• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

All Non-Roman Catholics are Heathens

Zaerne

MBTI Type
INFP
In defense of the Church and to clear up some things,

1. That's not really a new doctrine.
2. Catholics don't believe that all non-Catholics go to hell.
3. The Orthodox Churches, of which holds the beliefs of the Catholic Church but do not answer to the authority of the Holy See, is a church in schism.
4. People sin.
5. I think it's awesome that they brought back the Latin masses. (which is not really much in subject, but...)

Zhash

Last edited:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If they bring back the Latin Mass, I might consider going back. I absolutely loved the Latin Mass. It was mystical and spritual.

I agree with you, I think that translating the Latin Mass into English is what created fundamentalists in the English speaking world. I like things that are beautiful like that because they have a more subjective meaning and it's easier not to take things literally, as opposed to when you can actually understand the words, thereby making it easier to take things literally.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
While I disagree with what the Pope said, I don't think it's doctrinally correct at all, I do like that this guy seems to be a real "sh#t or get off the pot" kind of leader. Of course there's a huge problem that can come from this or any other stilted teaching. One thing I hope is that a more boldness in faith attitude will abound from the top down.

That's all Jesus really wanted was for his Father's children to be faithful. Jesus was constantly getting on his crew for misinterpreting and misunderstanding but he was patient in correcting them. He knew people would make mistakes and grow.

Wasn't it James and John who were squabbling about who would get to sit next to Jesus when he was on his thrown in heaven - right before Jesus was to be crucified? But instead of getting like "Umm, helloooo, I'm right here!" and casting them out for thinking of themselves, he worked with them and allowed them to learn what God's desires were.

There's a lot of uncertainty. There's a lot to be disappointed by. It may start out rocky enough but I'm hopeful that this new Pope will instill a belief that God's children can move mountains and are overconquerers instead of whimpering about how bad things have gotten.

Of course I could be wrong and we could be facing The Empire Strikes Back: The Inquisition II but I think a lot of things will be corrected down the line but still favorable results will triumph for the faithful.

attila_the_hunny

MBTI Type
intp
They're just pissed because they aren't tithing me. The less Roman Catholics there are, the less money we give to support their habit of expensive churches and field trips with little boys.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
They're just pissed because they aren't tithing me. The less Roman Catholics there are, the less money we give to support their habit of expensive churches and field trips with little boys.

Don't forget, you can buy your forgiveness, too! Buy one murder get one free!

-Geoff

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Yeah, there's been a ecumenical effort going on for years, but I reckon this is the nail in that coffin.

yeah, the new pope is totally wrecking catholicism and ecumenicism as he wipes his butt with everything good about vatican ii (vatican ii, i hold, is probably one of the most important things that has happened in recent history). screw that guy.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
While I disagree with what the Pope said, I don't think it's doctrinally correct at all, I do like that this guy seems to be a real "sh#t or get off the pot" kind of leader.

How can the Pope be doctrinally incorrect? I thought by definition of Catholic doctrine that the Pope is always doctrinally correct.

darlets

This is one of my pet hates. By giving money to them people are supporting them and in a way saying that's their behaviour is o.k. People can say they do alot of good but there exists other charities that do the good with a whole lot less bad.

If Oxfam built a giant multi million dollar complex with peoples donations there would be massive uproar, but you build a church and it's O.K?

The 2 billion dollars they've paid out in compo is peoples money that they've donated. It would have been better for all parties involved to just get the priests a hooker, or heaven forbid allow them to marry.

attila_the_hunny

MBTI Type
intp
This is one of my pet hates. By giving money to them people are supporting them and in a way saying that's their behaviour is o.k. People can say they do alot of good but there exists other charities that do the good with a whole lot less bad.

Catholic Church: Look, we're helping people! See all the good we do?
Regular people: Oh, I'm glad I could pay for that for you.

Thanks, but no thanks. I can donate money without having an agenda of pro-abstinence and only offering care to people unless they convert.

darlets

Even an atheist can grow tired of bashing the Catholic Sect.

People really should read what they did to support the Nazi's during and post WWII.

Anyway, hopefully as their morals continue to become increasingly estranged away from the mainstream, people will be force to question the Sect's role in society.

Zaerne

MBTI Type
INFP
Umm...the Catholic Church is not a sect. It's really to big to be one.

Oh and tithing? That's even really not required. I went to a Protestant church service, thinking it was a baptism in a Catholic Church, then after arriving thinking it was a baptism in a Protestant Church, but then again what was I thinking? It turned out to be a "dedication" and the sermon ended up being on we should donate 10% of our salary minimum to the ministry.

I tend not to believe anything more of the "The Roman Catholic Church is evil because they supported the Nazi" or "The Catholic Church is evil because of the Inquisitions and Crusades" since people tend to exaggerate and be biased.

Yes, the Pope is always infallible in matters of faith and morals. People tend to oversimplify papal infallibility. It's not even that the Pope will say the right thing, it's just that the Holy Spirit will prevent him from saying wrong teaching and only in matters of faith and morals. Papal infallibility does not touch on personal opinions and sins. Actually, there was one pope who wanted to publish something doctrinally wrong. He died before he was able to do so.

"Mainstream" isn't always correct, and the Catholic Church, if one may remember, has indeed greatly help the advance of civilization.

If someone answers to this, I'll write more, but if not, well then...
Anyway I must be getting to sleep.

Zaerne

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, somebody decided to get created, that's really...odd. I have to admit Pope Benedict doesn't have the gentlest face but whoever got the idea of connecting those two?

Bushranger

MBTI Type
INTP
It may have had something to do with the last photo on this page:
Pope Benedict or Emperor Palpatine? - Unsought Input
I just find the resemblance amusing.

Zaerne said:
Yes, the Pope is always infallible in matters of faith and morals. People tend to oversimplify papal infallibility. It's not even that the Pope will say the right thing, it's just that the Holy Spirit will prevent him from saying wrong teaching and only in matters of faith and morals. Papal infallibility does not touch on personal opinions and sins. Actually, there was one pope who wanted to publish something doctrinally wrong. He died before he was able to do so.

Nothing to do with Pope Benedict, but I will refer you to the Cadaver Synod.
Historically fascinating, in a morbid way.

Zaerne

MBTI Type
INFP
Oh my...I meant "creative"...Well, yes...ehem, there is resemblance, but that blog, I must say also, is biased and looks at the papacy narrow-mindedly.

Cadaver Synod? Yes, certainly disturbing... Is that against my whole statement? Or is it just a random comment? I'm not sure of your intention but if it is against papal infallibility then, sorry I don't see how it can be. If it is just a comment, yeah some popes were very horrible.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
anyone ever appreciated the irony that when poeple are about to die in the operating room their relatives are soothed by the doctor's technical desriptions of the patient's condition which supposedly signifies the professionalism and competence of the doctor and the technical talk being - incidentally - in latin?

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
How can the Pope be doctrinally incorrect? I thought by definition of Catholic doctrine that the Pope is always doctrinally correct.

Actually, the pope is only recognized as infallible when he is speaking ex cathedra. He probably has a funny hat specifically for the occasion. Don't ask me where the hell they get the doctrine of infallibility from in the bible.

As for apostolic succession, it was probably a good idea around 200-300 AD, but, as an idea, it really relies on the teacher testing and "signing off" on all the doctrinal views of the student, and I'm bloody certain that didn't always happen in church history. After so many ridiculous centuries of openly corrupt clergy, the idea of apostolic succession seems to have become based on a purely spiritual transference of authority, and as such isn't worth much imo.