrayed when they find the truth, or they slowly realize it's a joke.
    Yeah. Don't forget to throw in Marxism, too... same deal.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Yeah. Don't forget to throw in Marxism, too... same deal.
    Well, at least Obama-Marxism is real. And at your front door!!!

Oberon

Well, at least Obama-Marxism is real. And at your front door!!!
    As if you can swing a dead cat in the US without hitting a church member or two...!

Look, I didn't really want to get into a tit-for-tat match. I only posted by way of saying "I saw what you did there."

I saw what you did there.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Guys you've got to be trolling me with those posts.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    As if you can swing a dead cat in the US without hitting a church member or two...!

Look, I didn't really want to get into a tit-for-tat match. I only posted by way of saying "I saw what you did there."

I saw what you did there.
    I just wanted to say my "Obama-Marxism" line.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Guys you've got to be trolling me with those posts.
    Oberon and I usually do fine.

We're not going to get all ugly and drawn out forever like in certain other political arguments here.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Oberon and I usually do fine.

We're not going to get all ugly and drawn out forever like in certain other political arguments here.
    Nawh I was hinting at what I think Oberon was hinting at too.

The posts I was highlighting where framed as "obvious truths" when I considered them anything but.