• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mayan Calendar 2012 - the world will not end

Lark

The only end of the world which I believe happens is an individual end of the world when each of us dies and is then dead to the world.

Religions and ideologies should be life affirming and not embracing these death cult end of things ideas, things are never that bad that they are totally irretrievable.

Also at any time that the world has ended in the scriptures of any of the world religions it has been usually a devastating change but now a final end, obviously since we're still here reading them, but I think that lends important context to any writing about the end of the world.

S

Sniffles

The only end of the world which I believe happens is an individual end of the world when each of us dies and is then dead to the world.

Religions and ideologies should be life affirming and not embracing these death cult end of things ideas, things are never that bad that they are totally irretrievable.

Also at any time that the world has ended in the scriptures of any of the world religions it has been usually a devastating change but now a final end, obviously since we're still here reading them, but I think that lends important context to any writing about the end of the world.

Well religions are about the meaning of death, and stories about the end times convey the message that time and history have greater meaning. History is not random and meaningless, it has a deeper point that involves the uncovering of providence. Yes this has been perverted into utopianism, but that's trying to find the end within time rather than outside time.

Lark

Well religions are about the meaning of death, and stories about the end times convey the message that time and history have greater meaning. History is not random and meaningless, it has a deeper point that involves the uncovering of providence. Yes this has been perverted into utopianism, but that's trying to find the end within time rather than outside time.

I do believe that the scriptures of the world religions which engage in speculation about a future paradisical state of being on earth are meant to be interpreted as within time and actual forecasting.

I definitely believe that in the case of judaism and christianity, OK the kingdom of heaven may be within you but it is also more than that.

It could be interpreted as creating a sort of community into which the prescence of God can return but it is something besides either an end to time itself or outside of time or temporal/worldly states of being.

Mole

Permabanned
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Already quit my job and spent all my savings. Got two barrels of sunflower oil and a transistor radio.

I'm ready.

The End of the World is a religious fantasy and the only appropriate response is to laugh at it.

Our Prime Minister (look to your left), an atheist living in sin, has publicly laughed at the End of the World.

I have personally booked a table at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe and invite you to join me.

Lark

The End of the World is a religious fantasy and the only appropriate response is to laugh at it.

Our Prime Minister (look to your left), an atheist living in sin, has publicly laughed at the End of the World.

I have personally booked a table at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe and invite you to join me.

LOL@atheism.