User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    Giraffes evolved purposely.
    There is no purpose in evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    Yeah, God must have the best sense of humour, ever.
    Sure, He giggled His way through Auschwitz.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    In our research on type and spirituality, which involved interviews and e-correspondence with people of each type from all over the world, it was mostly the INTPs who said they'd read religious texts cover to cover. Usually it wasn't just the main one from their own cultural faith but the Bible, Koran, Book of Mormon and so on. They said, "How can you say you believe anything unless you understand it and also understand the alternatives?"

They also were most likely to pick up on bizarre patterns. Like why the obsession on what we wear on our heads?

INTPs all emailed us their answers. ESFJs all had us over for coffee.
    That's very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    I've read everything in the Bible at least once except Jeremiah and Ezekial. The Bible isn't a book you're going to read one time and understand. I'm still trying to get it figured out, and it's been years.
    The problem is that you can't understand the Bible from the inside. That is, you can't understand the Bible in its own terms.

To understand the Bible, you need an external reference point.

You can't understand any trance from the inside because understanding is a cognitive faculty. And in a trance, even the Biblical trance, your cognitive faculties go to sleep so you trance faculities can awaken.

So it is necessary to wake from your Biblical trance in order to understand it.

No understanding can be found within the Biblical trance itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Has anyone here read in it's entirety, like from cover to cover like a normal book, any religious texts (i.e. Bible, Quran, Talmud, etc.)?

I've only ever met one person who did this with The Bible.
    Yes. I read all of them that way the first time. (No "study" or "commentary" or anything of that sort the first time).

I liked the Bible stories as stories...To be honest, I did "speed read" the long lists of lineage, strictures, etc. when I read the Bible.

I read English versions of the Bhagavad Gita several times this way. IMO, the Gitas are the easiest to read "as normal books." Perhaps, I am biased.

I want to read the Heart Sutra, at some point, also.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Has anyone here read in it's entirety, like from cover to cover like a normal book, any religious texts (i.e. Bible, Quran, Talmud, etc.)?

I've only ever met one person who did this with The Bible.
    I've read the whole Bible through once, but I've read most books of the Bible several times. I tend to skip most of the prophets though.

I'm not really surprised on a board with this many N's that quite a few people have read the whole thing.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

ive read more than half for all of these (some of them ive read in full):

genesis, exodus, numbers, Deuteronomy, Leviticus, proverbs
    Matthew, mark, james, timothy, 1 Corinthians, colossians, revelations

btw: numbers 31 is pretty funny

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The problem is that you can't understand the Bible from the inside. That is, you can't understand the Bible in its own terms.

To understand the Bible, you need an external reference point.

You can't understand any trance from the inside because understanding is a cognitive faculty. And in a trance, even the Biblical trance, your cognitive faculties go to sleep so you trance faculities can awaken.

So it is necessary to wake from your Biblical trance in order to understand it.

No understanding can be found within the Biblical trance itself.
    So I should listen to Christian techno instead of Christian trance?

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    So I should listen to Christian techno instead of Christian trance?
    If I were to take your reply as a poetic metaphor, the answer would be, yes.

But if your reply was confusing trance music with the trance of the mind, I would refer you to The Trance Institute.

MBTI
    INxJ

I've read entire texts of most of the major religions. I was curious. I remain agnostic, with a sprinkling of atheist.