User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Last edited by Virtual ghost; 11-09-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Sniffles

Well yes, the problem today is that people are too pessimistic. Funny thing is just a few years ago everybody was way too optimistic. So we've gone from one BS extreme to another.

I guess in accordance with my Ni prophecy skills: when everybody was optimisitc, I was warning about the dangers that loomed ahead. Now that everybody is shouting the sky is falling, I'm already seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I believe this is very much like the prophet Amos; who first predicted the destruction of the Kingdom of Israel but then at the end declares how out of the turmoil, God will restore glory to the chosen people.

MBTI
    INTJ

From Peguy's link:
    ""It will change," Mr. Barrios observes. "Everything will change." He said Mayan Daykeepers view the Dec. 21, 2012 date as a rebirth, the start of the World of the Fifth Sun. It will be the start of a new era resulting from — and signified by — the solar meridian crossing the galactic equator, and the earth aligning itself with the center of the galaxy.

At sunrise on December 21, 2012 — for the first time in 26,000 years — the Sun rises to conjunct the intersection of the Milky Way and the plane of the ecliptic, describing in the sky a great cross of stars and planets. This cosmic cross is considered to be an embodiment of the Sacred Tree, The Tree of Life — a tree remembered in all the world’s spiritual traditions.

Some observers say this alignment with the heart of the galaxy in 2012 will open a channel for cosmic energy to flow through the earth, cleansing it and all that dwells upon it, raising all to a higher level of vibration. This process has already begun, Mr. Barrios suggested. "Change is accelerating now, and it will continue to accelerate."

If the people of the earth can get to this 2012 date in good shape, without having destroyed too much of the Earth, Mr. Barrios said, we will rise to a new, higher level. But to get there we must transform enormously powerful forces that seek to block the way. "

Sounds like it could be the Second Coming of the Messiah.

But on a different note, I thought people were unable to align the Mayan calendar precisely with our modern day one and therefore couldn't figure out exactly the date on which it ended. Has that changed?

MBTI
    INFJ

Is the Mayan calendar set up in such a way that stopping on 2012 is significant? To be more specific:

1) Would the formula/pattern they used explain why they would stop on 2012? or
    2) Did someone get tired of charting out so far in the future and decided stopping at 2012 would suffice for the time being.

I'm confused why people assume it signifies "the END" when it could just be that someone got bored and quit, or something like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    Is the Mayan calendar set up in such a way that stopping on 2012 is significant? To be more specific:

2) Did someone get tired of charting out so far in the future and decided stopping at 2012 would suffice for the time being.

I'm confused why people assume it signifies "the END" when it could just be that someone got bored and quit, or something like that.
    My thoughts exactly.
    The first time I saw this thing: "Okay, that is big. Why choose that spot to end it, there's still room? Oh well, someone probably got bored."

Everything is in constant change, and I do feel there is something coming. The economical condition should say something and the rise of the more right wing political parties, but apocalypse?
    Riiiight.

MBTI
    INFJ

If you guys want to see some REALLY interesting predictions of 2012, you should try going to a New Age psychic forum. They tend to be a little more interesting than just believing the world is going to end. For example, one I read said: Our DNA will change from a double helix to a triple helix!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

If you guys want to see some REALLY interesting predictions of 2012, you should try going to a New Age psychic forum. They tend to be a little more interesting than just believing the world is going to end. For example, one I read said: Our DNA will change from a double helix to a triple helix!
    <imagines the amount of new information that would be in a 2012 version of my biochem text>
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTP

I must admit that I get quite frightened the first time I heard of that... But I thought exactly what wedekit said. Every 31st of December the world doesn't end.
    And besides, nobody seems to arrive to a conclusion about what will happen. Some say that the aliens from Planet X will come and take the Earth. Others that we'll be blasted from a solar ray. Others simply say 'IT'S THE END GUYS'.
    Then there's the people who say 'DO NOT WORRY, WE'RE HEADING FOR A GOOD CHANGE'.

I survived a few 'ends of the world' (the 2000 one, the eclipse one, the 06/06/06...), so I guess that by 2013 I'll have survived another one.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post

But on a different note, I thought people were unable to align the Mayan calendar precisely with our modern day one and therefore couldn't figure out exactly the date on which it ended. Has that changed?
    I read that there's even a 6 years error (for a mistake in the gregorian calendar or something like that), so the supposed 'end of the world' would have been in 2004.

Now that I say that, I remember reading in 2003 that the prophecies said that in 2006 the surface of the planet would have entirely changed.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I thought the Mayans made this prophecy to give gullible people something to do,
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I usually figure that they couldn't calculate beyond that point because of too many minute changes in star positions, earth rotations/revolutions, revolutions of the moon (which is actually changing...the moon is moving away from us until it reaches equilibrium), etc becoming just a little too 'big' to continue to calculate accurately. And I don't have much doubt in their consideration of this sort of thing when calculating their calendars before. If anything, I'm guessing the Mayans will just have to recalculate their calendar according to the new changes in space and geography.

The whole "end of the world" thing sounds a bit like someone misunderstood what the Mayans meant in the first place. I have a feeling it became like a game of "telephone".
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost