User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which one best represents your view?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Materialism

25 52.08%
  • Dualism

23 47.92%
First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Dualism
    INtj | 9w1

I'm a dualist simply because we perceive by making distinctions. And as a distinction always has two sides, a distinction is dual by nature.

And as we cannot see what we cannot perceive, all we can see is the dual world.

However here is the kicker - we can only see one side of a distinction at a time. So we appear to be looking at a mono world, when in fact we are seeing a dual world. And this leads to all the classic paradoxes of perception.

And then there is the after kick - dualism is politically incorrect, so the bien pensant say they are not dualists for social reasons.

So dualism gets a bad press. First because it is counter-intuitive and second because it is politically incorrect.

I'm a dualist.

I think the mind is "software," while the brain/body is hardware.

Software needs a physical manifestation to exist, but it is not the manifestation itself. As long as there is no corruption, the same software can be on a CD or you hard-drive (two different physical manifestations).

Right now, brains/bodies contain the only physical manifestations of minds. However, I believe there will come a time when another physical manifestation is possible.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTP

I have a strong, but quite complicated opinion about this.

There are two things. Matter (or energy) and information (or entropy).

You could see a soul/mind as information. My brain is more than a random collection of neurons firing. They are firing in a structured way.

But. The mind/soul/information/entropy is NOT that spiritual, ideal thing unaccessible by science, like the dualists say. It follows the laws of nature, just like ordinary matter. Read "The selfish gene" and "The god delusion" of R. Dawkins.

When I die, that bunch of neurons will decay, entropy will rise and my soul/mind will be no more.

A really dualistic standpoint would have a mind/soul independent from a body. There are these stories of the soul travelling when you are dreaming; or of souls switching bodies; or... Nice stories, but not true. You can't separate the information (eg. mind) from the carrier (brain) - information is the way the carrier is built.

Of course, information can be copied along carriers. In this way, information can live a longer life than the carrier. I'm doing this right now. I'm copying my opinion about materialism and dualism onto the carrier called typologycentral. Some of the copies (probably not this one) will live longer than I do.

Another dualistic standpoint says the soul/mind is eternal and matter is temporary. Not true. It's the matter that stays. The electrons firing in my head right now would be still there. But the information is changing all the time: I'm learning and that changes my mind; my post on typologycentral (that snippet of information I'm trying to spread) will get mixed up with other opinions, interpreted, rejected, copied into another brain with copying errors,...

I voted for Materialism, because ultimately, matter and structure of matter are the same.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I'm a Duelist. Pistols at dawn!

Oberon

My interest in materialist philosophy ended with my researches into what we think we know about the precise nature of electromagnetic waves.

Matter just doesn't explain everything, not even in physical terms.

MBTI
    SEXY

I believe in both. We have our own subjective interpretation of everything. However, matter is responsible for at least a part of our subjective interpretations. The way the neurons in our brain work can in theory account for the concept of subjectivity, making it truly materialistic. On the other hand, we haven't yet observed the full process, the way the brain works is largely unexplained and even most of the theories tend to fail explaining everything. More so, modern day scientifical concepts like multiple dimensions, quantum superposition and the uncertainty principle state that it will be incredibly hard, if not impossible, to observe the basic processes of the universe. If this is the case it is impossible to establish whether the world is materialistic or dual, but to our consciousness it will therefore be dual.
    (removed)

MBTI
    nite
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Matter is mostly empty space between subatomic particles with Alice-in-Wonderland properties that can’t be separated from the observer. So what exactly does a materialist believe in?
    X___________________________________

If things are not what they seem, and we are forever reminded that this is the case—then it must also be observed that enough of us ignore this truth to keep the world from collapsing. –Thomas Ligotti, The Mystics of Muelenberg

MBTI
    ENTP

Space + Time + Matter = Universe.

Our perception spreads them into differences. But you can turn space into time, time into matter,... One does not exist without the other. There is one universal entity which can present itself as space, time, matter and any combination of these.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Materialist, believing that dualism can exist in waves and/or particles we simple can't register at this time.

So basicly, I'm a materialist admitting we don't know everything.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf