First 1234 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Has anyone here read in it's entirety, like from cover to cover like a normal book, any religious texts (i.e. Bible, Quran, Talmud, etc.)? I've only ever met one person who did this with The Bible.
    I think over the years I've read just about everything in it. I did a scattershot, though, so it's hard to tell.

I know my mom (an ISFJ) has, a few times.

With the Bible, order's a little odd -- it's not historically in order.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    You are plainly entranced by the Bible. You are so entranced, you see humour where there is none - this is the triumph of belief over reality.

But I have seen no one giggling and laughing their way through the Bible.

Entrancement is lovely but the most important thing is waking up afterwards.

Wake up!
    This makes no sense.

Of course the Bible has humour. Just like it has grave seriousness. It's mostly a huge amalgam of stories of people's lives.

Does your life have only humour or seriousness?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ISTJ

I've gone through the New Testament a few times but not the entire Bible, no. I tried once, and didn't get very far.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

I've read through a lot of the Bible, but I've never read it straight through.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

You are plainly entranced by the Bible. You are so entranced, you see humour where there is none - this is the triumph of belief over reality.

But I have seen no one giggling and laughing their way through the Bible.

Entrancement is lovely but the most important thing is waking up afterwards.

Wake up!
    No, I really do think that stuff is funny and I would think it was funny in any other book or hearing the story told in an entertaining way. It's possible your sense of humor differs from mine. I wouldn't laugh my way through the Bible because there are a lot of very unfunny things in it, but I certainly laugh in certain places. The Bible is full of all kinds of characters and situations and some of them are, to me, genuinely funny. But I love to laugh. Not everybody has that same joy for life and easy humor that I have. Or maybe I'm just lowbrow and you are not. *shrug*
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Sniffles

cafe, it's probably best if you just ignored Victor's remarks. Please, for the sake of your own sanity!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    I've only ever met one person who did this with The Bible.
    Everyone in my immediate family has read The Bible several times. My mom has probably read it at least a dozen times. My dad maybe a hundred or more. I guess that probably seems pretty crazy to most people. I knew a lot of people growing up who had read the whole thing.

I've read a bunch of the English version of the Koran, but when I get around to relearning Arabic I want to read the whole thing in the native language. I'd like to learn Hebrew and read some Hebraic literature too. Oh, me.....
    I don't wanna!

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    cafe, it's probably best if you just ignored Victor's remarks. Please, for the sake of your own sanity!
    Listen to Victor and loose your sanity.

Loose your mind and come to your senses.

Never mind Victor.

Sniffles

Never mind Victor.
    Well there you go cafe, even he's urging you not to pay attention to him.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    No, I really do think that stuff is funny and I would think it was funny in any other book or hearing the story told in an entertaining way. It's possible your sense of humor differs from mine. I wouldn't laugh my way through the Bible because there are a lot of very unfunny things in it, but I certainly laugh in certain places. The Bible is full of all kinds of characters and situations and some of them are, to me, genuinely funny. But I love to laugh. Not everybody has that same joy for life and easy humor that I have. Or maybe I'm just lowbrow and you are not. *shrug*
    Do you really want to argue whether the Bible is a funny book or not?

Or do you just want to call me a highbrow?

I remember the, "Know Nothing Party", of which Palin is a member - winking at the Alaskan hillbillies and across the TV, at all of us.

Calling the low brow, the ignorant and the vicious together.

Sneering at the elites and the highbrows - just as you do here.

It's called reverse snobbery.