• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mayan Calendar 2012 - the world will not end

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I wondered the same thing, it would be much cheaper to just burn the bodies in field somewhere!

:)... I don't think they're coffins, more likely to be supply crates for the military.

I know. It seems like such a waste to give everyone individual coffins. I mean, I can understand the reasoning behind plastic coffins if they didn't have nefarious intent -- in the event of a huge disaster, there would be a lot of dead people. An individual coffin would give the dead person some respect, and it's plastic because it's cheap and would protect groundwater sources from being contaminated when they're buried.

However, if we were talking genocide and mass extermination, why bother with the decency of giving dead people their own coffins? It'd be much more efficient to, yes, burn them, or if you can't burn them because it'd be too noticeable or something, you'd make mass graves. You know how when they bury people they often have vaults? You know how big they are? You could probably fit three or five people in there if you cut them up a little. And still, your groundwater remains clean. :D

uh. Sorry for derailing.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
The Mayan calendar ends at 2012 not because the world will end, but simply because they got tired of carving all of that crap into stone.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
The Mayan calendar ends at 2012 not because the world will end, but simply because they got tired of carving all of that crap into stone.

Mayan 1: Dammit, I ran out of stone to carve into! It only goes to 2012! Get me more stone!

Mayan 2: Why bother? We're not gonna need it once the Spanish come here and take over and kill us with smallpox anyway.

Mayan 1: Huh, I guess you're right...wait. What?

Lux

Kraken down on piracy

Exactly. They had to stop at some point, and whatever point they decided to stop at you'd have people screaming 'The end is nigh'.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Exactly. They had to stop at some point, and whatever point they decided to stop at you'd have people screaming 'The end is nigh'.

I thought the year 2012 was associated to other ancient cultures as well as the Maya.

I personally doubt the world will end, it'll just continue to change as it always has for billions of years.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?

Kinda yes, kinda no. The mayan calender goes under the assumption of cycles; every X many years, the world ends and is reborn anew, and had supposedly happened 6 or 7 times already in the past before that. The end of 2012 is just when the current cycle ends, and starts over again, I assume they just didn't bother to continue on with the next cycle, assumming they'd just wait until it was kind of near the end of it to put the effort in. No point writing the new one out several hundred years in advance.

Seriously, to them the cycle was more like a yearly calender to us... do *WE* have calenders that are available for more than 2 years into the future? We didn't even have calenders that went past 2000 a few years ago and there was a huge panic over that too >.>

That didn't mean it was the 'end of the world', though in the mayan one technically it *IS*, after a fashion, but it doesn't mean that it *REALLY* is the end of the world... it's moreso just the rebirth of it, so they figure something major will happen then but they have no clue whot. For all we know it could be a comet that goes by every X number of years to signify it, or it could be a spiritual interpretation, or it may mean quite literally nothing. Or it could be the end of the world too, with no chance of parole until... oh yeah, never.

I doubt that though, the history of the calender itself basically states that it's just the end of the current cycle is all, and that there's another one after it, they just didn't bother to write it in before they became pretty much extinct.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I thought the year 2012 was associated to other ancient cultures as well as the Maya.

I personally doubt the world will end, it'll just continue to change as it always has for billions of years.

Do you mean other cultures have an exact year of 2012 association with the world ending? I'm genuinely curious.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
2012 conspiracy believers are idiots. My calender stops at december 31st this year, after all there is no more paper to rip off of it. My calendar is even more widely accepted then the Mayan one. Therefore I plead that the world will end on January the first 2010...

Unless I get a new calendar before then...

LEGERdeMAIN

People handle the end of civilization differently. Y2K happened. You just don't know it because you were abducted by aliens and they erased your memory. psycho.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
i dont think most are approaching this seriously, but there's gotta be at least a few gullible people out there who actually do, so for their sake let's just accept that nobody knows when the world is ending...

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Do you mean other cultures have an exact year of 2012 association with the world ending? I'm genuinely curious.

Egyptian... http://www.life-cycles-destiny.com/pg/ancient-maya-egypt-civilization.html

Aztec... Mysteries Of 2012 - The Aztec Calendar

Hopi... Hopi Prophecy 2012 :: Find out about the 2012 Hopi Prophecy by 2012Supplies.com

Hindu... Hinduism, - Articles

Sumerian... http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/esp_autor_whenry02.html... Bad link!

... It's a good list of theories!

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP

There is another predictive system among the corroborative sources regarding 2012 called Timewave theory which was created by Terence McKenna in the '70s based upon the ancient Chinese I-Ching processed through a fractal-wave function which purports to map the high and low points of Earth civilizations. There are some interesting correlations between the time wave graph and long-term history, as well as some recent spikes including 11.09.2001 (9-11). It's all quite controversial and enigmatic, but some aficionados are curious about an upcoming spike on 26.10.2009 (2 weeks).

But of course the I-Ching system is like a choose your own adventure book involving flipping a coin 3 times to choose your path.

LEGERdeMAIN

There is another predictive system among the corroborative sources regarding 2012 called Timewave theory which was created by Terence McKenna in the '70s based upon the ancient Chinese I-Ching processed through a fractal-wave function which purports to map the high and low points of Earth civilizations. There are some interesting correlations between the time wave graph and long-term history, as well as some recent spikes including 11.09.2001 (9-11). It's all quite controversial and enigmatic, but some aficionados are curious about an upcoming spike on 26.10.2009 (2 weeks).

But of course the I-Ching system is like a choose your own adventure book involving flipping a coin 3 times to choose your path.

Yeah, there are a lot of Mckenna videos on youtube if anyone wants to check them out. Search for Novelty Theory.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
It doesn't matter whether it ends or not. If you can't change it, there's no sense worrying about it. Your going to die eventually anyways and as history shows, some people die before their 'time is up'.

Bushranger

MBTI Type
INTP
In any case, I want my meat stripped from the bones and fed to a bear or something that could make use of it, then wrap the bones a la mummification, and get a little pyramid for a headstone, with a language on each facing saying the same thing... for 3 sides. And then total absolute nonsense which means NOTHING on the last side, just to screw up archaeologists a thousand years from now.

Reminds me of the Zoroastrian approach.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
all those civilizations got it from the sumerians.

not necessarily independent verification.

sumerians can't get everything right. or else they would have predicted the babylonians attacking them and prepared better.

well, i guess they did in a religious sense

did sumerians actually ever predict a year? I thought they speculated on a time frame, and other civilizations just kinda made a guess at it.

LEGERdeMAIN

all those civilizations got it from the sumerians.

not necessarily independent verification.

sumerians can't get everything right. or else they would have predicted the babylonians attacking them and prepared better.

well, i guess they did in a religious sense

did sumerians actually ever predict a year? I thought they speculated on a time frame, and other civilizations just kinda made a guess at it.

Actually, the Sumerians got it when the Atlanteans visited them in flying ships and warned of impending doom.