User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    type

Default All Non-Roman Catholics are Heathens

Well, it's settled. If you're not RC, you're doomed to hell.

Pope: Other Christians not true churches

LORENZAGO DI CADORE, Italy - Pope Benedict XVI reasserted the primacy of the Roman Catholic Church, approving a document released Tuesday that says other Christian communities are either defective or not true churches and Catholicism provides the only true path to salvation.

The statement brought swift criticism from Protestant leaders. "It makes us question whether we are indeed praying together for Christian unity," said the World Alliance of Reformed Churches, a fellowship of 75 million Protestants in more than 100 countries.

"It makes us question the seriousness with which the Roman Catholic Church takes its dialogues with the reformed family and other families of the church," the group said in a letter charging that the document took ecumenical dialogue back to the era before the Second Vatican Council.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    Well, it's settled. If you're not RC, you're doomed to hell.
    Does that mean you're safe by default, RC?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

"But it's important always to point out that there's the official position and there's the huge amount of friendship and fellowship and worshipping together that goes on at all levels, certainly between Anglicans and Catholics and all the other groups and Catholics," she said.
    Oh, good!

So if I'm a member of a white supremacy group but I still smile and chat up black people when I'm out at MacDonalds, it means "no hard feelings?"

I'm sorry, but what a crock. And the apostolic succession thing just... reeks. ("My great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather knew Jesus personally, so that means everything we've believed for 2000 years is correct!")
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by raincrow007 View Post
    Does that mean you're safe by default, RC?
    Why yes, it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm sorry, but what a crock. And the apostolic succession thing just... reeks. ("My great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather knew Jesus personally, so that means everything we've believed for 2000 years is correct!")
    And the gnostics are even more right, as we're bypassing the demi-urge altogether.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The new pope scares me - even more than hell.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    A lot of people thought that at the time of his selection. John Paul II was so liberal tho, I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

I liked the Wikipedia vandal who replaced his pic with one of Sauroman.

Wonder where this leaves the Eastern Orthodox Churches? The Roman church was only one of equals, not "the ruler of all."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, at least he won't be there when we show up.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

He's sure creepy looking as all get out, no doubt about it. John Paul seemed like such a sweet old man.

To the OP, I didn't know they had ever thought otherwise about non-Catholics.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    He's sure creepy looking as all get out, no doubt about it. John Paul seemed like such a sweet old man.

To the OP, I didn't know they had ever thought otherwise about non-Catholics.
    Yeah, there's been a ecumenical effort going on for years, but I reckon this is the nail in that coffin.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    Yeah, there's been a ecumenical effort going on for years, but I reckon this is the nail in that coffin.
    I guess I've had my head up my Protestant rear all that time and missed it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers