User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by raincrow007 View Post
    Does that mean you're safe by default, RC?
    The excuse of the Church.

Apologia is for the losers.
    Excuse however is for the winners.

MBTI
    INFJ

Exclamation Misguided Hatred

When the Holy Father said that other churches are not as complete as the Catholic Church, he is refering to their theology, and NOT condemming anyone to Hell. The Catholic Church has NEVER NEVER NEVER declared anyone has ever gone to Hell--only that there are people who have gone to Heaven--saints. As I read one Catholic author saying--"we are obliged to believe that there is a Hell, but not that there is anyone in it."

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by OctaviaCaesar View Post
    When the Holy Father said that other churches are not as complete as the Catholic Church, he is refering to their theology, and NOT condemming anyone to Hell. The Catholic Church has NEVER NEVER NEVER declared anyone has ever gone to Hell--only that there are people who have gone to Heaven--saints. As I read one Catholic author saying--"we are obliged to believe that there is a Hell, but not that there is anyone in it."
    Thank you!

The article to me just sounds like the Pope restating the view that the Catholic church has had ever since Martin Luther's reformation. This view is that Catholic and Protestant churches are not the same. We believe in the same God and we use the same Bible (not counting the removed Deuterocanonical books in the OT), but we don't agree on how to go about worshiping and going to heaven. Because of this, the two will never be compatible with each other no matter how much anyone (Catholic or Protestant) tries. Heck, it's not like all Protestant religions are united anyways.

Catholics believe that the the church instituted by Jesus has to be: one, holy, catholic ("universal"), and apostolic; which is all taken from the Bible. It's been like this way before Protestantism existed and it wont change.
    (The Marks of the Church)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    ISTx

lol @ religious bigots.

MBTI
    ENTP

I don't get it - nothing's changed, that was always the stance of the RC.

It's not all other churches though is it? I mean, they acknowledge the Eastern Orthodox, I'm sure of it. And there are pretty strong links also between RC's and High Anglicans too - but we're not proper Protestants - at least I don't consider myself a Protestant.

But last I heard, Pope JP said that though other churches are not true churches, that doesn't mean that non RC Christians can't still go to heaven, depending on various other stuff. But basically it doesn't mean that all non RC's are going to hell in the RC's opinion.

EDIT - oh, I see Octavia already said that. Never mind then, carry on.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFJ

"Since the Eastern schism began, the Orthodox have generally claimed that the pope has only a primacy of honor among the bishops of the world, not a primacy of authority. But the concept of a primacy of honor without a corresponding authority cannot be derived from the Bible. At every juncture where Jesus speaks of Peter’s relation to the other apostles, he emphasizes Peter’s special mission to them and not simply his place of honor among them."

The differences between the Orthodox and Catholic churches are minor when you compare the difference between the Catholics and the Protestants. I really don't believe Anglicans have a close connection to Catholicism unless you count the Anglo-Catholics.

Protestants canons exclude the Deuterocanonical books and believe that belief in Jesus is all that is required for salvation. Differences in beliefs in the path to salvation and the unjustified removal of inspired books puts a deep valley between the two churches. This is why the Pope said they are not guaranteed salvation because that was only granted to those who are part of the church instituted by Jesus; aka Catholics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    ENTJ

MBTI
    beep
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Hey, that's fine with me. The more heathens, the better
    Previous username: EliaBlack

Always nice to know that I'm fucking right about everything again.

There used to be a smiley which was like Yay or something, were did it go, this is the perfect occasion for it.

Roman Catholics, Anglo-Catholics, Vatican Two Catholics, Concilor Catholics, Latin Catholics, Traditionalist?

I'm not even exhibiting anything near an exhaustive knowledge of the diversity there, its stupid to talk about it in that monolithic sense. Even though there's the code of canon law.