User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well there you go cafe, even he's urging you not to pay attention to him.
    It's true we live in the attention economy - why, you have just elected your first all celebrity President.

So I am grateful when you pay me attention - it's payday, I say, he's paying attention.

The cruelest most unkind thing you could ever do, Peguy, is press the Ignore Button.

I don't know whether it is Christian charity or whether you dare not take your eyes off me, but I know I can rely on you to pay me a fair day's wages in attention.

You have made me attention rich as indeed has everyone one else here.

And I am grateful for your attention.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I read the Bible from cover to cover and found not one joke or even a funny story. And as the Bible is the inspired word of God, I presume God has no sense of humour.
    Oh, come on!

You can't begin to tell me that the whole story of Ehud sneaking in the enemy king's bathroom and stabbing him so hard that the knife got lost in the king's sizeable gut, while he was sitting on the toilet of all things, and then Ehud climbing down the wall and escaping into the night... while all the aids were afraid to disturb the king during his bowel-cleansing repast and so didn't find his dead body until the next day wasn't funny.

Or when Jesus clearly says what he's trying to say about the Bread of Life, and all the disciples stand around like guys in a Don Martin MAD Magazine cartoon saying things like, "Wait, is he saying he's hungry? Should one of us fetch food?" and you just SEE Jesus rolling his eyes at their cluelessness, wondering why the hell he hadn't picked up his disciplines at the local school rather than off the fishing dock?

Or Paul saying all of our righteousness is like "shit" (pretty literally... or also the equivalent of used Maxi-pads)? Or, when he's complaining about the Jews who insist on circumcision being essential to salvation, says, "If they're going to say such stupid things, I wish they'd go all the way and cut it ALL off!" Or at another location, where he clearly says the people who oppose him should go to hell... ("And yes, I mean it," he repeats, "they should go to hell!") Comments like that by Paul make me laugh just imagining what the evangelicals would say if they realized the Bible they're following actually isn't nearly as sanitized as they would like to make it.

No kidding. The Bible is full of this, if you actually pay attention to the content. You can't miss it.

Or maybe you just don't find these things funny?

... of course, looking at your goofy "entrancing" pun... maybe this whole post was a ploy to mess with our heads.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ... of course, looking at your goofy "entrancing" pun...
    Of course there is no pun. When you enter a trance, you are entrancing. And when you are in a trance, you are entranced.

Good heavens, that great trance induction, the Mass, begins with the Entrance.

And each of our homes has an entrance. And it is through this entrance, we enter the trance of our home.

Have you noticed that each home is quite different, with different smells and different habits written all over the place. This is why each home needs its own special entrance.

Whereas the Mass introduces us to a home shared by all of us - so the Mass has only one Entrance right across the world.

So you see, there is no pun - it is literally true.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Of course there is no pun. When you enter a trance, you are entrancing. And when you are in a trance, you are entranced...
    Well, you can't say I didn't give you an out.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Do you really want to argue whether the Bible is a funny book or not?

Or do you just want to call me a highbrow?

I remember the, "Know Nothing Party", of which Palin is a member - winking at the Alaskan hillbillies and across the TV, at all of us.

Calling the low brow, the ignorant and the vicious together.

Sneering at the elites and the highbrows - just as you do here.

It's called reverse snobbery.
    It was the only explanation I could think of for your inability to see the humor in what, to me, are humorous situations in the Bible. I don't care if you are highbrow or lowbrow or bushy-browed, to be honest. I've noticed that my taste in movies, for instance, is very different from those with real critical expertise and I dislike most jazz, which is held in great esteem by many of the best musicians. I love comedies like The Princess Bride, Pootie Tang, Raising Arizona. I love the music of Weird Al and Jonathan Coultan. One of my greatest blessings in life is my husband's silly sense of humor. I truly love to laugh and can find humor in many things. I do not know why that is untrue of you, but I do not think my sense of humor is the result of my being entranced.

To me, the Bible is full of the tragic, the horrifying, the heartwarming, the mind-numbingly boring, the incomprehensible, and the humorous. You don't feel that way. That's fine. People can have different experiences with literature and the arts, that does not mean that those who have a different experience than ourselves are entranced. Humor is most definitely too subjective to make that kind of broad generalization. It's insulting to do so.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Well, you can't say I didn't give you an out.
    You don't understand what I have written but don't know it.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Also Paul, when he stands before the Pharisees and Sadducees and declares that is his belief in the resurrection of the dead that has landed him in troubled, knowing full well it was going to start a huge fight between those factions was really funny, too.
    I liked Paul a lot more after reading that part.

Or, when he's complaining about the Jews who insist on circumcision being essential to salvation, says, "If they're going to say such stupid things, I wish they'd go all the way and cut it ALL off!"
    That part was great too. Yet my Bible study group seemed to pass over it without understanding. Nobody even smirked (except me).

These and many other parts of the Bible are funny because they were not meant to be. Reading about such absurd spectacles in the solemn language typical of scripture can be hilarious. Part of the joke is wondering whether the people thousands of years ago got the joke.

MBTI
    INTj

Three posts moved to the following location:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ulting-me.html

Victor, stop derailing threads.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I read the Bible from cover to cover and found not one joke or even a funny story. And as the Bible is the inspired word of God, I presume God has no sense of humour.

This is a very peculiar conclusion to come to, I think you will agree. So I looked around for anything else that lacks a sense of humour. And guess what, I found it.

Trance has no sense of humour for the very simple reason that by entering a trance, we progressively turn off our cognitive faculties. And to my surprise, I discovered that the sense of humour is a cognitive faculty.

So I was led to the conclusion that the Bible was written in a trance.

And we know that the easiest way to induce a trance in others, is to first induce a trance in oneself - and this is just what the Bible has done.

So we conclude that the Bible was written in a trance and induces a trance in those that read it.

And the purpose of entrancement is simply to suspend disbelief. And of course belief is the essence of Christianity.

And this is why the Bible is entrancing.
    I laughed out loud when the servant fell asleep when Paul was preaching and Paul fell out the window.

Adam's "She made me do it" was a rib-cracker too.

James and John competing to be at Jesus' right hand?

Balaam and his donkey?

Moses trying to get out of going before Pharoah?
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    To the Op:

Like yes . . . several times.
    In our research on type and spirituality, which involved interviews and e-correspondence with people of each type from all over the world, it was mostly the INTPs who said they'd read religious texts cover to cover. Usually it wasn't just the main one from their own cultural faith but the Bible, Koran, Book of Mormon and so on. They said, "How can you say you believe anything unless you understand it and also understand the alternatives?"

They also were most likely to pick up on bizarre patterns. Like why the obsession on what we wear on our heads?

INTPs all emailed us their answers. ESFJs all had us over for coffee.
    edcoaching