• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reading religious texts in full

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Has anyone here read in it's entirety, like from cover to cover like a normal book, any religious texts (i.e. Bible, Quran, Talmud, etc.)?

I've only ever met one person who did this with The Bible.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't even know if I can tell you how the cover looks like, is their a price tag, bar code?

Usehername

On a mission
Need it necessarily be in order?

I'm working my way through everything in the Bible, but I like to rotate between OT and NT, and I take breaks from the order to reread books I more easily resonate with whenever I think of reading a certain piece of text as a chore (and then come back to it later when I actually want to learn from it).

My friend's grandma reads the entire Bible every single year. I know several people who have been through the entire thing several times. (I'm not one of them.)

locke

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've read the Tao Te Ching in full. :D (Victor H. Mair translation)

S

Sniffles

Ive glanced through my Bible.

Recently I read the Book of Revealations. What can I say, all those people who claim they've deciphered its language and know when the End Times will happen have clearly been drinking too much cough syrup.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
We "had to" read the Bible in School back then in Switzerland during Religion-Class. And I mean not for just ourselves. It was like a reading-out-loud, where Every1 had to take a few Passages. Then we "worked with it". If that counts.

Mole

Permabanned
Has anyone here read in it's entirety, like from cover to cover like a normal book, any religious texts (i.e. Bible, Quran, Talmud, etc.)?

I read the Bible from cover to cover and found not one joke or even a funny story. And as the Bible is the inspired word of God, I presume God has no sense of humour.

This is a very peculiar conclusion to come to, I think you will agree. So I looked around for anything else that lacks a sense of humour. And guess what, I found it.

Trance has no sense of humour for the very simple reason that by entering a trance, we progressively turn off our cognitive faculties. And to my surprise, I discovered that the sense of humour is a cognitive faculty.

So I was led to the conclusion that the Bible was written in a trance.

And we know that the easiest way to induce a trance in others, is to first induce a trance in oneself - and this is just what the Bible has done.

So we conclude that the Bible was written in a trance and induces a trance in those that read it.

And the purpose of entrancement is simply to suspend disbelief. And of course belief is the essence of Christianity.

And this is why the Bible is entrancing.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Weird. I think the Patriarchs with their sarcasm are hilarious. Also Paul, when he stands before the Pharisees and Sadducees and declares that is his belief in the resurrection of the dead that has landed him in troubled, knowing full well it was going to start a huge fight between those factions was really funny, too. And that time when Ehud assassinates Eglon and goes out the window and Eglon's servants are worried, but are afraid to go into the room because he might be on the pot. I'm notoriously easily amused, though.

To the OP, I haven't read the entire Bible. I've probably read everything but the books of the major prophets, though.

Mole

Permabanned
Weird. I think the Patriarchs with their sarcasm are hilarious. Also Paul, when he stands before the Pharisees and Sadducees and declares that is his belief in the resurrection of the dead that has landed him in troubled, knowing full well it was going to start a huge fight between those factions was really funny, too. And that time when Ehud assassinates Eglon and goes out the window and Eglon's servants are worried, but are afraid to go into the room because he might be on the pot. I'm notoriously easily amused, though.

To the OP, I haven't read the entire Bible. I've probably read everything but the books of the major prophets, though.

You are plainly entranced by the Bible. You are so entranced, you see humour where there is none - this is the triumph of belief over reality.

But I have seen no one giggling and laughing their way through the Bible.

Entrancement is lovely but the most important thing is waking up afterwards.

Wake up!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Has anyone here read in it's entirety, like from cover to cover like a normal book, any religious texts (i.e. Bible, Quran, Talmud, etc.)? I've only ever met one person who did this with The Bible.

I think over the years I've read just about everything in it. I did a scattershot, though, so it's hard to tell.

I know my mom (an ISFJ) has, a few times.

With the Bible, order's a little odd -- it's not historically in order.

Usehername

On a mission
You are plainly entranced by the Bible. You are so entranced, you see humour where there is none - this is the triumph of belief over reality.

Wake up!

This makes no sense.

Of course the Bible has humour. Just like it has grave seriousness. It's mostly a huge amalgam of stories of people's lives.

Does your life have only humour or seriousness?

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I've gone through the New Testament a few times but not the entire Bible, no. I tried once, and didn't get very far.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've read through a lot of the Bible, but I've never read it straight through.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1

Wake up!
No, I really do think that stuff is funny and I would think it was funny in any other book or hearing the story told in an entertaining way. It's possible your sense of humor differs from mine. I wouldn't laugh my way through the Bible because there are a lot of very unfunny things in it, but I certainly laugh in certain places. The Bible is full of all kinds of characters and situations and some of them are, to me, genuinely funny. But I love to laugh. Not everybody has that same joy for life and easy humor that I have. Or maybe I'm just lowbrow and you are not. *shrug*

S

Sniffles

cafe, it's probably best if you just ignored Victor's remarks. Please, for the sake of your own sanity!

MBTI Type
ENTP

Everyone in my immediate family has read The Bible several times. My mom has probably read it at least a dozen times. My dad maybe a hundred or more. I guess that probably seems pretty crazy to most people. I knew a lot of people growing up who had read the whole thing.

I've read a bunch of the English version of the Koran, but when I get around to relearning Arabic I want to read the whole thing in the native language. I'd like to learn Hebrew and read some Hebraic literature too. Oh, me.....

Mole

Permabanned
cafe, it's probably best if you just ignored Victor's remarks. Please, for the sake of your own sanity!

Listen to Victor and loose your sanity.

Loose your mind and come to your senses.

Never mind Victor.

Mole

Permabanned
No, I really do think that stuff is funny and I would think it was funny in any other book or hearing the story told in an entertaining way. It's possible your sense of humor differs from mine. I wouldn't laugh my way through the Bible because there are a lot of very unfunny things in it, but I certainly laugh in certain places. The Bible is full of all kinds of characters and situations and some of them are, to me, genuinely funny. But I love to laugh. Not everybody has that same joy for life and easy humor that I have. Or maybe I'm just lowbrow and you are not. *shrug*

Do you really want to argue whether the Bible is a funny book or not?

Or do you just want to call me a highbrow?

I remember the, "Know Nothing Party", of which Palin is a member - winking at the Alaskan hillbillies and across the TV, at all of us.

Calling the low brow, the ignorant and the vicious together.

Sneering at the elites and the highbrows - just as you do here.

It's called reverse snobbery.