User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I applied logos to getting a date. I explained all the advantages of dating me. And all the disadvantages of not dating me. I explained it was perfectly logical for her to date me. And we would have a perfectly logical date.

She kinda looked embarrassed, and twisted her handkerchief, she cast her eyes down and said, "It's not you personally, its just that I never date engineers".

"But what about Dilbert?", I asked, "Would you date Dilbert, he's an engineer?".

"Quite", she said.

I didn't know quite what she meant, but I had to go to dinner alone with only logos for company.
    Yes, that's about right...For post of the month.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Victor doesn't claim to be INTP. I can't type him at all, which means he's probably more intelligent than I am.
    Or, since type is about normal differences among normal people, maybe the difference is in degree of normalcy and not intelligence...
    edcoaching

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Well what's that stuff under his avatar then?

Type: INTP
    He's accepted three typings from other members. Was ESFP for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    Or, since type is about normal differences among normal people, maybe the difference is in degree of normalcy and not intelligence...
    I get what he says more than most here seem to. There's a point to it. By the way, high intelligence is a form of divergence from normalcy.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Just in case anyone still gives a stuff about the original premise of this thread:

Why would Dawkins remotely CARE? Except for reasons of self-publicity?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Just in case anyone still gives a stuff about the original premise of this thread:

Why would Dawkins remotely CARE? Except for reasons of self-publicity?

Strategic error, most likely. It would be my estimation that fantasy-oriented fiction would serve to deteriorate belief in the most prevalent religion if nothing else, and splitting supernatural beliefs in the populace serves to deteriorate the entire concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Ok, I know I'm late for the party here, but there is no way in hell Victor is an INTP.
    So my dear Edgar, how would you type me.

Do take your time and type me

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Strategic error, most likely.
    Maybe, though I think saying something that makes him look like a prize idiot and reduces his credibility to almost everyone except diehard followers is nevertheless a bigger one.

It would be my estimation that fantasy-oriented fiction would serve to deteriorate belief in the most prevalent religion if nothing else, and splitting supernatural beliefs in the populace serves to deteriorate the entire concept.
    The first point, quite likely. The second... I don't know. It depends whether you accept the principle that, as the saying goes: "When people stop believing in God they don't believe in nothing... they believe in anything." The need still seems to be there in a lot of people, regardless of whether they choose to affix it to the holy trinity or feng shui...

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    The first point, quite likely. The second... I don't know. It depends whether you accept the principle that, as the saying goes: "When people stop believing in God they don't believe in nothing... they believe in anything." The need still seems to be there in a lot of people, regardless of whether they choose to affix it to the holy trinity or feng shui...
    The saying seems to hold some water, but consider the following.

To exaggerate the result, let's say everyone comes to their own religious conclusions as opposed to there being one dominant religion in a society. Then religious belief lacks direction, and force, and is less dangerous to the atheist.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

The whole danger of religion is that it can be used in hegemonic ways (to lord over other groups in society that have less power and influence). If it isn't being used that way, then who gives a crap if people believe in it?

Oh, and Victor, that was an amusing story about your date. I'd hope that we all knew how and when to employ ethos, pathos, or logos to the most persuasive effect possible in any given situation. That you clearly didn't is proof of your ineptitude with ethos or pathos. Not of the uselessness of logos with regards to humans in rhetorical situations.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I get what he says more than most here seem to. There's a point to it. By the way, high intelligence is a form of divergence from normalcy.
    Guess I never noticed since all my friends are above average...
    edcoaching