User Tag List

123 Last

Sniffles

Default Mayan Calendar 2012 - the world will not end

In light of the countless sensationalism surronding this issue, I think many here will be interested in this:

The World will Not End

Carlos Barrios was born into a Spanish family on El Altiplano, the highlands of Guatemala. His home was in Huehuetenango, also the dwelling place of the Maya Mam tribe. With other Maya and other indigenous tradition keepers, the Mam carry part of the old ways on Turtle Island (North America). They are keepers of time, authorities on remarkable calendars that are ancient, elegant and relevant.

Mr. Barrios is a historian, an anthropologist and investigator. After studying with traditional elders for 25 years since the age of 19, he has also become a Mayan Ajq'ij, a ceremonial priest and spiritual guide, Eagle Clan.

Years ago, along with his brother, Gerardo, Carlos initiated an investigation into the different Mayan calendars. He studied with many teachers. He says his brother Gerardo interviewed nearly 600 traditional Mayan elders to widen their scope of knowledge.

"Anthropologists visit the temple sites," Mr. Barrios says, "and read the stelas and inscriptions and make up stories about the Maya, but they do not read the signs correctly. Itís just their imagination...Other people write about prophecy in the name of the Maya. They say that the world will end in December 2012. The Mayan elders are angry with this. The world will not end. It will be transformed. The indigenous have the calendars, and know how to accurately interpret it, not others."....
    The Mayan Calendar - The World Will Not End

MBTI
    infp

I've had so many people try to show me Youtubes videos "proving" the world will end on 2012. It's good to see this, cause obviously everything on Youtube is bullshit made in some guy's basement. My understanding in my own personal research was merely that they had ceased to make long-term calenders after that date, but said nothing of the world ending, and that there were some short-term calenders exceeding that date. It's cool to read about it from the source like this...

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Oooh, yeah! The Aquarius-Era! The Reason why maaaany People and religious Groups thought in 2012 the World will go down because of an Apocalypse.

Personally, I dun think so. I mean the World is a Mess, yes. But...uh, I dun really expect a War or even an Apocalypse for then. A Change YES, but not in Form of a "horrible War" or whatever.

That's seriously a good Topic you brought up here, I must say!
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

Sniffles

I also can't stand this BS surronding St. Malachy's prophecies of the Popes, were supposedly the next is the last one before the end of the world. Much of the evidence seems to show they are elaborate 16th century forgeries.

I think that this apocalypse-2012 thing I one of the biggest nonsense of our time.
    What is fascinating to me is that so many people take this as something that will happen for sure.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Hm, I can only talk for myself now but I do believe SOMETHING will change soon, because of the Behaviour of Humanity. I mean uhm...more and more People are being really selfish, egoistic, materialistic etc and People in Need vanish in between. So this is why "I" do believe a Change has to happen soon. It's not really because of the Apocalypse Thing. But it IS funny and interesting how "the Time fits".
    Never really believed in a Apocalypse like in the Bible anyways, even tho I do work with Spirituality-Stuff sometimes.

ESTP? o.O

Sniffles

Oh I certainly believe we're on the verge of a transformation, from one era of history to another. But that's quite different then the actual end of the world. More like the end of an age; which very often people mistake for each other.

Many people thought it was the end of the world when Rome collasped, when in reality the next great stage in history was just beginning.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

The Mayans were brilliant physicists who specialized in astronomy, and thus could be eye-bogglingly accurate when it came to things like calendars. I've toured a lot of their ruins, and studied on their culture, and am nothing short of envious of their abilities in this area.

But the idea that they can predict the end of the world?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Many people thought it was the end of the world when Rome collasped, when in reality the next great stage in history was just beginning.
    Exactly, you say it. I think many People tend to be a liiiiiittle Bit too pessimistic sometimes. Juuust a little.
    I would say we can work tru a lot, if only Every1 helps. I don't mean to say that we are invincible or indestroyable, but I do believe with united Strenght we can fix quite a lot. In the Example of Rome: rebuild the City for Example.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I never believed this "world is going to end on 2012" stuff until I learned that Palin is going to be running for president in that year. Now I'm kind of worried.